Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    BigAgnes Footprint
    Insulation
    Marmot 0F 850 down
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps

Winter hang, what am I missing?

First post, and thanks in advance for any input. New to hammock camping and hoping to do my first hang this week with temps dropping into the 20's. I've read through the forum pretty extensively and have picked up some great tips, I must admit though the back and forth on winter hanging needs get my mind a bit boggled. I'd love to afford an underquilt, just not in the budget, but I'm hoping what I have is pretty sufficient. Also the condensation issue seems to be a hot one, but then some people say they never have a problem.

So, with the main gear in relation I have listed below...any input, ideas, must have gear in the $50-$100 range to make this a better experience? Lightweight is important. I am thinking of picking this breathable bivvy from SOL up, anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Thermarest Z-Lite Sol short
    Marmot Lithium 0F 850 Down
    Eno Doublenest
    Big Agnes 8x10ft footprint for a tarp
    Sea to Summit silk liner

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Just my opinion:
    It would be nice as a back-up, but:
    The 36" width isn't wide enough to add much in the way of blanket/sleeping bag if you use it as a bivy or wide enough to use as a UQ.
    Maybe:
    Search this site and make your own sock (there are a couple tyvek no-sew), you seem to have a decent sleeping bag and pads (at least 24" wide).
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    Your bag is fine. Your pad might not be thick enough, nor wide enough - you'll want something around your shoulders. I'd say for now pick up a stupid cheap and light (with the tradeoff of bulky) closed-cell foam pad that's either wide enough to wrap around your shoulders or long enough that you can cut two pieces off the ends and reattach them as extenders on the side. Alternatively, you can stuff extra clothes alongside you. I have one of those Escape bivvies, and it's nice. I've actually ridden out rainstorms in it when I didn't have a tarp. I'm not sure you need it though, since your bag is sufficient and you have a tarp. Obviously you need a suspension of some kind for the hammock, which you didn't list but I'm guessing you have.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I always use a 6ft double layer of reflectix and a binder clip to hold it in place. That's all I need down to around 40 degrees F. Below that, I add an UQ.

I don't think what you have underneath is going to be quite enough around 20. I think you're going to need an air pad or an UQ.

I recommend that you try your current setup in your backyard and see what its limitations are. The last thing you want to do is get out there and spend a cold night. That can be a really buzz kill.

HTH
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You've probably already thought of it but if you have the chance, a test hang in the back yard or car camping with a bail out option is recommended to test out your rig. You mentioned light weight was important which I assume means you intend to go beyond car camping so test hangs for winter are always a good thing for seeing where you are lacking and ironing out kinks.

The tarp might be a bit small for winter weather. I've used an 8x10 tarp in the summer before and found it to be just adequate. In the winter I think it's a bit more important to have more coverage. YMMV.
    Last edited by Bubba; 12-27-2013 at 20:31.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    BigAgnes Footprint
    Insulation
    Marmot 0F 850 down
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps
    Thanks guys and good points on the bivvy, Oldpappy I'll have to look into the sock just won't have time to get to DIYing in the next week. The Reflectix is on my wish list, partially one of the things I'm most curious about in if it is a real viable option or if it falls under the sunshade myth?

So to elaborate, I do have another REI pad as well as a 35f bag. With weight, time, and budget being a concern currently, would one recommend taking an extra pad, or would possibly an extra sleeping bag be better to lay on top of? I also have a Grand Trunk single I could carry as an under hammock, I've seen this tactic mentioned some but I've honestly not had much time to look into the benefits of this.

To note, I am using the Atlas straps, and for my 'safety net' will probably carry the Eno Guardian net as well. Also have plenty of wool socks, under-layers, etc... And unfortunately I have no back yard, but will be hiking tomorrow and am going to test what I have in ~40f temps.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    The hot water bottle trick makes subfreezing temps a better experience. Do you have a good Nalgene or two? Place them loaded with hot water in a sock. You'll have warmth all night and water ready to boil in the morning. Have fun!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You should be fine with a 0º bag but maybe bring the extra pad and you can stack them if your really cold.
    You may get some condensation….some get more than others. Depends on humidity, your body etc. You'll know soon enough I reckon.
    Don't wear too clothing in the 0º bag and you will get less condensation in my experience.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    BigAgnes Footprint
    Insulation
    Marmot 0F 850 down
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps
    Bubba I believe you're correct on the tarp, I've relaxed with that setup in a summer downpour and stayed dry, but could see it not being enough to block the winter elements. 2Questions - yes, thanks! And Shug that is great, perfect! I just need to learn how to play the saw now :-) On the clothing point, was that - don't wear any clothing, or don't wear too many layers?

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I recommend taking some more under-insulation too.

Another CCF mat or pad and you should be fine with that set-up though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast