Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rain tarp or no rain tarp - South-East Asia

Hi everyone!

I will be backpacking around South-East Asia between January and May/June. I'm going to start out in Thailand and probably check out Cambodia and Laos too.

I don't know how much camping I will be doing but I want the freedom of being able to quickly set up camp on the beach and not having to always find accommodation.

So I am just about to buy my first camping hammock and I have pretty much decided on a Hennessy Hyperlite Zip and it occurred that maybe I don't even need to get the rain tarp. Or is that just silly? I wasn't planning on geting any insulation or sleeping bag either. Just a blanket or something. Maybe I need the tarp to protect me from the wind even if there is minimal chance of rain?

What do you guys think? Any info or input appreciated!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I would get the Hex tarp as it gives more room to work under during rain storms or to much sun. Also, if the rain does occur during large winds you can drop the sides more and sleep through it. Also, HH will up grade for free.

I use the HH Explorer Delux and Hex tarp.

The Hex tarp is out of the question at 530g weight. It's the hyperlite rainfly if any at 211g. I definitely don't expect to be camping during any rain storms

But thanks for mentioning protection against the sun. It's obvious but actually hadn't occurred to me previously. I'm new to camping in general not just hammocking.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Take a tarp.
    If you go into the mnts it can get cold at night. If it drops below +20c at any time you'll get cold so a pad is probably a good idea altho if you have the $$ i'd go with an under quilt because its more compact.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    sld treerunner dl
    Tarp
    toxaway
    Insulation
    hg incubator uq
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by someone_great View Post
    So I am just about to buy my first camping hammock and I have pretty much decided on a Hennessy Hyperlite Zip and it occurred that maybe I don't even need to get the rain tarp. Or is that just silly? I wasn't planning on geting any insulation or sleeping bag either. Just a blanket or something. Maybe I need the tarp to protect me from the wind even if there is minimal chance of rain?

What do you guys think? Any info or input appreciated!
    I have never backpacked in SE Asia. All my backpacking has been eastern US. I cannot fathom the idea of being in the woods without a shelter. For a hammocker, this means a tarp. The risk/reward of not having a shelter to avoid packing just a few ounces is just too great. Hypothermia is one of the biggest risks of backpacking. When you are wet, it really doesn't have to be terribly cold for it to become an issue.
    Last year I was doing a section hike on the AT. It was a gray, chilly drizzly day. My wife and I took the last 2 spots in the shelter on Trey Mountain. At dark, some moron gets there without a tent/tarp/shelter. He was planning to hike from shelter to shelter. I loaned the guy my tent (I don't like setting it up in the rain). If I had not have done that, this guy, who didn't appear to be in the best shape, would have been forced to night hike another 7-8 miles (?) in hopes of finding a spot in that shelter. Don't be that guy.

One of the reasons that I got interested in hammocking was having the tarp. In the event of a passing shower, I like having just a tarp to set up and wait out the storm. Usuually, if I get the tent set up I am done hiking for the day.

Bottom line, please take a tarp. It's not much weight and we will both have a greater peace of mind about your upcoming adventure. good luck.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Get a tarp, better to have it and not need that the other way. Also. if you encounter a rain storm while hiking you can set the tarp for shelter until the rain stops
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by someone_great View Post
    ...I'm new to camping in general not just hammocking.
    I strongly recommend you practice camping/hanging with no insulation or shelter in the worst conditions that could pop up on your trip before you go. I don't think you understand what you're headed for. Better to have a miserable night at home where you can bail out then far from home where you're stuck.

Hammock
    DIY, BIAS
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    IX DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Your schedule will place you in Thailand during the hot season. If you aren't accustomed to tropical climates it can be quite brutal. The sun is relentless and a tarp would provide a quick solution for shade, not to mention the occasional afternoon downpour.
    Take the tarp, you won't regret it.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    As others have said....take the tarp.
    As most of SE Asia is in the tropics, the sun is harsh & during the monsoon,
    rain falls like a waterfall. You'll need protection from both.
    Keep an eye on Dehydration & Heat stress.
    Apart from that have a great time....I spent a year there I didn't want to come home !
    Last edited by ofuros; 12-29-2013 at 14:49.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Definitely take a tarp with you. I spent a couple of years in nearby Okinowa and the Phillipines. It gets hot and it can rain much more than you may be used to in Stockholm. Even if it does not rain the sun can be brutal and the tarp will help you stay cooler.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast