Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    A few weeks ago I was tenting it and it was down to -18F. Two things about your design that concern me are 1. your head and 2. compression of the sides by your hammock.

I like sleeping bags because they envelope your head leaving a breathing hole. You will get ice around where your breath is, but it brushes off easily. I had issues with my eyelids trying to freeze. I had on a balaclava and as long as I had it or or my bag covering my eyes I was ok. Nemo makes a -40 bag that I like the design of and would incorporate some of those features if I really intended on using it at that temp range. http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Canon+-40+Reg

I guess the side compression issue wouldn't be an issue if the sides of the underquilt rise high enough. I'd really have to think this out more in my bridge.

Your work looks great by the way and I love all that loft.
    Ed

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Really like those Quilts, Great work

Now just waiting for the temp to drop to get out and do a bit of final testing with mine
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Ready to Hang

It looks like the temps should be back down to single digits most of this week, and I'm ready to give the set a few days trial. Here are a couple more pics with the suspension in place. I doubled the perimeter shock cord to support the weight, and added additional end pulls to keep it spread out lengthwise.

Michael

Hammock
    DIY 9ft Custom hammock
    Tarp
    Hex
    My mind is gone, Your's probably too :P

Quote Originally Posted by vampiresmiley View Post
    Working on the under quilt to match. I've got a couple more higher FP pillows for the UQ. Hopefully a little less weight will allow the suspension to remain effective. I'm considering doubling the shock cord on the sides, and adding an optional ridge-line connection at the mid point for added support.

Michael
    Didn't read all the posts yet. Quilt is awesome. What about paracord for main suspension. it will stretch a fair bit when you lay in the hammock..

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by egrant5329 View Post
    A few weeks ago I was tenting it and it was down to -18F. Two things about your design that concern me are 1. your head and 2. compression of the sides by your hammock.

I like sleeping bags because they envelope your head leaving a breathing hole. You will get ice around where your breath is, but it brushes off easily. I had issues with my eyelids trying to freeze. I had on a balaclava and as long as I had it or or my bag covering my eyes I was ok. Nemo makes a -40 bag that I like the design of and would incorporate some of those features if I really intended on using it at that temp range. http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Canon+-40+Reg

I guess the side compression issue wouldn't be an issue if the sides of the underquilt rise high enough. I'd really have to think this out more in my bridge.

Your work looks great by the way and I love all that loft.
    You are correct that the deep underquilt should take care of the sides. For now my head gear consists of a heat exchange mask, a couple balaclavas in varying weights, and a heavy wool hat to roll down over my eyes. I have notice the freezing eyes in sub-zero temperatures before, and the need to keep them covered.

I really like some of those features of the sleeping bag. I'd like to work out a reliable head system, possibly a separate hood similar to the top end of that bag, that connected or interlocked with the top quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguy View Post
    Didn't read all the posts yet. Quilt is awesome. What about paracord for main suspension. it will stretch a fair bit when you lay in the hammock..
    I'm using a double layer of stiff 1/8 inch shock cord, along with additional end pulls for the suspension. I want the suspension to support just enough to keep the quilt firmly against the hammock, but with enough give that it is not supporting a load and potentially compressing some of the down. If the shock cord alone is not enough, I will probably change to some type of static cord combined with a shorter length of shock cord.

Michael

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If your hammock suspension breaks...
    A) You may not notice, due to soft landing.
    B) You already have a lofty mattress to lay on.

Okay, I love it. It is HUGE!!! Well done!! When the next ice age comes, I know who's quilt I'm stealing.

So I gotta ask, whatzit weigh, whatzit look like packed up (both quilts)????

Just thinking out loud here, but the uq isnt differentiall cut or darted?? I'm thinking it should be? Trying to bend a uq that is that thick around the curve of the hammock may be problematic to fitting snug. ??

As least from your pics, its hard to see if the uq is darted or differential...since it is laying so flat.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Just thinking out loud here, but the uq isnt differentiall cut or darted?? I'm thinking it should be? Trying to bend a uq that is that thick around the curve of the hammock may be problematic to fitting snug. ??

As least from your pics, its hard to see if the uq is darted or differential...since it is laying so flat.
    Once it's packed up I'll snap a couple of pics and get a final weight. The UQ is deferentially cut in both directions The outer layer is 22 inches wider and 12 inches longer than the inner layer.

Michael

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    That's a great looking UQ. Very nice job and almost made me say some not so family friendly joyful expletives.

Quote Originally Posted by vampiresmiley View Post
    ...I'm using a double layer of stiff 1/8 inch shock cord, along with additional end pulls for the suspension. I want the suspension to support just enough to keep the quilt firmly against the hammock, but with enough give that it is not supporting a load and potentially compressing some of the down...
    This should be just fine and don't worry about the compression. The differential cut in both planes will keep the compression down.

By the way, the top of the UQ is SUPPOSED to be tight against the hammock. Then the shock cord will do it's job by keeping it tight against you while the hammock shifts and moves with you in it.

Again, great job and can't wait for the sub-zero video testing.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I tried this set out a couple of nights ago, but it only got down to 12*F and I ended up having to vent both the underquilt and top quilt. Hoping to see much colder temps tonight, and have a little bit better test. Should see a significant temperature drop overnight combined with a steady wind.

Michael

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast