Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Tarp Line Resolution Query

I have an new HG Standard Cuben Tarp w/ Doors that I want to set up tarp lines on. On my old HH Hex I had reflectix line with some shock cord tensioners at the D-rings and used a prusik at the stake to pull up the tension and hold the taught pitch. This worked really well and I was happy with it.

I know with the Cuben I don't need worry about sag like with the sil so no need for tensioners. So here is my question. What I want is to use the reflectix line, but have a loop in the end to go around the stake and do my pulling (tension setting) at the point where the line attaches to the tarp (the lines will need to stay attached to the tarp). I want to keep the line length to a minimum (4-5 feet at the corners and maybe 6-8 at the pullouts), keep the total weight to a minimum but be easy to use in 4 seasons. I never really liked the lines bundled in the dirt though I tolerated it. Want easy, reliable, light and clean.

How about some suggestions from my friends on the forum. Please where possible include photos with your descriptions (I can be a little slow of the up tick from time to time). I've got some time this holiday to set up this tarp and want to do it right the first time. Thanks in advance for your swift and innovative responses.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    I have an new HG Standard Cuben Tarp w/ Doors that I want to set up tarp lines on. On my old HH Hex I had reflectix line with some shock cord tensioners at the D-rings and used a prusik at the stake to pull up the tension and hold the taught pitch. This worked really well and I was happy with it.

I know with the Cuben I don't need worry about sag like with the sil so no need for tensioners. So here is my question. What I want is to use the reflectix line, but have a loop in the end to go around the stake and do my pulling (tension setting) at the point where the line attaches to the tarp (the lines will need to stay attached to the tarp). I want to keep the line length to a minimum (4-5 feet at the corners and maybe 6-8 at the pullouts), keep the total weight to a minimum but be easy to use in 4 seasons. I never really liked the lines bundled in the dirt though I tolerated it. Want easy, reliable, light and clean.

How about some suggestions from my friends on the forum. Please where possible include photos with your descriptions (I can be a little slow of the up tick from time to time). I've got some time this holiday to set up this tarp and want to do it right the first time. Thanks in advance for your swift and innovative responses.
    No plans for porch mode?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    taugh-tline hitches at the tarp ends closed loops at the stake end
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    No plans for porch mode?

Oh yes sir, Porch mode is a requirement as well.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Anxiously following this thread... I have the same tarp and I'm currently using mason line for my guy lines with taut line hitches at the stake end and a larkshead at the tarp end. My lines are about the same as yours: 4-6' at the corners, 3-4' for the doors, and about 8' for the pullouts. I think all 12 lines together weigh about 2-3 oz.

@scottpash - I like the idea of switching the taut line to the hammock end. That will keep the excess line out of the dirt a bit. I just might do that.

I've also toyed around with buying the little line-locs and switching to those. However, I really don't like the idea of adding 12 of them. There's so many dam lines coming off my tarp!!!!!

Images
    Just bumping for responses. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Images
    Hi DD,
    Well 4 seasons in MS probably means little to no snow, correct?
    Typically when there is snow you want longer lines so you have more options to tie off to roots, rocks, etc.

For porch mod I use 2 tieouts about 7' long. The back side lines are about 3'

For my doors I usually use shockcord and clips to hold them open and closed.

I don't have a lot of picts showing this, here's one on a bigger tarp to give you an idea on shockcord doors.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi DD,
    Well 4 seasons in MS probably means little to no snow, correct?
    Typically when there is snow you want longer lines so you have more options to tie off to roots, rocks, etc.

For porch mod I use 2 tieouts about 7' long. The back side lines are about 3'

For my doors I usually use shockcord and clips to hold them open and closed.

I don't have a lot of picts showing this, here's one on a bigger tarp to give you an idea on shockcord doors.

That's a darn fine photo. What I'm curious about is the adjustment mechanism, if I can use that term. I've thought about line locks but not sure if I want to attach them to the corners and run line through there so my adjustment is at the corner or use a prusik at the corners, and again, the adjustment point closer up. Or use the line locks in a more traditional format.

I may not have phrased the question well and obviously that is my short coming. I just don't like the loose ends of the lines in the dirt. I want the adjustment point to be higher up so I'm not stooping as much to make adjustments, and I want the "mechanism" to be simple and as bulletproof as I can get it.

Hope I'm being more clear now than before.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    That's a darn fine photo. What I'm curious about is the adjustment mechanism, if I can use that term. I've thought about line locks but not sure if I want to attach them to the corners and run line through there so my adjustment is at the corner or use a prusik at the corners, and again, the adjustment point closer up. Or use the line locks in a more traditional format.

I may not have phrased the question well and obviously that is my short coming. I just don't like the loose ends of the lines in the dirt. I want the adjustment point to be higher up so I'm not stooping as much to make adjustments, and I want the "mechanism" to be simple and as bulletproof as I can get it.

Hope I'm being more clear now than before.
    Oh OK,
    If I understand your question you want to reverse the line so the adjustment is at the corner tieouts of the tarp and the fixed end is at the stake?

Images
    There ya go! Now, what are my options if any other than the two I mentioned?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast