DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    here is my eno as it sits in my living room today ......
    and ready to be modified!
    now I got to find some material, bugnet and waterproof flooring (4'x7' sound right?),
    and someone to do the actual sewing (of course) .....
    the flooring will wrap around the pad and go up on the sides 6 inches.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    A BB will work great I think, though really I don't see why any hammock with an easy to use built in net wouldn't do pretty good double duty as a bivy. At least a bug bivy, though some sort od heavy duty DWR or WPing would have to be added for true bivy duty.

I meant to ask: do you have your thick pad inside your hammock in the above pics? If so, have you tried that set up with the pad outside of the hammock but still on top of the ground cloth? Just wondering how that would work? It looks like a tight fit inside.
    I need to have two hammock setups, a spare "buddy" system ready to go for when my niece wants to go along, etc. a built in net type will be my next hammock, soon! (within 2 months for sure)

as for the pad, I could put it on the outside but the present eno bug net is still too tight, even for me at 5'3". Once I slit the bottom of the bug net though and add the flooring it should prove to be perfect! Now I'm thinking I might not even need any more bug netting, just the flooring, maybe a bit extra will do the trick? for taller people it might have to be expanded a bit more though.

any suggestions on what type of flooring material to use? and who would have it?

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    my tarp/tent floor is made from the same material as the top and sides, just a different color. It's the 1.1oz coated waterproof silnylon. I do have to be very careful of what the ground is like before I can actually put it on the ground. I've got a piece of tyvek cut to a size that's just a bit smaller than the footprint of the tarp/tent that goes under the silnylon. You can find silnylon at www.owfinc.com You will need to seam seal every needle hole you put into it when you sew it. I found it very slippery too when I had to sleep on any kind of uneven ground.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    thanks tinalouise .....
    but oh boy did I get lost there !
    was that all in english?
    I had no idea ......
    so many different this and that of whatever ......

so a yard of something is what kind of unit of measure?
    it's like whatever width right? example 60"
    then it's sold by the yard? (3' right? not some kind of weird length)

so if I wanted a piece of fabric that's 5' x 8' I'd need 3 yards?
    and if I got that right
    now I got to figure out what all that various materials are,
    or at least what I'm needing ....... that might be easier ...
    time to call and ask huh?

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If sleeping on the ground with a tarp tent I wouldn't want it to not have an attached floor. Imagine how many ticks you'd be picking off yourself in the morning!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    thanks tinalouise .....
    but oh boy did I get lost there !
    was that all in english?
    I had no idea ......
    so many different this and that of whatever ......

so a yard of something is what kind of unit of measure?
    it's like whatever width right? example 60"
    then it's sold by the yard? (3' right? not some kind of weird length)

so if I wanted a piece of fabric that's 5' x 8' I'd need 3 yards?
    and if I got that right
    now I got to figure out what all that various materials are,
    or at least what I'm needing ....... that might be easier ...
    time to call and ask huh?
    YES, it sounds like you figured it out. width say it's 60", then you just buy the number of yards you need (like 3 to give you 9'x60"). I actually just got off the phone with them, I'm ordering some of the silnylon in the camo print and some in the digital print. I'm using it for the bottom of my down under quilt. I wanted it to be waterproof on the outside because of those times when rain hits the ground and splash's back up onto the bottom of my hammock. I just found out that they sell gutermann thread and bought a few different colors in that to sew the silnylon. And if you're needing no-see-um mesh, their price is pretty cheap. When I was at the mesh page, I found a link there that shows a picture of their different mesh. They have a really cool looking woodland leaf print mesh. I couldn't think of a way to justify buying it so I didn't ask them about it when I was on the phone. I've bought their seconds qualitly before and the only problem I've ever had was with the black having a stripe going down it!!! All the other colors I've ever bought there, I never found anything wrong with them. Oh, and after I hung up the phone, I realized I'd made a mistake, called them back and they very nicely changed my order for me.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Pick your poison from REI.com, sew in a bottom and go!

If it were me, and it's not, it would easier to make one from scratch. This way you can build it to the exact dimensions to fit your tarp and needs. You aren't going to need a huge bug free area, just a sleeping area really. So a 48" floor will be enough, taper it to the top like the ENO Guardian, sew some storage pockets in there or whatever you like.

personally I would have a dedicated ground set up if I knew I was going to need it more than a few times. IOW, I would have my regular hammock set up, plus a bug bivy for use under the tarp. Like you have found out a hammock net is going to be too small, and a set up big enough for the ground is going to be too big for the hammock. Both will work, but not as well as a dedicated bug bivy will.

Using Sil-Nyl (Silicone Impregnated Nylon) as the bottom just makes good sense, but you will need a footprint to keep it from getting holes, Tyvek will work. You can also just use a heavy duty fabric to begin with, like 400d or even 600d then you don't need to worry about the ground sheet.

Getting water under the tarp is pretty hard. I tarped many years and never got soaked, site selection is critical tho.

Another option would be to sew bug net around the perimeter of the tarp, or make it detachable with Omni Tape or something. Then you would have ALL the interior space of the tarp. You could sew a 2 foot wide piece of no-seeum all along the tarp edges, and use a removable piece for the doors/ends, for example.

Buy a sewing machine you are going to need one.

I think the lightest weight option for you would be to use just a bug bivy big enough to fit over your sleeping bag and head with a batten to keep it off your face. Something like OR makes, Bug Bivy

I treat all my gear with Permethrine, bugs don't come near me; I don't use nets. You could also use something like the ThermaCell repeller under the tarp.

Lots of options Brutha!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hogn8r... have you used the ThermaCell? I remember it being mentioned a while back, but just wondering how effective it is.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Hogn8r... have you used the ThermaCell? I remember it being mentioned a while back, but just wondering how effective it is.
    I use one all the time during bow hunting season and when I'm out working in the garden during the summer (they have a waist belt for it). They're effective when the wind isn't blowing or you're not moving around too much.

Hammock
    my only hammock! ENO double
    Tarp
    my only tarp ENO
    Insulation
    Have no Idea
    Suspension
    Ratchet straps
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike
    I can certainly say that the Thermacell works. I have used it during Dove season with great results. I can imagine treating a hammock with permethrin along with a thermacell will work even better!! I'll try the combo this summer!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast