Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

A little help needed from our Australian friends.

I'm in the planning stages of putting together a trip to Australia next spring. The only thing is I don't know anything about the area, where to go, things to watch out for, or places to see. Little details.

The working plan now is to fly into Perth and rent motorcycles and ride to Sydney. I found a few websites that are helping with the renting the bike part of the trip.

This is still pending work approval for a month off, but my partner on this trip is going to be someone that I work with that will be able to help this along.

My questions are:

What do you think is the best month to see the southern part?
    The plan is to see some cities but also camp out a lot, anything special I should watch out for?
    I always hear of bugs and snakes and things down there that don't play nice, are they really a problem?
    Any recommendations on must see places along the way?

Other than the above the plan is to have no plan other than a starting/stopping place/date and some things to see along the way. Lesson learned from the AT, don't over plan.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Coffee
    I hope your plan works out.
    Im sure Gunn could offer advice about the West.
    The Sydney area is my stomping grounds. Google the Blue Mountains Australia and you can see how beaut it is.

What do you think is the best month to see the southern part?
    Anythime

Maybe the summer (dec, jan feb) but its always great. Even a bit of snow at the moment in the highlands.

The plan is to see some cities but also camp out a lot, anything special I should watch out for?
    That sounds great the cities are beaut and the camping is great. not many trees in some of the deserts.

I always hear of bugs and snakes and things down there that don't play nice, are they really a problem?
    YES BIG PROBLEM .... nah im just kidding. They are around as your in the bush. but they are like the bears in Canada where im from. you know they are there and you take the necessary precautions (bear spray) , down hear I have my snake bandages in my pocket when Im out. but dont let it affect your decisions of a area.
    The saltwater Crocs up north are something to be very worried about....

Any recommendations on must see places along the way?
    Everything

Im sure Gunn will again sort you out for the West, but here on the east around Sydney the places are endless. My personal fav is the Blue Mountains, but there is also the snowy mountains, Kosciusko national park is beaut and many others that I have yet to explore, so many places so little time.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Which way will you ride from the west? There is the Nullabor to get across. (Apparently very flat- I've never been.)

Have you looked at flights yet? Which side of the USA do you hail from? Because you might find the "easiest" flight is from LAX to SYD... Gunn, what sort of flights are there to Perth?
    (I play travel agent sometimes, it's fun!)

Red Centre, Blue Mountains, White Sandy Beaches. Some wildlife. Depends on when you come, cricket, AFL or Rugby.

The top end is warm pretty much all year round, the bottom end (where I live) is getting colder and wetter at this time- June + July is our winter. (Of course, this is when lots of people like to come because it lines up with school holidays.)

Will you have enough time to ride all the way to Sydney? It's the equivalent of a coast-coaster in the USA.

mmm, fun planning stage!

titanium_hiker
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Gimme a sec and I'll have a look around and get back to you.
    But you must look us up when in Perth. Where will you be staying?
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Coffee,
    To get a perspective on the variety of things in Australia, you might want to read "In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson (he also wrote "A Walk in the Woods"). I imagine the Aussies might think it's a bit much but it does a good job of giving the feel for different areas while interjecting some humor and history. It's an easy read. PM me if you'd like to borrow my copy.

Oh, and pack me in your carry-on! I was supposed to do a trip from Sydney to Cairns with a friend years ago but it didn't work out.
    JayS

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    A xenophobe's guide to Australia is also a humorous guide.

For a more historical perspective the American Serviceman's guide to Australia (from World War 2) is also an interesting read.

TH

This way might be fun: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...550781&t=h&z=5

The great ocean road would be fun on a motor bike, maybe. Very twisty coast road.
    Last edited by titanium_hiker; 05-07-2009 at 23:32.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    Which way will you ride from the west? There is the Nullabor to get across. (Apparently very flat- I've never been.)

Have you looked at flights yet? Which side of the USA do you hail from? Because you might find the "easiest" flight is from LAX to SYD... Gunn, what sort of flights are there to Perth?
    (I play travel agent sometimes, it's fun!)

Red Centre, Blue Mountains, White Sandy Beaches. Some wildlife. Depends on when you come, cricket, AFL or Rugby.

The top end is warm pretty much all year round, the bottom end (where I live) is getting colder and wetter at this time- June + July is our winter. (Of course, this is when lots of people like to come because it lines up with school holidays.)

Will you have enough time to ride all the way to Sydney? It's the equivalent of a coast-coaster in the USA.

mmm, fun planning stage!

titanium_hiker

Not sure of all of the details on getting there yet. I can't say I enjoy multiple traveling days, but we are figuring 2 days of travel each way. I'm living in New Orleans now. Not too many direct flights to anywhere. Should make for a little more fun.

I think there will be enough time. to make it. It is wikipedia is saything east to west distance is 4100km/2550miles. Of course I say this without having done a long trip on a motorcycle. But that just adds to the trip.

And yes I love the fun planning stage!

Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Gimme a sec and I'll have a look around and get back to you.
    But you must look us up when in Perth. Where will you be staying?
    No idea on where to stay yet. Thanks for the offer, I'll have to take you up on it. Just decided to start there yesterday. We got into the idea of riding across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Coffee,
    To get a perspective on the variety of things in Australia, you might want to read "In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson (he also wrote "A Walk in the Woods"). I imagine the Aussies might think it's a bit much but it does a good job of giving the feel for different areas while interjecting some humor and history. It's an easy read. PM me if you'd like to borrow my copy.

Oh, and pack me in your carry-on! I was supposed to do a trip from Sydney to Cairns with a friend years ago but it didn't work out.
    JayS

Oh man, I been avoiding reading walk in the woods for over 3 years since deciding to hike the AT. I don't know if I can bring myself to read one of his books. I might though I have a lot of waiting and travel time with my job to read. Thanks.

Carry on? Why not ship you air frieght in a big box? More comfy.

A xenophobe's guide to Australia is also a humorous guide.

For a more historical perspective the American Serviceman's guide to Australia (from World War 2) is also an interesting read.

TH

The great ocean road would be fun on a motor bike, maybe. Very twisty coast road.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I'm sure there will be a ton more questions headed your way. I am going to read up on the area before I go. I'll have to start reading your suggestions, maybe even the Bill Byrson book. I only knew a little about the history of the places I saw along the AT. I enjoy the background information part of it.

Images

That's the route we are looking at! Maybe follow the coast some, and go inland some. I'll glad I found someone with the same idea for this. Not to plan too much and just go where we want to. I spend a good amount of time on the ocean. It will be nice to see some of that, but I also want to see something else for awhile.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    We ship stock from Sydney to Perth twice a week. It takes a truck four days to do the trip.
    You would not want to rush it if you have the time, there is a lot to see between the two cities.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    We ship stock from Sydney to Perth twice a week. It takes a truck four days to do the trip.
    You would not want to rush it if you have the time, there is a lot to see between the two cities.
    That sounds about perfect than. Was planning 3 or 4 weeks to make the same trip.

Unfortunately, I realized no matter how much I try I can never see everything. But that doesn't stop me from trying.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast