Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images

Snowy OMW

Nothing new here, just sharing a bit about a preferred piece of kit.

Have had my Old Man Winter deployed daily since receiving end of last year, all part of my under the stars for a year project.

Been using the spreader bars about half that time.

Got about 9 inches of snow followed by a couple inches of slush and rain the following day. These pics were snapped a day after that and the rain had washed away much of the snow and what was left was a crusty weight.

Normally I would not have the spreader bars in use under these conditions as the simple A Frame setup sheds the snow better. Just didn't remember to take them off. Here's hoping the OMW will see much more snow in the near future.

Had to clear the tarp 3 times, hence the piles around the bottom.

Can't say enough about this tarp, really enjoy using it. The doors are a must have for wind break. 8+ months of daily use has given me a real perspective on what this tarp is and what it isn't and short of light hiking, this is my goto shelter.

While I have not tried some of the other excellent tarps offered by our cottage makers, my experience with tarps dates back to 1978 when I first started backpacking, my pack was 8 lbs and a tarp was my shelter back then. Encouraging folks to use tarp, imho, helps them enjoy the wilderness just a little bit more each day they are out there.

I will be adding more pics to my WL OMW album here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p?albumid=3206

Images
    Hi Ratdog, Great report and picts.

"under the stars for a year project"
    That sounds very interesting have you done other posting/gear used reports on the project?

I have a question on the OMW tarp if you don't mind.
    This is the third picture I have seen posted, by different members in the last week where the OMW tarp ridgeline is not straight.
    Especially when the pole/pullouts are deployed.

So here's my questions.
    Is the RL straight or catcut like a wb superfly.
    Is this sagging in the middle part of the tarps design or are you guys just not pulling the RL tighter when using the poles.

I ask because I like standing up under my tarp so I will typically set it higher than most.

Thanks

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I have been posting, messaging on a family blog about the year outdoors.

Some of them have begged me to stop sending my good morning messages about the evening sounds or angry owl noise or the deer walking past or whatever. Others miss it when I don't check in every morning.

It all started as a 1-2 week checkout of gear. 2 weeks, my dad suggested going for 30 days because that's just the kind of guy he is. 30 became 90 days, 90 days became 6 months and then the year was the obvious goal at that point.

Haven't been 100% outdoors, there have been the odd nights spent indoors because of working late, 'overnight guest', etc. but there hasn't been a month where my days indoors could be counted on one hand.

The most amazing things are, the noises of the nights, fox mating calls, angry owls, deer loud as godzilla crunching through the snow waking me out of a sound sleep not 6 ft away and moonlight so bright I actually get out of the hammock thinking someone is shining a spotlight on me.

I do intend to gather up my messages and write something up at some point, not sure if it would in the form of an article, short story or what, but I will share eventually.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    As for the ridge line, your observation is accurate. The cause is the placement of the pull outs for the spreader poles.

The pull outs are low enough on the side of the tarp that they force the ridge line down where the spreader bar crosses the peak. Doesn't matter how far out you stake the sides of the tarp, it's going to happen.

Rainman's recent post on using a short length of cord instead of the included grommet straps allows for raising the bars somewhat but I don't see it eliminating the problem.

I have seen, but have not yet tried, mounting the spreader bars horizontally on either side and staking it out that way.

The cat cuts on the sides do not enter into the equation as far as I can tell and the ridge line is NOT cat cut.

When rigging in porch mode, my preferred setup, I rarely use the spreader bars as I have ample room on the porch side. Even so, sometimes I leave them attached.

The extra room is noticeable and useful especially in foul weather. Had plenty of company one rainy day as we squeezed 3 chairs, a small table and myself in the hammock (using it as a chair) for meal time.

The only negative aspects in my mind are; remember to seam seal the pull outs, both the circular reinforcement patch as well as the triangular strap attachment point. Not so much a negative as it is standard operating procedure but it should be noted. And because I use a WBBB (now XLC) I am pretty much entering and exiting the hammock from one side so the extra space goes on the opposite side of the hammock goes unused much of the time. Though it is a handy place to stash gear on the ground cloth.

Come to think of it, 'negatives' isn't the correct term, considerations would be more appropriate I think.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Ah, must also mention, the tighter you pull the tarp, the more pronounced the push down not the ridge line by the spreader bar will be.

This does create a gathering place for water and a potential leak point because you have something in contact with the silnylon.

I addressed this issue by seam sealing with Permatex flowable silicone as suggested here on the site. Much prefer the Permatex to the regular seam sealer I have been using for decades.

Having said all that, I have survived all the rain we have had here in the northeast, and there has been a lot, we very few issues. Can count on one hand the number of times I have had a leak, and it has been in the form of drip, drip, drip. I did capture some video of it and will ultimately produce an OMW video.

Again, after proper seam sealing, no worries.

My customization efforts have included 3/32 shock cords lengths attached to the door corners allowing me to attach to the opposite corner stake out point or loop it over the side pullout and back to the ridge tie out to hold the door open. (pics would help here) And an attempt at fully enclosing it with curtain sheers to act as mosquito net knee walls as I camp in a swamp.

Silnylon knee walls that attach via zipper are in the works as I too prefer to rig the tarp so I can stand underneath but then I lose the wind break for the bottom of the hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post

snip...

My customization efforts have included 3/32 shock cords lengths attached to the door corners allowing me to attach to the opposite corner stake out point or loop it over the side pullout and back to the ridge tie out to hold the door open. (pics would help here) And an attempt at fully enclosing it with curtain sheers to act as mosquito net knee walls as I camp in a swamp.

Silnylon knee walls that attach via zipper are in the works as I too prefer to rig the tarp so I can stand underneath but then I lose the wind break for the bottom of the hammock.
    These are great ideas.
    IMO, We have been needing attachable knee wall for our larger winter hammock tarps.

I also use shockcord to keep my doors closed. Reducing the need for 4 additional stakes.
    It's much easier to enter exit.

For winter I still prefer internal poles vs external.
    Here's what I did to eliminate all snow load issues.
    Marty, if you are reading feel free to copy my design and put the WL
    magic in as well. IMO the evolution of the winter hammock tarp is better wind and snow coverage.
    12' x 14' with doors and internal wall support poles.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    These are great ideas.
    IMO, We have been needing attachable knee wall for our larger winter hammock tarps.

I also use shockcord to keep my doors closed. Reducing the need for 4 additional stakes.
    It's much easier to enter exit.

For winter I still prefer internal poles vs external.
    Here's what I did to eliminate all snow load issues.
    Marty, if you are reading feel free to copy my design and put the WL
    magic in as well. IMO the evolution of the winter hammock tarp is better wind and snow coverage.
    12' x 14' with doors and internal wall support poles.
    How much does your 12' x 14' weigh...I really like this. I have been thinking about adding cuben material to my cuben tarp to extend the sides to the ground to get the same coverage.

Images
    Acer this is Ratdogs thread on his OMW tarp in the Wilderness Logic folder.

PM might be better.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Acer this is Ratdogs thread on his OMW tarp in the Wilderness Logic folder.

PM might be better.
    No,,,I didn't intend to highjack this thread,,especially after you posted pics of your tarp setup and I was just curious as to what your silnylon tarp weighed. I had a OMW tarp with doors quite a while ago..when they first came out,,awesome tarp by Marty and the gang at WL and still have a Tadpole..besides my 2 HG cubens. Sorry for any concern on your part and I really don't need to know your tarp weights. Its a nice setup tho. Merry Christmas.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    OutandBack, I remember reading your thread about best pitch for handling snow.
    Really liked what you did with the inside pole mod to keep a steep pitch.

I will be going with an inside pole mod, hopefully that Christmas gift was ordered by someone or I will contacting Marty after the holidays. Already have the pockets, just need the pole.

My winter camping has been limited to the Mid Atlantic states, any further north and I for sure want a setup that can handle accumulation.

Tough to make the call on all the extra fabric for a more tent like winter structure. Tarp buyers tend to be weight conscious backpackers I would think. Sure CF offers the weight savings needed to go with the longer side walls but the cost is still a major factor in me not going that route.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast