Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images

Pads vs. SS

I recently received my new Expedition but haven't had a chance to try it out yet other than set it out in the yard. No over nights yet but very soon as personal schedule allows.

But I'm gathering ideas on how best to use pads. I have a large windshild screen and a fleece bag to try inside the hammock. And I have an inflatable Big Agnus insulated mummy pad. Finally, I'm almost in the market for a new sleeping bag so I'm considering a Big Agnus bag to make use of the pad pocket. My thought is that a Big Agnus combo would work well if the HH has to be set up on the ground like a bivvy tent.

So...

I read a few comments that using a BA pad and sleeping bag inside the HH is workable but not ideal. Another thought is to purchase the SS and use the BA pad deflated in the SS, with or without the windshield pad. But the mummy style would leave the sides exposed and I wonder if it's not worth the effort. BTW, I used the BA pad on the ground for a few years and like it. I'd like to get a sleeping system I can use both ways instead of carrying extra gear.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you are going to buy the super shelter use the pads that come with it as the system. I am very impressed with the system as it exists and have had it work very well for me into the 40's and high 30's I have obtained the torso and kidney pads but have not been able to check those out yet. Hopefully that will be soon. If you order the Super Shelter ask specifically about those two additional pads. My understanding is they extend the viability of the system considerably. HH does not advertise them and I didn't know they existed until I found a reference to them on a review website.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Well, I see your conflict: you want to be equally prepared for going to ground and hanging. For that scenario, the BA bag/pad combo is probably one of your best options. The SS will be pretty useless for going to ground, pad wise. Same with any other UQ out there, only a pad system can do both jobs, and some say the BA system works pretty good in a hammock.

OTOH, you are new to hammock hanging. And welcome to HF and hanging! But if you are like most( but not all), you will do a lot to avoid going to ground once you have switched. And most folks seem to much prefer no pad in the hammock, period. But again, not all.

So it's hard to say what you should do. I don't think I would get both. When I take the SS, I just take a minimal pad to get me through the night in the unlikely event I have no trees or whatever. Or, to use in the hammock if the weather should be way colder than expected and below the range of my SS or under quilt(UQ) or if everything gets wet. IOW, pretty much for emergency or unexpected conditions, and only as long as it takes me to get off the ground again, or dry out wet gear. (In my ground days, I took a much heavier ground pad for comfort than what I take for emergency back up). So far, I have used the pad once in 3 years, and that was on my 1st and 3rd night on my 1st hanging trip. The 1st night I was forced to ground because of unfamiliarity with the SS and inability to get in my mummy bag at 22*F, and I was freezing. No more problems with any of that since then. The next night on the ground was above timberline in the Rockies, when I was too weak/sick to continue over the pass and down into the trees, about 2 or 3 more hours of hiking. That's it so far, though the CCF pad has always been there for backup, and I use it for sitting around the camp fire or lunch breaks on the trail.

I don't suppose you could borrow a BA bag/pad set up, to try in the hammock after first using the hammock without that set up? Then you would quickly know if there was going to be a comfort drop or not, compared to the HH by itself. If you use the HH with the SS or a JRB UQ, there won't be any comfort decrease.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    I think I need to hang a bit to learn more what woks best for me.

Rev, I can't find any reference on the Hennessy site regarding the torso and kidney pads. Do you have a link?

Thanks for the ideas

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billvann View Post

Rev, I can't find any reference on the Hennessy site regarding the torso and kidney pads. Do you have a link?

Thanks for the ideas
    Check out backpackgeartest.org for more info on the shelter.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Thanks for the ideas
    There is no link. You need to email them or call them to get information. Don't ask me why... The review makes the statement HH considers them important to the overall performance of the system but then doesn't mention them on site. I don't get it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    There is no link. You need to email them or call them to get information. Don't ask me why... The review makes the statement HH considers them important to the overall performance of the system but then doesn't mention them on site. I don't get it.
    Me either. I have been telling folks about these for a couple of years, but then it's like they don't exist as far as the web site is concerned. But if you are going to use the SS, I think they are a worthwhile addition.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    On thing to consider with the Big Agnes system is that its not ideal for side sleepers since you can't roll with the bag.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    I recently received my new Expedition but haven't had a chance to try it out yet other than set it out in the yard. No over nights yet but very soon as personal schedule allows.

But I'm gathering ideas on how best to use pads. I have a large windshild screen and a fleece bag to try inside the hammock. And I have an inflatable Big Agnus insulated mummy pad. Finally, I'm almost in the market for a new sleeping bag so I'm considering a Big Agnus bag to make use of the pad pocket. My thought is that a Big Agnus combo would work well if the HH has to be set up on the ground like a bivvy tent.

So...

I read a few comments that using a BA pad and sleeping bag inside the HH is workable but not ideal. Another thought is to purchase the SS and use the BA pad deflated in the SS, with or without the windshield pad. But the mummy style would leave the sides exposed and I wonder if it's not worth the effort. BTW, I used the BA pad on the ground for a few years and like it. I'd like to get a sleeping system I can use both ways instead of carrying extra gear.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Hi,

Big Agnes pad would work well in a Bridge style hammock like the Jack's BMBH.

For the HH, the SS with open cell Hennessey pad works well. Add a space/emergency blanket and you ar good to the 30's. Add a KAQ and you can go lower. Big Agnes bag would seem to work like a quilt in this system since bottom bag insulation is rendered ineffective in a hammock due to insulation compression.

So, from inside out:

BA bag
    HH
    Space/emergency blanket as vapor barrier and reflective heat insulation
    OCF HH pad
    SS
    KAQ (can also be hung inside the SS as long as the space/Emergency blanket is in place as a vapor barrier).

BTW, this is my system less the BA bag and I find it provides alot of versatility and warmth.

Good luck!

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Welcome billvann.
    Id like to "add" a few things even though our fellow hangers have advised you wisely, IMO...

I have the same model of HH you have and been using it for over a year now with a ccf pad inside the hammock in combo with a sleeping bag, the bag sometimes completely zipped up, sometime partially zipped to work as a quilt. The ccf pad (for use inside the hammock) is in the past for me now since I recently purchased the SS. I also went ahead and got an AMK heatsheet (awesome, btw) and the kidney and torso pads (might never need them, but just had to take the chance and order them just in case).

Even though I'm very happy with my supershelter in combo with the AMK heatsheat (definitely much more comfortable than the ccf pad, though not easier to setup), I would recommend you skip the whole trying out types of bottom insulation (specially if they are not breathable) and simply buy an underquilt... begin with the KAQ (DIY or buy it from Mprez if able) if you don't have the cash for a JRB Nest.

Any way you choose, IMO it never hurts to carry a ccf pad with you... many applications.
    Also, change the suspension system, i recommend the ring buckles... check it out, plus other alternatives, here.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 05-07-2009 at 23:28.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast