AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Just got my first hammock!

OK thanks for all the tips and suggestions from everybody. I went yesterday and did a bit more shopping and decided to take the plunge and got a HH UL BPA. This morning I stopped at the hardware store and bought some lag bolts w closed eyes. And right now I am hanging in my bonus room (no trees around the house.) My 2 and 5 year old boys are very excited about it and have both spent some time hanging this morning. Now I am in truble because I am going to need more hammocks. I had planned on doing the Hyperlight but REI only had the Backpacker in and I wanted to take advantage of the 20% off anniversary discount. So what's a few more OZ's. Over my BD lighthouse I am still saving over a pound. My wife thinks I am a bit off my rocker but she has felt that way for years It dose not help that in the last two months I have bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and put this thing up in her extra room. O well.... If any body is up this way (SW Idaho) give me a holler I would love to get out on the trail with others that have more experience hanging.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    just be careful what you attach those bolts to inside: a few years ago we had a guy pull a door frame down onto his head! Be careful. Structural beams only, I reckon.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Ancored off solid

No worries. I am a coustom house builder. Built mine a couple years ago. And my background is in tecnical rock climbing - caving. So I have a bit of construction/rigging knoledge. I put four 4" coarse thread lag bolts sunk to the eye into my 2x8 bonus room trusses (2 on each side of the room), then I equalised them with some 1" climb spec webbing. For a static load like a hammock they should be able to hold more than all the weight I could put on them.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the hennessy club!
    I think you'll find it awesome... that is until you need to solve the bottom insulation issue. The knot/lashing-treehugger thingy might also be a bit of a problem at first, so maybe start considering other support systems, as well a bottom insulation approaches. Don't worry, in case you haven't noticed, there's tons of info on both subject in the forums.

Anyway, sorry if being a downer, just trying to help so you don't have to learn the hard way, specially for the bottom insulation issues...

Good hanging, I hope you stick to the hennessy hammock.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Elcolombianito, thanks for the welcome. From my reading here over the last few weeks I think I have a few insulation ideas already rolling around in my head. Here in Idaho in the mountains a day that can heat up to the 80's can cool off to the 30's over night so this was a big concern for me before taking the next step. Also the tree huggers are defiantly way to short to do much on most of the trees around here. So I have already made a set of longer ones out of some climb spec webbing. The knots don't seem bad, in the past, both climbing and caving, I have had to set up rigging that is what we call "bomb proof." IE: stuff we could hand off of all day and not worry about no matter what happened - our lives depended on the rope work, knots, anchors, etc. holding no matter what. I am also playing with some other more quickly adjustable rigging systems, but that is still in the trial and error process. So far I am very happy with the hammock and with Hennesy as a company. I got a fly that has a problem with the sil on one side, it sticks to itself. I called and James at Hennesy said he would send out a new one as a replacement. He also said it would be a few days most likely, but I had the UPS tracking number in an email just a couple hours later. I am heading out to do a hike with the family today so I think I am going to try to find a spot to hang for a bit.

Paul

• + New Posts