Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Tree Hugger Webbing

I picked up this 1"x30' Climb-Spec webbing at REI to make tree huggers from. I think it was about $12.

Any reason this is a bad choice? Maybe could have found something cheaper, but this was convenient.

Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The only downside would be if it is nylon. The stretch factor of nylon is greater than polyester or polypro. Stretch in climbing can be your friend. Stretch in a hammock suspension is a PITA particularly if you stretch down to painful rocks below. Other than that... sounds doable.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Knotty, I bought the exact same webbing last weekend. I won't be able to test it out right away as I still have to make my hammock. I am hoping that the stretch factor isn't that bad. My thinking is that climbing stretch is for when you fall, and that would require some major forces in magnitudes greater than hanging in a hammock. I would hope that it wouldn't just stretch great distances. Of course, the good part is, the 30' webbing you just bought might soon be 40' at the same price and weight. Woohoo..

Seriously, I will let you know if I get to try it out soon. I do have a question. It looks like we are going to have to sew in our own loops. I bought the Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl, and also 30 yards of fine thread. Anyone know if that would be good for sewing up the loops on the end, or should I just use some heavy nylon thread? I am concerned about doubled up webbing fitting in my sewing machine. I could do it by hand, but if that's the case I am wondering if the awl might be a better "by hand" solution.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Good info Rev. The package doesn't say what its made of and neither does their web site. Bummer

Fig, does the little green pamphlet in the package say what it's made of? I don't want to open the package in case I need to return it.

Thanks
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Good info Rev. The package doesn't say what its made of and neither does their web site. Bummer

Fig, does the little green pamphlet in the package say what it's made of? I don't want to open the package in case I need to return it.

Thanks
    it's nylon (99.9% sure). it will be stretchier than polyester and it's a little overkill on strength so it will be heavier because of that.

i don't know if i would trust hand stitches, probably better to tie an overhand knot loop

the 1"poly camo webbing from www.owfinc.com is good stuff. the right strength, weight, fiber

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The stretch you get with nylon happens under any kind of load. But the problem is nylon has excellent "memory". In other words, it stretches and then returns to its original configuration, ready to stretch again. If you think about it, there is minimal weight on a climbing rope while it is in standby mode. You can climb and climb without putting any weight on the rope or webbing at all. In a fall the nylon fibers stretch to absorb the energy of the fall. If memory serves from my ropes course training the nylon can stretch as much as 30% or more.That's a lot of stretch under load. A hammock suspension is constantly under load as long as it is occupied. So the webbing stretches and returns to its original length when the load is removed. Only to restretch when loaded again.

Great for climbing but not great for hammocks.

Hand stitches can be just as strong and trustworthy as machine stitches _IF_ they are the same material and length and tension as machine stitches. Thats a tough order to fill. If you used a speedy sewing awl with 3 mm stitches on good tension in a consisten double box pattern you would have a wicked strong loop. The speedy awl thread is whoopbutt strong. But that's a tall order to achieve from a hand sewn seams stitch. A good know loop would do the trick.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    I have used this webbing to extend my current suspension when dealing with very large trees. Doesn't seem to stretch too much, and I'm about 260. As far as a knot for webbing, a water knot will provide a strong hold and it doesn't affect the strength of the webbing as much as other knots. We use this knot for rescue harnesses.

http://www.animatedknots.com/waterknotrescue/index.php
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    I am concerned about doubled up webbing fitting in my sewing machine. I could do it by hand, but if that's the case I am wondering if the awl might be a better "by hand" solution.
    Unless you have wicked heavy webbing or a strange thread injector doubled over webbing should be fine in you machine. I'd try that before I fixated myself about hand stitches. But what ever floats your boat. I know some folks who are so handy with a hand needle they can get the job done faster than having to rethread the injector for a small amount of stitching.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    The Speer 4 wrap knot works pretty well for straps.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'd be willing to bet a bunch of money that it's nylon if you got it from REI. Their webbing is all geared towards climbing; those folks want a little give when they are falling from the sky.
    Get some poly, it's pretty cheap and worth it. I think it's about a buck a yard at OWF. So, for $8 you've got something light that won't stretch on you. Money well spent.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast