Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images

the HammockTent idea

I'm wanting to build a hammock / tent combo that will work where ever I happen to be. It isn't going to be a super light long distance backpacker item, but more geared towards motorcycle camping where weight isn't that bad of an issue. I can be in someone's backyard, a cornfield, etc if I find I'm not in a suitable place to hang, but if I do have a good place to hang I'd still be all set up. One system could take me anywhere!

I already have an eno double hammock and eno bugnet combined with a speer winter tarp (swt). I figured that if the bug net had a bit of a bathtub waterproof floor and the whole thing could be mated up to a swt or similar then I'd have some real versatility!

Originally I was thinking about using a hoop or tunnel tent but more recently it's more of an A frame approach. I saw that BlackDiamond had an interesting idea going, but still isn't exactly what I needed. It's a bit too short I think? the bug net needs to span the hammock (whatever which one) so that's 9 feet-ish so I got to sew one up myself (or find someone willing to help me out).

I'm still trying to decide on the width, one person or two person. Then there's the tarp attachment to the bugnet tent while in tent mode.

I'm also considering getting a hammock with the integrated bugnet and trying out the same approach/idea.

I'd really like to have the whole thing freestanding in tent mode if possible, but for the first one I'd settle with some guy lines and such .....

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    If you use a bugnet that hangs from a ridgeline and either drapes over the hammock w/weights in the edges (see Risk's site) or secures to the hammock with velcro (like a Speer), you can use the same setup on the ground with a groundcloth. Just don't deploy the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    If weight isn't an issue, take along a nice comfy inflatable mattress and ground cloth, and pitch the tarp over 'em. If there's bugs the hammock (or just the bugnet if it's separate) on top of the ground sheet/mattress can be a bug bivy.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    It looks like you're trying to re-invent the wheel, or did I miss the point of all this?? you could just buy a jungle hammock and set it up on the ground with your treking poles to hold up the tarp/bugnet and a space blanket on the ground under it. Pack a pad to sleep on while on the ground. Otherwise, just hang it between the trees.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Hammock Hut currntly on sale...http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hammock%20Hut.htm

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    imagine it pissin' down really hard, streams and rivers are forming around you , under you, ....... the wind is howlin' like mad, the bugs are also out in force. It's just flat out nasty out. has anyone comfortably survived this on a space blanket?

I got my speer's winter tent for every time I setup camp with my hammock. Last summer it rained almost everyday in upstate NY where I was. I camped out for 2 months. flys, black flys, mosquitoes, no seeums and who knows what else was there. Granted there were plenty of trees for me to hang from, but I'm planning on the worst for when I'm not around some nice trees. ever been to west texas? they got whole different brands of creepy crawlers out there!

when I got to hunker down, where ever, and there's no where to run to and escape ......

and I've experimented in the backyard with what I got and don't think I'd much enjoy getting pounded in this setup. I have gone and setup my hammock in the backyard right before huge storms to prepare for what I'd encounter later and I'm glad I fine tuned everything before hand! but I can see that what I have pictured below can be improved.

anyone got pics of there "ground" setups or got horror stories that they learned from the hard way?

you can see the eno bug net just isn't good enough for this setup

One end goes to my bike, and the other? in this case it was my too huge tripod.

I am open to all kinds of ideas, as you can see I came up with the one above,
    so don't be shy and tell me or better yet, show me what you're using!
    .... cause I know I'm not the only one that's been stuck between a rock and a ........
    Last edited by spidennis; 05-06-2009 at 09:22.

Images
    Your ground set up looks as good as set ups I used to do pre-hammock days, and I always stayed dry. Though I always worried about ground water, but I guess I always had good drainage. In my own back yard, I would never get away with any ground set up other than a bath tub style tent, and that only as long as seam sealing and wp coating is perfect with no pin holes from use/wear. During deluge, hanging is the only dry option for my back yard.

But, if you must go to ground, it seems one possibility is simply using a previously heavily DWR treated hammock such as a WBBB, or Speer or Claytor JH or any hammock with a good net system. With a ground cloth, then a (hopefully thick) pad, then hammock on top of pad, it ought to be pretty good protection against the bugs and ground water, if you have at least reasonable drainage.

The only other thing I can think of is to add some sort of WP bottom bivy, to be used either by itself or inside the netted hammock. Or possibly actually water proofing the bottom layer of the hammock itself and letting it serve as an actual bivy. Or adding a WP layer under the hammock that is held- in "bathtub" style- with shock cord over the ridge line around the full perimeter of the hammock. It becomes an entire new challenge to stay dry if not suspended above the ground, at least if drainage is questionable.

In all of these cases condensation would have to be dealt with, but I don't see why that would be any worse than in an actual one man tent.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-06-2009 at 10:35.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    after looking at this pic a bit more, the eno isn't too far off the mark here! I could modify it a bit? add a bit more bug material on the ends, slit the bottom and sew in a waterproof floor, hummm.........

and in hammock mode on cold days, the waterproof floor can be snugged up to the hammock bottom to add an extra layer or act as a insulation sleeve of sorts?

Last edited by spidennis; 05-06-2009 at 09:49.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Your ground set up looks as good as set ups I used to do pre-hammock days, and I always stayed dry. Though I always worried about ground water, but I guess I always had good drainage. In my own back yard, I would never get away with any ground set up other than a bath tub style tent, and that only as long as seam sealing and wp coating is perfect with no pin holes from use/wear. During deluge, hanging is the only dry option for my back yard.

But, if you must go to ground, it seems one possibility is simply using a previously heavily DWR treated hammock such as a WBBB, or Speer or Claytor JH or any hammock with a good net system. With a ground cloth, then a (hopefully thick) pad, then hammock on top of pad, it ought to be pretty good protection against the bugs and ground water, if you have at least reasonable drainage.

The only other thing I can think of is to add some sort of WP bottom bivy, to be used either by itself or inside the netted hammock. Or possibly actually water proofing the bottom layer of the hammock itself and letting it serve as an actual bivy. Or adding a WP layer under the hammock that is held- in "bathtub" style- with shock cord over the ridge line around the full perimeter of the hammock. It becomes an entire new challenge to stay dry if not suspended above the ground, at least if drainage is questionable.

In all of these cases condensation would have to be dealy with, but I don't see why that would be any worse than in an actual one man tent.
    billybob, you got me thinking ....... good points you got there ....
    I am thinking about getting an "all in one" hammock as well, and in this case everything you're saying comes into play. Presently I'm leaning towards a blackbird but I've got more lookin' around to do and seeing just how my present "going to ground" problems will fit in with this all .....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    billybob, you got me thinking ....... good points you got there ....
    I am thinking about getting an "all in one" hammock as well, and in this case everything you're saying comes into play. Presently I'm leaning towards a blackbird but I've got more lookin' around to do and seeing just how my present "going to ground" problems will fit in with this all .....
    A BB will work great I think, though really I don't see why any hammock with an easy to use built in net wouldn't do pretty good double duty as a bivy. At least a bug bivy, though some sort od heavy duty DWR or WPing would have to be added for true bivy duty.

Though I have never set any hammock up on the ground, so I'm only guessing. The one and only time so far I have had to go to ground, I just went back to pre-hammock days tarp mode, much like you show in your above pictures. I didn't really need the hammock body or net for any thing, at least on that night.

I meant to ask: do you have your thick pad inside your hammock in the above pics? If so, have you tried that set up with the pad outside of the hammock but still on top of the ground cloth? Just wondering how that would work? It looks like a tight fit inside.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast