Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Single

Another noob question ... tarp or no tarp?

I have a nice window to get out this week (Mo-We), which means that I do not have time to make a last minute purchase (yes, that I should have done months ago, urgh). Bottom line, I do not have a tarp.

The weather forcast looks, well, pretty freaking SWEET:
    Mo, Tue & We = Hi/Lo of 80/50 and a 10% - 20% chance of rain

On second thought, I've got one of those blue sh!tty tarps you can find at Wal Mart.

#1 Can I make the said sh!tty tarp work?
    #2 Or should I make some super human effort to burrow a real tarp??
    #3 Sleeping bag choice: Cheap and crappy 25 deg down bag or the trusty, big bulky 0 deg synthetic bag (6 miles in, 6 miles out)

I am planning a 3 person trip in June, all beginners hanging in hammocks, where the weather will be mid-90's and probably less than 0% chance to rain.

Final question:

#4 Does the tarp provide additional warmth? I know that wind plays a factor: When it's windy, the tarp adds warmth ... right? Overall, what do I need to purchase for my low-budget beginner hammocking pals?

I just need to get my arse in gear and buy me a tarp (or 3?). Thx for the advice and info.

zul

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Your personal experience may vary, but when I go camping, anything above a 2% chance of rain means IT WILL RAIN. I have often considered peddling my services to local farmers... collecting money to go camping when they need the rain.

So yes, I would either borrow a tarp or take the one you already have.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    1. The first time I went out, I used a brown walmart tarp. I paid the price for it. They are heavier, don't compact well, and the grommets break under a significant wind. I had a storm roll in and rip the tarp apart at the ridgeline grommets.

2. If you can, borrow one. If not, you can use the walmart tarp. Just don't expect it too much from it.

3. A low of 50 degrees isn't bad. I'd pick the bag that is the lightest since both will work for you.

4. As I've understood it, yes, the tarp does provide some warmth. It traps your body heat in there with you instead of letting it immediately escape to the winds. Another thing a tarp is good for is a heat reflector. If you put your tarp up and prop the side that's not facing the wind, you can put a campfire not too far out in front of it. Your tarp will trap and reflect back the heat coming off the campfire. I did a trial run of this in my backyard. I used my DIY hammock, a down bag, tarp, and a campfire. I was warm all night. The temp dropped to 30 degrees. Even after the campfire went out in the early morning, I still stayed warm since my tarp, hammock, and down bag were radiating the heat that they had absorbed from the fire.

Hope that helped.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Do you _need_ a tarp to hammock camp? No! Emphatically not. The only thing you _need_ to camp in a hammock is a hammock!

It's that simple. Does a tarp help make the experience more pleasurable? Under some circumstance the answer is emphatically yes!. But what you are willing to put up with is your choice. You can probably make a box full of plastic tall kitchen garbage bags perform the task of keeping you dry/warm if you really want to make the effort. But will they perform the task as pleasurably as a well made DIY BlackCat clone? Of course not.

It's up to you.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I slept out without the tarp two out of three nights, last trip. But I had the tarp with me just in case, cause if I didn't, it would have rained for sure.

Hammock
    ENO Single
    I like the "all's you need to camp in a hammock, is a hammock" thought; but also appreciating the tarp making things more comfortable and at some level, it's just a safe choice. Because I am lazy ... and in a pinch, I'll be giving the wally world tarp a shot and get a real tarp over the next few weeks. Plenty of time to procrastinate on that (again

Thx. zul

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images

Exclamation for sale

Optimus crux, I lit it but it has not been used. in box, folds very small. Least expensive i have seen one 42.50$, for sale 35$ includes shipping, Lovely piece of engeneering gnome

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Will you need protection from the sun when the hammocks are up? The tarp can also act as a sun shade. I use my tarp as protection from wind, rain, snow, sun.

As for tarp adding warmth. Depends on size of tarp. My small original Hennessy tarp does not provide much warmth when it's windy. But my large 11 x 10 tarp definitely does when I stake tarp close to ground and tie ends to close them up. Some people will even gather duff or snow and close up any gaps close to the ground to stop the wind.

As for your sleeping bag question. You say the predicted low is 50. I always pack for 10 to 15 degrees lower than the predicted forecast in case the weather changes a bit. That takes you down to 35 or 40 degrees. How cold do you sleep and which bag will keep you warm at 35 degrees?

Are you taking pads for underinsulation?
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 05-03-2009 at 11:13.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    always, always, always pack a tarp!! It WILL rain if you don't!!!
    of your two sleeping bags, carry the lightest weight one.
    I hope you have some kind of under insulation too.
    have you tried your setup in the backyard? or near your vehical ?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    On my last trip to the Smokies this spring we didn't have any rain but we camped under a group of pine trees. Sap was dripping off the trees constantly. When I got home I just had to clean the sap off the tarp instead of having to get it out of my hammock netting, sleeping bag, etc. It could have been really messy. Quick tip: Rubbing alcohol takes sap right off!

Another reason is I can't sleep with any light so my black MambaJamba helps me to sleep in past 6 am.

Oh another is that if you're even near a campfire the ash will come down on your hammock. I had ash all over my tarp last time that would have been a mess in the hammock.

I definitely vote for the tarp.
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast