Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Issues with my new HH :(

Hey there guys, Been reading up on how tight to hang the hammock.

For some reason I thought I had it too tight. But i see that the ridgeline doesnt really stretch.

But the issue I am having is the lay of the hammock. It seems that when I hang my HH Deluxe side zip that once I am in it, there is a tight area in the hammock itself running parallel to the ridgeline. So if I lay on my back, on a diagonal like im supposed to, my lower back/hip section is actually a little higher than my head and my feet.

I didnt see anyone talking about this issue from what I have read. I have hung it up on 6 different occasions and it still happens.

BTW I am using the Whoopie Slings. If that even matters.

I figured that if I cant get this issue fixed, I might have to call HH about it.

side note: When I last had it hung, I noticed that the ends where the fabric is rolled together, seems to have the center line area a little tighter, and then the bunched up areas were rolled down....if that makes sense. I might hang it up tomorrow in the yard and attempt to take a few pictures.

Thanks in advance!!!!

-Cab

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colicab View Post
    It seems that when I hang my HH Deluxe side zip that once I am in it, there is a tight area in the hammock itself running parallel to the ridgeline. So if I lay on my back, on a diagonal like im supposed to, my lower back/hip section is actually a little higher than my head and my feet.
    These two sentences seem to have no relation whatsoever. If there is a tight area (do you mean a ridge?) how would that cause your back and hips to be higher than your head and feet? It sounds physically impossible. A nylon hammock can't do that; you'd need a wooden or concrete hammock specifically designed to raise your hips above your head and feet. What you're describing sounds like a yoga pose:

I noticed that the ends where the fabric is rolled together, seems to have the center line area a little tighter, and then the bunched up areas were rolled down....if that makes sense.
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to this; it's probably a red herring. Is this your first hammock?

If you do have an issue with "calf ridge," there are tons of threads on this forum about it. Warbonnet users sometimes have this issue, and I've had the issue in a Hennessy Expedition. Raising the foot end higher than the head end is a common fix.

I always hang my Hennessy Expedition pretty tight; I don't like any slack in the ridgeline.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 12-11-2013 at 22:39.

Think of the material where it is gathered end to end. Which runs parallel to the ridge line essentially.

Okay, so I hang my hammock. I use instructions given, watch videos on it and even got ideas from this website.

Now when I crawl in, and lay at a diagonal (for the flattest lay) The area of the hammock that falls under my butt and hips is a little higher than the areas where the foot box and head box are. It just seems that it was tightened or gathered a little too much in those areas.

I guess I will have to take some pictures.....

It sounds like you have the hammock too tight. Is the ridge line tight like a guitar string?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Now when I crawl in, and lay at a diagonal (for the flattest lay) The area of the hammock that falls under my butt and hips is a little higher than the areas where the foot box and head box are. It just seems that it was tightened or gathered a little too much in those areas.

Pics with you in it, otherwise we can't see what you're talking about!

The ends of a HH usually have a cover held on by a zip tie. If you cut that zip tie, you can see how the hammock is gathered. I personally don't think you're describing a manufacturing defect, rather the lay and design of a Hennessy.

Maybe you are taking a radical diagonal lay, though I would think that's impossible in a Hennessy. Try shortening up diagonal.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Sounds like a tight center ridge from the wrong hang angle or a screwed up ridge line.

I think one of the clues is the whoopee slings. If you took the hammock apart to install the slings all bets are off as to what happened with the ridge line. That is why I keep preaching against modifying suspensions until after one has experience in how the hammock should behave.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    loosen it a little and raise the foot end higher.
    See how that feels.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Images
    Think of the material where it is gathered end to end. Which runs parallel to the ridge line essentially.

Okay, so I hang my hammock. I use instructions given, watch videos on it and even got ideas from this website.

I'm with SSurfer, this sounds the opposite of anything I have ever seen with a hammock, and almost impossible. Hard to even guess what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Sounds like a tight center ridge from the wrong hang angle or a screwed up ridge line.

I think one of the clues is the whoopee slings. If you took the hammock apart to install the slings all bets are off as to what happened with the ridge line. That is why I keep preaching against modifying suspensions until after one has experience in how the hammock should behave.
    Did you install the whoopies or did you buy it used with the suspension altered? If you call HH, I would not really get into the suspension if it can be avoided. Altered hammocks void warranties.

Stupid question, but are you laying left or right? Most hammocks with an asymmetric cut are made to lay right ( feet to the right) HH included. Personally I like a left lay, so the first time I tried my kids HH I naturally put my feet to the left and it felt all kinds of weird.

Another thing to check is, are you getting your butt in the center? Times when I get in and have my butt to far to one side I notice a center ridge as well.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    HHS Newbie has 2 deluxe's one had an adjustable ridge line and the other did not. He had the same issue of a ridge under him with the one with out the adjustable ridge line.
    I would check and see how the ridge line is attached after you changed to whoopies.
    I would also play around with the height of your tree straps and how tight you make the suspension. I went with the 30* angle on the suspension and changed the ridge line to an adjustable. Seems to work pretty good. I have the expedition currently. Just ordered a deluxe and will be changing the suspension and ridge line when it arrives.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast