Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Guess what is in the 5lb 6oz stuff sack?

I bet you can come pretty close, so I'll just go ahead and tell you. But first consider, though this is a compression stuff sack I commonly use, it is not a good one. For one thing, I need at least one more strap around the right end, and it only compresses on the side and not end to end. Plus, it is a heavy PU coated type of bag. I think with a real cs, one I could compress from the ends, especially with some sort of purge valve or one of those Event stuff CSs, I could get this down a good bit smaller, at least another 25%. But even as it is, I think it would work good with a garbage sack or something around it for more WPing and just strapped on the outside of a pack like a pad, if needed for space.

Any way, this is a set up I have spoken of before, and it would work for any number of other set ups. Maybe even better if this was a Bishop style sack.

It contains( drum roll please )
    1: 1 HHUL EXPLORER ( larger than some hammocks) without tarp
    2: One HHSS with OCF pad ( no over cover)
    3: HH kidney and torso pads
    4: mini carabiners, one for the RL which has been cut and one on each end in place of prussick hooks so that every thing previously adjusted does not come undone when I quickly stuff it all in this sack, and Hitchcraft thingies
    5: one EMS Heat Sheet, at original full size(one person)
    6: one 20*F Golite Ultra top quilt

This is not a bad system overall, especially for temps well above the 20s, or wind blown rain or snow, IMO. When I get to camp, I hang the tarp if rainy, pull the foot end rope/huggers out, attache to one tree, walk to other tree and attache, attache side tie outs if desired, and bingo- I am ready to lay down and get in quilt if exhausted.

At break down, untie from one tree, start stuffing in large sack as walk to the other end, finally stuffing the other end in, closing end and compressing if needed. ( I still have a large pack, so I usually don't compress but just stuff down into my pack bottom.) With a reasonably large sack, this really doesn't take very much longer than to just stuff my quilt, especially if I have a top and UQ.

I think a larger sack is a lot more convenient for this type of thing. I have also used this same system with a cinch buckle/webbing set up, which just shaves off that many more seconds or minutes in set up.

I posted this just to show how it works with the SS, and because that is the system I happen to have in a large stuff sack. But no reason why it couldn't work with any hammock or quilt combo. in fact it might stuff down a good bit smaller.

In fact, I have done so with my Pea Pod and Claytor No Net on a trip last fall- all quickly into one stuff sack. I guess it is common to stuff UQ and hammock together so you won't have to re-adjust the UQ again, but I don't know how many include the TQ, or how many do this with the SS.

This is how I take my WBBB down with it's included Bishop sack, but it usually takes me longer with the BB because the sack is so much smaller ( and lighter of course), and naturally I can't include any quilts into the one BB sack, obviously.

So, I think that is not too bad of a set up: <5.5 lbs, fairly small and could be even smaller with a better CS, and including the heavy stuff sack, OCF pads, long HHExp and suspension and TQ. And good for me in some pretty cool and wet weather.

That is one approach among many ways to skin a cat!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You had me excited BillyBob! When I saw the weight and the picture, I thought for sure you had gotten yourself a Vertex. If the bag was green, I would have swore it; looks just like one.

Down to the 20s you say? Do you think the overcover would get you into the teens or single digits with that set-up? That's very close to my 6lb sub-zero set-up with quilts in lieu of pads. But your set-up is packaged much nicer.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That's very close to my 6lb sub-zero set-up with quilts in lieu of pads. But your set-up is packaged much nicer.
    You both got me...
    right at 6lb for 5-10*F set-up (I could give up some stuff and take a simple, HAAB hammock instead of my BB)...but I'm happy with it!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    You both got me...
    right at 6lb for 5-10*F set-up (I could give up some stuff and take a simple, HAAB hammock instead of my BB)...but I'm happy with it!
    Well not really, because mine is no 5-10*F set up- I would be cold. But OK in the 20s-30s.

Images
    You had me excited BillyBob! When I saw the weight and the picture, I thought for sure you had gotten yourself a Vertex. If the bag was green, I would have swore it; looks just like one.

Down to the 20s you say? Do you think the overcover would get you into the teens or single digits with that set-up? That's very close to my 6lb sub-zero set-up with quilts in lieu of pads. But your set-up is packaged much nicer.
    Is the Vertex a pack? I am looking out for a light pack. I got so mad at mt self missing, by seconds, a GG Latitude for over 50% off this AM on SAC!

I don't know, I have no experience with the SS OC. But those who do seem to think it adds well over 10*F on top, plus a bunch of wind protection plus some fog/precip protection, if memory serves. Hmmmmm, but going by that, I don't see any reason why I couldn't get into the teens ( On Top ) anyway with the OC added. But I would have to do some thing more on the bottom, like using my back up pad, or adding a spare vest or other clothing, if I had any. OTOH, I don't know that YOU couldn't go below zero, considering some of those pics of you testing the CS WBUQ in your Dad's back yard, i the snow with no tarp and a not very warm bag on top!

But seriously, obviously you can get warmer for less weight with down UQ's, especially a torso quilt and pad, unless you are going to try and supplement the SS in some way, like with down clothing. And even then, it is more efficient weight wise to go with all down. I'm not trying to make an argument for a synthetic SS set up vs down in super cold temps, I'm just trying to show how I sometimes pack this thing for a really quick set up, and how I some times pack my down systems. Just happened to be a HH Exp SS system I had set up this way. And also, if I was doing a winter set up, I would use a lighter net free hammock, dropping a few oz or more. Plus I would find a way lighter Sil-nyl stuff sack, and other things.

And my last set up for the 20s, my Pea Pod and Claytor NN- used in this same fashion, was 4 lbs. I got by on top by just using the clothes I had with me any way, no top quilt. And if I had used a single layer hammock, I could have made that maybe 3.5 lbs? But, I agree, that SS is not the most weight efficient set up on the market. Replacing those OCF pads with down will save some significant weight for any given temp. It's that old synthetic vs down argument.

But in it's defense, I still think it is OVERALL a pretty good system for it's weight and volume and especially cost. Why, you might ask? I think that, even using the tiny stock tarp, it is one of the best systems out there for wind and side ways rain/snow and especially soaking fog-- and with a big tarp just plain bombproof. And especially so by adding a few oz for that OC. I have to be way more careful even with a large tarp to make sure I have it set up right to block the wind, and then I have to pray the wind direction does not change. ( of course, large tarps have their other selling points!) In addition, if things do get wet, it is not going to be as much of a problem, I have found that OCF to squeeze out good and dry real fast. Also, it(SS) is 100% Mossy bomb proof without permethrine. (That is on my mind as I just got done spraying my BMBH- especially the end caps- and my BB getting ready for this weekends camp out in MS, but no worries with that SS)

But the main thing is, down or SS, sometimes I like to stuff hammock and TQ and under whatever into one big stuff sack, which ( with a little practice) makes for a really fast set up/break down. And I suspect it works extra good with this SS, since the sil-nyl UC is slippery and stuffs pretty easy.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Is the Vertex a pack? I am looking out for a light pack. I got so mad at mt self missing, by seconds, a GG Latitude for over 50% off this AM on SAC!
    Vertex is Clark Hammocks new double person set-up
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Is the Vertex a pack?
    No, the new two-person hammock set-up from the Clarks.

But in it's defense, I still think it is OVERALL a pretty good system for it's weight and volume and especially cost. Why, you might ask?
    Mostly for the reasons you just mentioned. The meetup group I started has many, many questions about cost for getting into the hammock community. Out here, cool weather is always an issue so insulation is a must. The HH SS seems to be a fairly solid system for not much money. I've been testing mine out a little, but got started a little to late in the season to make any real judgments.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    No, the new two-person hammock set-up from the Clarks.

The meetup group I started has many, many questions about cost for getting into the hammock community. Out here, cool weather is always an issue so insulation is a must. The HH SS seems to be a fairly solid system for not much money. I've been testing mine out a little, but got started a little to late in the season to make any real judgments.
    What is that- meetup group? Folks meeting up with you to learn about hammocks?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What is that- meetup group? Folks meeting up with you to learn about hammocks?
    Yep! I'm going to start a new thread in a little bit to share an amusing story about my meetup.com group and the local governments. It's a mostly happy ending, but dang!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    That is one approach among many ways to skin a cat!
    or let the cat out of the bag!
    looks like a great set-up!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast