Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Anyplace to hang near Rochester, NY?

In January I'll be traveling to NY to spend some time with family. I was thinking of taking the gear and doing an over-nighter if I can find a place to hang that's within a few hours drive of Rochester, NY. Don't need a long hike, just a nice spot to get into the woods and hang for an evening. I was born and raised in Hilton, New York but I haven't lived up there in almost 40 years!

Anyone know of a place? If so, please let me know.
    Thanks
    Gideon

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You can go west to Alleghany State Park (3-4 hours), east to the Adirondacks (3-4 hours), or southish on the Finger Lakes Trail (1-2 hours). I know right off of the NYS Thruway is the Darien Lakes State Park (actually on the Conservation Trail) - that's really easy to get to.

http://www.cnyhiking.com/ shows some good hikes. At this site, this is the best starting point: http://www.cnyhiking.com/FingerLakesTrail.htm

I *may* have hung in Powdermill Park, in Pittsford, NY (right in Rochester), but it's a county park so it *may* have been stealth camping. http://www2.monroecounty.gov/parks-powdermill.php

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer with pad pockets
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly Rain T
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Interactive Mapper for New York

Get one of your relatives who still lives in NY to go with you. If you are a NYS resident you can camp on any state land as long as you stay 500 feet from any water source. This map is a good place to start it has existing trails and campsites on it.
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45415.html
    I use it all the time when I am trying to see how to gain access to State land without crossing private property. Hope this helpshttp://http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45415.html
    "I'm tired of runnin' 'round lookin' for answers to questions that I already know." Blaze Foley

Free GPX Files NPT Southern Adirondacks

YouTube Videos

Hammock
    Henn Exp lite or WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopy on Kevlar
    It is close to Niagra Falls.

You could go over the boarder into Canada where you can buy and smoke a nice Cuban cigar while you hang.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Well thanks for the input; so far the fingerlakes trail looks promising. It can't be two hours away and there seems to be a section that runs through letchworth State Park. I've been to that park as a kid and it's spectacular. This time of year there shouldn't be many folks on this trail.

Hard part is getting any sense of the regulations. Haven't been able to find anything so far.

In NY state forests they ban tying any kind of line, string or rope to a tree but they didnt' say anything about straps

I could "steath" camp in Hamilin beach state park but a car left overnight is an issue.

So if any of you have any details on the fingerlakes trails, please let me know and thank you for the suggestions, event he one about Canada!
    Gideon

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    thank you for the suggestions, event he one about Canada!
    Gideon
    There's a group hang near Hamilton, Ontario January 17th-19th if you're interested. We'd love to have you.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83432

I have a cousin that lives in Hilton, NY

Cheers!
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Well thanks for the input; so far the fingerlakes trail looks promising. It can't be two hours away and there seems to be a section that runs through letchworth State Park. I've been to that park as a kid and it's spectacular. This time of year there shouldn't be many folks on this trail.

Hard part is getting any sense of the regulations. Haven't been able to find anything so far.

In NY state forests they ban tying any kind of line, string or rope to a tree but they didnt' say anything about straps

I could "steath" camp in Hamilin beach state park but a car left overnight is an issue.

So if any of you have any details on the fingerlakes trails, please let me know and thank you for the suggestions, event he one about Canada!
    Gideon
    Wow this is interesting about the line or rope from trees restriction.
    I'm in the Adirondacks and am thinking about getting a hammock.
    I wonder if it will be a problem down the line inside the park.
    Sure are plenty of great trees to hang from around here though.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Been in NY my whole life. Been hanging for years. Before that, we have hung tarps from trees using rope for decades. Never heard that restriction, nor can find it in the regs. Possible it is a State Campground regulation and not a general forest reg.

BTW, I am in Hilton as well. If you'd like to know a secret spot to hang nearby (completely legal), send me a PM.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    As for lines on trees, etc.; I found what I'd seen and I believe it applies to state parks. Here's the link:
    http://nysparks.com/camping/things-to-know.aspx

Take a look for yourself; about midsway down the page it says "Please do not injure the trees. No nails, screws, ropes or lines are permitted to be tied or inserted into trees, shrubs or other structures"

I think tree straps are fine but I use 1.75mm lash it for my tarp; that could be a problem.

Also, I don't think I'll be able to make the hang in Ontario; it's too close to the end of my trip and I'll have to be driving home then.

Thanks again for all of the input!!

Gideon

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Gideon,

That restriction : "Please do not injure the trees. No nails, screws, ropes or lines are permitted to be tied or inserted into trees, shrubs or other structures."...............

reads similar to Florida's restriction which does allow for tree straps. With regard to your tarp ridgeline, you could consider affixing it to your suspension system or, play the ol' Denny the Dunce routine if the Ranger shows up.

"What?" "I didn't know that. I'm so sorry. Here, let me fix that by removing the line from the tree and putting on my suspension strap."

Anyway, good find and good to know. I hike the Adirondacks at least once a year. I'll keep that in mind.

All the best !
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast