Tarp
    Factory
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopies

New hammocker here

Hello all,

I'm new to hammocking and bit the bullet and bought a Hennessey (Explorer Ultralite due to my weight/height at 200 lbs/5'11) after doing some research.

The deal was done when I saw they were throwing in a child's Cub Zip with any purchase. Being that it's just my son and I, it was a no-brainer.

I do have some questions though.....

1. The literature that came with the Snake Skins said you could put them over the hammock, the rain fly or both....how would you do both? Just leave the fly attached and pull the snake skins over all of it?

2. What the heck are whoopie slings and why would I want them?

3. Why in the world would they use black cord on the side attachment points? Maneuvering around the hammock during the hours of darkness is a situation ripe with opportunity to trip. I already have an order in for reflective cord from JRB to replace it....I also picked up some small 9 carabiners to assist with tying off the side cords quickly, easily and tight.

4. Is there a cheaper option for cold weather camping compared to the under quilts that are available?

5. During the summer months, how/what do you sleep in? Do you even need a sleeping bag or just a blanket? At this point in my education, I just figure you take your shoes off and lay down.

6. Being in a fairly rainy environment, I also plan on replacing the fly with their hex fly. Smart decision?

7. Is there an easier way to attach to a tree? The lashing they suggest is fine, but with so many carabiners and quick attach/detach options in the climbing world, is there a better option?

I've been reading/learning lots from this site so far, so thanks.

Ed

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esheato View Post
    Hello all,

I'm new to hammocking and bit the bullet and bought a Hennessey (Explorer Ultralite due to my weight/height at 200 lbs/5'11) after doing some research.

The deal was done when I saw they were throwing in a child's Cub Zip with any purchase. Being that it's just my son and I, it was a no-brainer.

1. The literature that came with the Snake Skins said you could put them over the hammock, the rain fly or both....how would you do both? Just leave the fly attached and pull the snake skins over all of it?

Yes just leave the fly attached. If you move up to the hex then I would get another set of skins.

They are lighter and easier to set up take down. Do a search on YouTube and you will see the advantages. I actually went to UCR's.

3. Why in the world would they use black cord on the side attachment points? Maneuvering around the hammock during the hours of darkness is a situation ripe with opportunity to trip. I already have an order in for reflective cord from JRB to replace it....I also picked up some small 9 carabiners to assist with tying off the side cords quickly, easily and tight.

Headlamp headlamp headlamp. Oh and be careful.

4. Is there a cheaper option for cold weather camping compared to the under quilts that are available?

You can convert old sleeping bags. The hss is a option but you can't get down real cold. I have been down to low 30's with it and still comfy.

5. During the summer months, how/what do you sleep in? Do you even need a sleeping bag or just a blanket? At this point in my education, I just figure you take your shoes off and lay down.

If it's real hot in the buff works.

6. Being in a fairly rainy environment, I also plan on replacing the fly with their hex fly. Smart decision?

I would recommend this or a larger tarp from one of the cottage venders.

7. Is there an easier way to attach to a tree? The lashing they suggest is fine, but with so many carabiners and quick attach/detach options in the climbing world, is there a better option?

I use the tree straps a carabiner or a soft shackle, and attach those to my UCR'S

Ed

Hope this helps. Anything I have mentioned can be looked up her on the forums or on YouTube.

Welcome to HF

HAPPY HANGIN'

Aaron
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Factory
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopies

They are lighter and easier to set up take down. Do a search on YouTube and you will see the advantages. I actually went to UCR's.
    Compared to what? Rather, what would they replace? Youtube helped me with the UCR's....do you make those or do you buy them from someone? The UCR is just a "chinese finger toy" for the main attachment line to the tree?

Headlamp headlamp headlamp. Oh and be careful.
    Already use a headlamp, but yeah...

You can convert old sleeping bags. The hss is a option but you can't get down real cold. I have been down to low 30's with it and still comfy.
    My son and I tent camped around Halloween in West Virginia and temps were in the teens...

Thanks for the response.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Whoopie slings work on the same principles. They replace the stock suspension lines. You can make them (either) or buy them.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You probably don't want to put wet tarp and hammock together in the snake skins, not unless you want a wet hammock to go with your wet tarp.

The rope suspension that comes with the Hennessy hammocks is heavy, and adjustment is a pain. If you're a hiker, every ounce and gram counts - so by replacing those ropes with much lighter, stronger Amsteel 7/64" whoopie slings, you can save several ounces, and never have to tie that Hennessy knot again.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Oops missed the last part of that one.
    The biggest difference is when hanging you don't have anything below you. You can use the silver windshield reflector. A woobie (military poncho liner) works pretty good in mild temps. The over cover from Hennessy will increase the inside temp by 10 to 15* f. You can and probably will get condensation on the inside. Nature of the beast.
    Search the forums and you should be able to find more info.
    If you like videos watch some shugemery videos on YouTube. He has some great ones on winter setups.

Hammock
    Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Factory
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopies
    The rope suspension that comes with the Hennessy hammocks is heavy, and adjustment is a pain. If you're a hiker, every ounce and gram counts - so by replacing those ropes with much lighter, stronger Amsteel 7/64" whoopie slings, you can save several ounces, and never have to tie that Hennessy knot again.
    Not a hiker...purely a car camper with my son. I purchased the hammock to save my back and try something new. The ounces don't mean a thing to me.

I think some reflective line for the rain fly and a bigger rain fly will be more than enough.

Thanks everyone.

Oh, what do you recommend for the cold weather hang? Simplicity, cost (250 buck under quilts are craziness) and packability are important to me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esheato View Post
    Hello all,

Ed
    Hey there,
    1) I'm not a Hennessy owner but I like snakeskin's on my tarp and a BlackBishop Bag for my hammock. Keeps them separate if tarp is wet and bag makes for a storage bag when hanging

2) Whoopies are just a choice. Little less bulky. I love them. Others prefer straps or UCRs or just knots. Just a choice. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=9349

3) Not sure on that one.

4) Pads and a sleeping bag. Use an Eno-Hotspot to hold a couple pads together in very cold. Also protects shoulders.

5) Reckon that depends on where you live and temps and weather on that trip….varies a lot.

6) Some would say yes to that. Tarp pitching is it's own skill…..http://youtu.be/dz4H0ewbevI

7) Using straps and cinch buckles is very easy. http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/h...uspension.html Tree huggers and Whoopie slings with a marlinspike knot and toggle is what I like. http://shop.whoopieslings.com

Carry forth,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Clarke NX-250
    Tarp
    Clarke Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Tree Strap/rings
    Welcome to the forums

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Welcome to the madness.

I think the others have given you some good advice on your questions so I am not going to duplicate it. I will however make a suggestion.

Do not change out your stock suspension to anything until you have used the system as HH sends it to you. Many folks do change it out successfully but most people who do, learn what the hammock is suppose to feel like before they make changes. If you are a heavy hiker you will want to, later, change out the suspension to reduce the weight. If you do not do a lot of hiking, you may just find the stock suspension works fine for you. Too many times I have seen cries out for help because the HH does not "lay right" only to discover the person needing the help changed out the suspension without knowing how to do it or even if they needed to do change it.

Before you do anything I would suggest you do a couple of things if you have not already done them.

Go watch every video on the HH site. There is good information there that will save you a lot of time.

Do a You Tube search for Shug Hammocks and watch all of the Shug's videos. They are not only very informative but funny. He will teach you darn near everything you need to know about suspensions, cold weather insulation, cook kits, tarps, this list goes on and on.

I would also suggest this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M It deals specifically with HH and rings. This is how I hang both of mine. Just be advised that the rings can put pressure on the ropes and cause wear so you have to keep a close eye on them. Some people like this method others do not but it is a quick way to hang an HH without changing out the suspension.

• + New Posts