Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    But remember that you can get by with a colder sleeping bag (that will weigh less) by using the cloths that you already are carrying. Personally I used a 40 degree bag in the army when it was 0 degrees by using everything in my pack, it was cold but it worked, and I saved a lot of weight by doing so.
    Last edited by Chris.Biomed; 05-04-2009 at 09:12.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Like I tell my scouts: the lighter it weighs, the more it cost!!
    That's why there are so many directions of "how to make your own" !!
    With a little bit of patience and a sewing machine, you can do it. Most of the sewing is straight line, I found the hardest part was finding a source for down. And the clean-up after trying to stuff it into my quilts. I've just now started reading, I think it's Just Jeff's homemade gear page and he's got a really nifty way to stuff down into the quilt. Do some reading and look around at all the gear you can make. I believe it's Thru-hiker web site that has kits for sale??
    TinaLouise,
    Maybe I need to see you about some sewing. My sewing experience consists of a few buttons.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Spring is a GREAT time of the year to find a great closeout sale on winter sleeping bags...
    Keep your eyes open online...I went to Sierra Trading Posts just to check...TNF 0*F synthetic bag...$64 and 4 lb 10 oz (not light but you'd save 2 lbs for $64)
    you can find great deals if you look
    Got my Golite Odyssey pack for $80, msrp $200. Got to love the discount sites right now.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    So what about these packs with 25-35 lbs? Are these real good choices for going the UL or pretty light pack route? I don't want to give up too much comfort and ease of packing just to save 2 or 3 lbs, but I am about ready to give it a try. ( IOW, I am already down to about 30-35 lbs total pack weight with food and water- but I carry it in a McHale pack ( http://www.mchalepacks.com/ ) designed for way heavier loads. This pack weighs 5 to 6 lbs depending on what options I take or leave behind, but it is so comfortable and roomy. It looks like I could save 2 to 3 lbs going with one of these Golite packs.

But are these the ones to go with, are they highly regarded among the UL pack group? They are $65 for the Lite-Speed ( 2 lb. 11 oz. 3300 ci for large) or $75 for Pursuit at 3300 cu.in. and 3 lb. 1 oz.)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So what about these packs with 25-35 lbs? Are these real good choices for going the UL or pretty light pack route? I don't want to give up too much comfort and ease of packing just to save 2 or 3 lbs, but I am about ready to give it a try. ( IOW, I am already down to about 30-35 lbs total pack weight with food and water- but I carry it in a McHale pack ( http://www.mchalepacks.com/ ) designed for way heavier loads. This pack weighs 5 to 6 lbs depending on what options I take or leave behind, but it is so comfortable and roomy. It looks like I could save 2 to 3 lbs going with one of these Golite packs.

But are these the ones to go with, are they highly regarded among the UL pack group? They are $65 for the Lite-Speed ( 2 lb. 11 oz. 3300 ci for large) or $75 for Pursuit at 3300 cu.in. and 3 lb. 1 oz.)
    ULA has the pack you need, either a Catalyst or a Circuit.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    <changing>
    Insulation
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    My $65 LiteSpeed should be waiting for me when I get home

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Billybob, I don't know if you can find ULA packs near you to try, but I couldn't, and I won't drop that kind of money on a pack without trying it on. I found the Atmos 50 (osprey) and the Gregory Z55 to be awesome packs. They're made for a 30lb sweet spot, but they can both be overloaded.

Steep And Cheap has had the Z55 on about 5 times this month for under $100 bucks (retail $200). I bought one the last time it popped up.

Images
    Thanks, every one!

I had a Golite Trek that was great. It was rated at 30 lbs but it would carry 35 lbs easily. I used it on a 7 day backpack in the Sierras. I now have a Golite Jam2 that I will be using next weekend
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY dlb 1.9/1.5
    Tarp
    10x10
    Insulation
    DIY 5oz CS UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBuckles Strap
    Images
    The source of my pack weight isn't the 5llbs worth of sleeping bag I carry, it's the 50 lbs around my waist that need to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast