WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20* PhoUQ + Bag
    Suspension
    Standard Webbing

How cold is cold?

I've lived in the Carolinas my whole life, and camped pretty regularly throughout. Highs of 100 here and there, but the lowest I've ever stayed in was MAYBE 20°F. I'm well prepared for this kind of weather. However, I'm about to move to Northern Wyoming in the Bighorn Basin, a couple weeks ago it was -23°F there. I have no idea what that is like. Someone from Wyo compared it as -20 is 40 degrees less than 20, so imagine the difference between 60 and 20, and then again.

For all you deep cold hangers and campers out there, how is the adjustment? How much more preparation is there? Just the adjustment for life in general in such cold and altitude will probably take a while.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    -20 is painful. It's constant work and constant mindfulness of what your doing and how your doing it and what is going on around you. Camping in that weather is work. Think 1000's more calories per day, think how to most efficiently get fire wood, and water.

Not to scare you off, it's amazing to see the world and woods in those conditions when so few others do. But I don't know that I would jump right into the deep end and venture out into that without building up to it. I winter camped for 2 years before heading out in anything below 0. There are a lot of very experienced winter campers here and you will get lots of advice but winter camping in extremes takes time to learn how to prepare and what gear you really need to bring to make it enjoyable.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This cold…….
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Yes becareful if you are not used to temps like that. Mistakes are felt very quickly! Lots of campouts in the ackyard before heading far from home.

Images
    Winter in Wyoming can be very cold but what i hate up there is the wind.
    I used to ice fish up there in winter but with a heated 4x4 popup camper.
    It can blow nonstop for weeks.
    In the 1800's people would go insane from the howling.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-17-2013 at 17:17.

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Yes becareful if you are not used to temps like that. Mistakes are felt very quickly! Lots of campouts in the ackyard before heading far from home.
    I agree with this. I have been out winter camping now for 8 years.....I think? It is best to start slow and safe in your own backyard. Even now I still do backyard tests anytime I switch out part of my gear for something different. Heck, i slept out last night to try some of the DIY gear I have made recently. It was about 10 F and I slept like a log. It is also a good excuse to give to my wife for sleeping in the hammock more often! It is for research and safety The coldest I have been out is -33F including wind chill. It was WORK the entire day and night. I was at the point of getting up and hiking after about 20 minutes of sitting by the fire thru the evening just to keep warm. You really have to have a fairly big fire to really be of much use as far as staying warm, or stay VERY close to a small fire. Cutting wood is a great way to stay warm too! But, my best advice is practice, practice, practice. It can get very serious very quickly at those temps. I find the risk is worth the reward though. The learning is fun in itself if done in a controlled environment(your back yard) I think the woods have a different feel to them at those temps and it is absolutely beautiful. Have fun!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Camping in that kind of cold is a lot of work and can be very dangerous. Start in a safe area with a good warm bail out option. It takes some time to find what works best for you.

It's nice to be able to say, "I did that!" but it's not something I want to do regularly or really want to do ever again. Cold like that hurts. Literally.

I don't go out on short jaunts in the dead of winter. It's just not as much fun. If I'm going out in the real cold (0 and below), I'm setting up a good base camp with a canvas wall tent and stove and I'm staying out for several days to make setting up the tent worthwhile. I'm also setting up the tent between some trees so I can hang inside of it.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Images
    Yes, listen to the others, camping below zero is a whole different ballpark. Take it slow, it'll take you years to really get it down. Take one aspect at a time so you don't feel too overwhelmed. Just learn as you go. But overall, it's straight forward once you figure it out, and a lot of fun.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    i live in worland wyoming, right in the big horn basin. Nice to know there are hangars nearby!

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    For sleeping and sitting around you just need ridiculous amounts of poofy down around you. When moving you might even forget how cold it is. However, tasks that require ungloved hands hurt, and require planning of what you'll do in what order before taking your hands out, and will need to be done in small batches. Additionally, while still air is tolerable, the addition of wind makes any exposed skin in danger.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast