Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

NJ>Mullica River Camp>12/28-29 Slackpacking Feast

Man, what a hang! Though we didn't plan all that much, everybody came through on a great event. Slackpacking could definitely grow on me.

We (Silent Orpheus, njredneck, brooklynkayak and his buddy Minh) met Ratdog at Batsto Village. We put our packs, cookware, and comestibles in Ratdog's pickup truck and he schlepped them to a mile north of Mullica.

Brooklynkayak and Minh took the 4-mile Mullica River trail, while SilentOrpheus, njredneck and I headed up the Batsto Lake trail, then up the Batona Trail to Quaker Bridge before crossing over to the Mullica River trail. We ended up doing about 8 miles. Njredneck blew out his foot 'cause he's just not used to hiking at the pace of the speedy SilvrSurfr and SilentOrpheus.

We got to the gear drop-off point around 3:30, but Ratdog didn't anticipate us doing 8 miles in 2.5 hours, so we waited for him to show up with his two nephews. Brooklynkayak and Minh hiked to the drop-off point and we began to sherpa the gear the mile to Mullica. Minh was a workhorse, carrying a cast iron Dutch oven and frypan on his back, while pulling a wagon load of wood. Ratdog's nephews pulled two other wagons to Mullica.

While we hung our hammocks, Minh and brooklynkayak got the fire started. Then the festivities began. Silent Orpheus and brooklynkayak chopped up about two cups of garlic, while I got to work on slicing up yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, onions and garlic for the jambot.

First course was 2 lbs. of gambas al ajillo (shrimp with garlic cooked in olive oil) with Italian bread. For the second course, njredneck brought beef filets wrapped in bacon, and we ate the jambot with that. I always bring a veggie dish to group hangs and nobody eats it, but there were some serious veggie eaters in the crew and there was no jambot left. By the time we got to the third course, Ratdog's sausage and peppers, I was in a food coma. I thoroughly believe that, had we started eating earlier, this band of ravenous eaters would have finished off everything with no leftovers. SilentOrpheus brought an excellent selection of beverages to accompany each dish, and by the time everyone had eaten, we were ready to start telling stories and tall tales. As always, we had some fine conversation and chuckles.

We awoke in the morning to a light rain. Njredneck made us coffee, and cooked sausage gravy with hashbrowns - very impressive breakfast. After everyone was packed up, Ratdog, his two nephews, and njredneck schlepped the gear back to the dropoff point. Brooklynkayak and Minh headed back to Batsto via the Mullica River trail, and SilentOrpheus and I followed a bit later (carrying our packs this time).

SilentOrpheus and I set a blistering pace (with one stop for SilentOrpheus to remove 47 base layers 'cause he was hot). We did the four miles in 1.5 hours, but we couldn't catch up with brooklynkayak and Minh. The last mile it started raining pretty hard. Ratdog and njredneck arrived at Batsto at the same time we did.

We picked up our gear (cast iron and such), shook hands, and promised to do it again soon. I must say it was the best eat and drink at a hang that I can remember!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The lads had a great time and learned plenty, some of it even hammocking related, the rest general life lessons.

Many thanks to Minh the Machine, that dude just don't quit.

Good to meet BrooklynKayaker and as always, the usual suspects. Great stories, the gang never disappoints. Note to self, never let NJRedneck fix you up on a date in Tijuana.

Thanks again to SilentOrpheus for the gear loan. Boys appreciated it.

Man, SilvrSurfr and SilentOrpheus hoof it like they got the JerseyDevil on their tail. Might be slackpacking but their ain't no slackin on the trail pace, boys were rolling.

The food and drink, start to finish, excellent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Former ground pounder now converted and preaching the good word.
    Already shopping for a full sized tarp when we got home.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The Old Man Winter in porch mode made for yet another dry night for yours truly. The tent footprint I loaned one nephew, not so much. But a raincoat thrown over the end of the hammock sorted it out.

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Good food and good people it don't get any better.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    This was a great way to close out the year in the pines. Great food, great company, and the weather on Saturday for the hike in couldn't be beat. Made great time in and out - 2.5 hours to do 7.5 miles slack packing in, and 1.5 hours with packs to cover the 4 miles out, in the rain. I'd make a joke about SilvrSurfr and I walking between the raindrops, but that'd be a lie ... We were soaked by the time we got to the parking lot.

Shout out to brooklynkayak and his friend Minh for making their way down to hang with us crazy Jersey folk - hopefully we showed 'em a good time. But don't be fooled, we don't always pack in 2 Dutch ovens, a cast iron skillet, a expandable chuck box, a propane stove, and beverages to match every course.

Here are a few pictures I took ... Most of them were from the second morning, in the rain.

Thanks for a great year, a great hang, and some more awesome stories to tell later.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Freakin old ENO slap straps, look at that stretch.

Told Max I was gonna take a knife to them.

He loaned that setup to his cousin for this trip, ENO DoubleNest w/ old straps while he used a diy tablecloth. Those stinkin straps left the boy inches from the ground.

I need to throw those out and hook him up with some real straps.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Freakin old ENO slap straps, look at that stretch.

Told Max I was gonna take a knife to them.

He loaned that setup to his cousin for this trip, ENO DoubleNest w/ old straps while he used a diy tablecloth. Those stinkin straps left the boy inches from the ground.

I need to throw those out and hook him up with some real straps.
    Like I said at the camp - so much for all those people that try and claim that they don't stretch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast