Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    Hello hangers,

I need to produce 7 inexpensive underquilts or equivalent hammock insulation in the next 30 days. I don't have the budget to buy state of the art UQs, and this is a one-time event, so probably I won't be using those very often in the future.

I have read some threads here on vapor barriers, insensible perspiration and so on, but honestly, I'm having a hard time concentrating on all the small details, so this is the idea I have, and I'd love it if some of you could offer your opinion and if possible a way to improve the idea:

I've thought about making 7 UQs out of tablecloth fabric, and fitting inside each of them a space blanket as the insulation/heat reflector material. I suspect I won't encounter temperatures lower than 60ºF.

So that's it in terms of my question. If you want to know the details of this predicament, read on:

Our company runs trekking expeditions in the tropics. In the steamy jungle environment, a hammock, a 2/3 pad and a tarp is all you really need.

However in about a month we have a group of 7 trekkers. Everything is working fine with the trip preparation, except that now the clients want to climb and camp up on a mountain that was previously not part of the trip. Originally we were going to camp at the base and then climb up a side ridge as a day hike to look for snakes, but now they're worried that climbing up and down on the same day is going to burn them out, so they now prefer to extend the trip and camp one night up on the mountain.

This poses a problem for us because the temperatures are going to be much lower up there (60ºF as opposed to 75ºF down at the base) and we don't have enough insulation for 7 hammocks aside from the foam pads they'll be using at the base. And like I said above, we don't have the budget or enough time to order 7 underquilts. So, this requires a creative approach.

The clients are bringing their own sleeping bags, and I've thought about just simply using full length pads, but I'm worried about the fact that they only protect the back, not the sides of the user. Also, these clients are not used to hammock camping, and perhaps you all can relate to how frustrating it is wrestling with a sleeping bag and a pad for the first time, especially if you need to get out in the middle of the night to pee. So, I'd prefer to spare them that frustration, and just go with the UQs.

If you folks have any ideas, or have experimented with the space blankets, let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

R
    If the area is in the Chirique area, and the mt. is very high, then prepare for 40's or a bit lower. I froze my tail off in Boquete in a bed with three light blankets.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    It sounds like what your should be making is a double layer underquilt protector where you can put the reflectix inside the layers? At the very least, what you're talking about doing will be a very good wind block, or at least reduce the adverse affect of wind on your setup.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    1- that they don't wrap around the arms, and therefore, that sides might get cold. Unless you tell me that you never get cold on the sides of your arms when using a pad, and
    CCF pads aren't meant to protect the sides - your clients have sleeping bags for that. If your arms are getting cold using a pad, it's your sleeping bag's fault.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Thank you fellers,

Those are all great ideas. I'll look for the IX material. I'll experiment with a few of those and hopefully will report back on my findings.

Cheers,

Rick
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12