Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I just want to say, "You guys have it so easy".
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    You see the best of the stars outside at 3 am.
    +1 on this. I often think I'm going to enjoy the stars when I lay down in my hammock, and then I'm asleep in two seconds. Truly one of the benefits of not staying in with the bottle. Of course, it can work the other way weather-wise, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Sorry if I am going to post alittle different...when I have to go,,i go outside the the tarp area. Most hunters will tell you..animals will avoid a area full of human scent. Pee is human scent. I am not going to carry a extra item just to pee in let alone try and pee in my hammock. Besides..when I am outside in the dark,,sometimes its refreshing just to take in the nite time surroundings and sounds if any. As far as my peeing on a bush or a tree..tell that to wildlife to stop and this human animal in the woods will refrain as well. (not that I pee on bushes and trees anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    Re: "#3 don't we all know that peeing around you site keeps the critters away."

Some critters maybe.
    The lack of salt in many areas and the fact that these animals are attracted to the scent. Deer and porcupines are the most common animals I see wandering around my camp in the middle of the night and they go right to those spots.
    LNT says pack it out for this reason. Not that I follow LNT to that degree.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    Two words....bridge hammock

I can pee off the side really really easy in a bridge hammock
    Yeah, and you can spin off on your ax, too!

I don't see how a bridge is better except perhaps less material on the sides to interfere? Seriously, I didn't like bridge tippiness and I think I'd feel myself going over and it would just be a mess once things got sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnerback View Post
    Kept a bottle in the hammock last night....did my business in the hammock with no problem.....
    Instructional video, please!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    LNT says pack it out for this reason.
    I still can't believe that...insane. I had to check around to make sure that wasn't a joke when I first heard it a few years ago.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    I've stated before that I use me pee as furtilizer. To most who hear me say that will respond with a damb he's gross look on their face.
    Now research government standards for tap water, you will find a 5 percent fecal matter as a standard.
    This is measured by suspended solids. Since pee is not a solid can you imagine how much pee we have consumed.
    During times of low rain fall our theory of dilution is the solution to pollution sure gets challenging. Do you think cities water supplies are shut down because of high contaminant levels, or do you think they pump it to you anyway to avoid what would be an end to their careers?
    The short of it is you drink a cocktail of poop and pee mixed with chemicals every time you fill a glass.
    The thought of having a few drops of pee on you that is sterile when first leaving the body will pale in comparison to what you drink every day.
    Last edited by hairbear; 12-23-2013 at 11:24.
    Great minds speak about ideas.
    Average minds speak about events.
    Small minds speak about people.
    E. Roosevelt

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Not picking on you guys, you're just the ones that happened to say it in this thread and this has been bugging me for a long time.

While I agree that I'm more comfortable and "feel" warmer if I don't hold it, I'm not buying the concept that your body wastes energy keeping the bladder contents warm. Pee entering the bladder is body temperature and with the bladder being inside the body, the only place it can lose heat is back to the body (so it can't lose heat).

Just my 0.02 and thanks for letting me state it.
    I know what you mean, I've thought about it a read several articles that have talked about it, but it's not about losing heat from the bladder, it's that your body has to heat all the mass in the body. More mass, more calories to maintain at given temp. I get up and go because I actually enjoy it in a way. I like to look out over the camp and sort of recon the situation. Usually it's peaceful and beautiful but I am quick to notice it and get back under my quilt.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    I've stated before that I use me pee as furtilizer. To most who hear me say that will respond with a damb he's gross look on their face.
    Now research government standards for tap water, you will find a 5 percent fecal matter as a standard.
    This is measured by suspended solids. Since pee is not a solid can you imagine how much pee we have consumed.
    During times of low rain fall our theory of dilution is the solution to pollution sure gets challenging. Do you think cities water supplies are shut down because of high contaminant levels, or do you think they pump it to you anyway to avoid what would be an end to their careers?
    The short of it is you drink a cocktail of poop and pee mixed with chemicals every time you fill a glass.
    The thought of having a few drops of pee on you that is sterile when first leaving the body will pale in comparison to what you drink every day.
    Maybe in some places but I'm not worried about that at all. My city has one of the best water filtration facilities in the country (consistently in the top 10 or 20 report each year for water quality). And I even filter it again at home for good measure.

Images
    The insinuation that HF is not inclusive is disappointing. HF is inclusive of all as long as the discussion is about the the main topic of hammocks. People with passionate views regarding other topics may begin to behave in an uncivil manner. Often the case at other places where civility is touted, the civility is confused with everyone with a different view has been silenced.

To maintain inclusiveness here at HF, the topics which are not hammock centric which cause passionate bouts of uncivil banter are not welcome. The members are still welcome to discuss hammocks. To balance civility and inclusiveness, topics are banned not people.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I don't know where you get the insinuation that we're not inclusive in this thread. We have folks that cover the gammut in this thread from those that won't use anything but a porta potty to others that dang near wet the hammock and dream happy thoughts. any more inclusion could only mean the addition of aliens and certain, non-aggressive forms of plant life.

The only uncivil thing I can think of is the "we're drinking liquid poo" line and man, I'm still shuddering on that one. I'm sure that is .5 of 1 percent and it includes carp poo which is hypoallergenic and an essential vitamin in several environments.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    [QUOTE=hairbear;1159701]I've stated before that I use me pee as furtilizer. To most who hear me say that will respond with a damb he's gross look on their face.

I knew I should not be reading this thread! I already have a bit of a battle with food, not thinking about how it was processed or what condition it was in before processing. I try not to think about all the chemicals that are not natural in our food. A few years ago I was very ill, I surprised everyone and lived to tell the story. That is where the problems with food came in. I am already flaky about water, I boil it before I drink it. Obsessive yes, I can not help myself, it is driving me crazy, let alone the people I live with.

I know the flour I purchase has insect parts in it and other impurities, now you are telling me how much fectile matter there is in water, depending on where you live. I guess I already know something is wrong with the water in the Columbia River, most all of my water pals have become ill, the common thread is boarding in the Columbia River.

I always thought the earth filtered out the urine, the idea was to not concentrate where we pee. I always go off the trail away from where I am Hanging. I had hoped that would be enough. I am not packing it out, that would really gross me out. Whatever I had it in would probably break or spill. Nope I will keep drinking lots of water, make my night trips and hope I am not polluting my world.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I think Roche's post got misplaced and relates to another thread.

As far as fecal matter in water goes, almost all water in the wild has fecal matter in it altho for the most part its not much . We are biological creatures living in a biological world. There is fecal matter everywhere including your bed, your pillows, couch, cell phone, food etc. North american culture gets way too brainwashed about cleanliness and of course the one's who benefit are the corporations selling you products.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast