warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE

Talking source of pack weight

after getting home and unpacking the the pack from a test run i find the source of my weight to be my 0 degree nebo grizzly, at 6.7 lbs!!!!! went to rei looking at bags yesterday, i see a good ultralight bag is gonna cost a good pretty penny i can't see that kind of coin for a bag
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Lightweight means you need a heavy wallet. My 20 degree bag weighs in at 4lbs, but I will take the extra 2 pounds to save $200-300, at least for now.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Images
    You can solve any problem if you throw enough time and/or money at it. Time to make something lighter or money to buy new.

Close to the same point myself. Already spent some time and money over the last few years. Time to spend for little weight savings.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Like I tell my scouts: the lighter it weighs, the more it cost!!
    That's why there are so many directions of "how to make your own" !!
    With a little bit of patience and a sewing machine, you can do it. Most of the sewing is straight line, I found the hardest part was finding a source for down. And the clean-up after trying to stuff it into my quilts. I've just now started reading, I think it's Just Jeff's homemade gear page and he's got a really nifty way to stuff down into the quilt. Do some reading and look around at all the gear you can make. I believe it's Thru-hiker web site that has kits for sale??

Images
    Some say it's better and cheaper to start with the best than to be constantly trying to upgrade and being stuck with money tied up in second-rate stuff you don't like. Top quality gear, if you find you don't like it, is easier to re-sell at a small discount than unsatisfactory gear at any price. Stick with what you're using until you can get the good stuff. Then call JRB or Ed Speer for the best there is. They have operators standing by to take your call.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaknut01 View Post
    after getting home and unpacking the the pack from a test run i find the source of my weight to be my 0 degree nebo grizzly, at 6.7 lbs!!!!! went to rei looking at bags yesterday, i see a good ultralight bag is gonna cost a good pretty penny i can't see that kind of coin for a bag
    Spring is a GREAT time of the year to find a great closeout sale on winter sleeping bags...
    Keep your eyes open online...I went to Sierra Trading Posts just to check...TNF 0*F synthetic bag...$64 and 4 lb 10 oz (not light but you'd save 2 lbs for $64)
    you can find great deals if you look
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

check ebay also. A few yrs ago I bought my Marmot Helium 15° bag for 250.00. It weighs 18 ounces
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Don't forget the mighty Steep & Cheap!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    my 20 degree bag clocks in at just above 5lbs, doesn't pack down very well and is only really good for 2 or 3 months of the year when it's "cold" out. I was sweating at sehha a couple of weeks ago and ended up sleeping with it bunched around my feet most of the night.

I paid 70 bucks for it when I bought it. I've used it 6 or 7 times and still wouldn't get rid of it, but I would get far more use out of a much more expensive quilt than I will out of the bag. There is some truth to the thought of buying the best from the start instead of buying entry level gear to decide if you like it.

There's more to a sleep system than the bag. Looking at other components (clothing, pads, quilts, etc.) may lead to a system that is both lighter and cheaper.

Since I started hammock hangin' I haven't used a sleeping bag or top cover. Even in the depths of summer I have to be prepared for freezing night time temps in my home range so I always carry cold weather clothing. That clothing hardly ever gets daytime use May-October but every night it's the main part of my sleep system.

FB

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast