I'm wanting to build a hammock / tent combo that will work where ever I happen to be. It isn't going to be a super light long distance backpacker item, but more geared towards motorcycle camping where weight isn't that bad of an issue. I can be in someone's backyard, a cornfield, etc if I find I'm not in a suitable place to hang, but if I do have a good place to hang I'd still be all set up. One system could take me anywhere!

I already have an eno double hammock and eno bugnet combined with a speer winter tarp (swt). I figured that if the bug net had a bit of a bathtub waterproof floor and the whole thing could be mated up to a swt or similar then I'd have some real versatility!

Originally I was thinking about using a hoop or tunnel tent but more recently it's more of an A frame approach. I saw that BlackDiamond had an interesting idea going, but still isn't exactly what I needed. It's a bit too short I think? the bug net needs to span the hammock (whatever which one) so that's 9 feet-ish so I got to sew one up myself (or find someone willing to help me out).

I'm still trying to decide on the width, one person or two person. Then there's the tarp attachment to the bugnet tent while in tent mode.

I'm also considering getting a hammock with the integrated bugnet and trying out the same approach/idea.

I'd really like to have the whole thing freestanding in tent mode if possible, but for the first one I'd settle with some guy lines and such .....