Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

How do I hang 2 hammocks under the same tarp?

Hey guys, I want to take my son backpacking this summer, and would like to have it rigged up so we are both under the same tarp. (I have a rayway silnylon tarp, and lots of silnylon if mods are needed) Any suggestions? How many trees are needed? I am going to use 2 speer style hammocks with webbing supports , Do I need longer straps? Any advice will be much welcome!

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    My guess is that you might be able to do this if you find a configuration of three trees with two of these threes standing next to each other and hang the hammocks in a V formation..

Catch my drift?
    www.fogelberg.info

If the hammock is rocking, don't come knocking

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I've posted this before so I'll help out.

There's a few different ways you can do this. One is to hang both hammocks from one tree on one end and from two separate trees that are close together on the other.

Another way is to find two bigger trees and turn your hammock straps so that instead of coming straight out from the tree your straps are coming from one side. The other hammock would come from the other side. So if you're hanging from a tree with an eighteen inch diameter this will give you eighteen inches of separation.

This website also has information and pictures: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingSuspension.html

I should have thought of that first.
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    This pic is my son's and I's hammocks hung side by side using the same 2 trees.

This pic is harder to see, but I hung his hammock above mine, so that I was his underquilt in a sense. This setup was a little tight, but it kept us both really warm. The temp dropped down to the mid 20's that night.

I hope that this helps,
    Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thanks guys! That was very helpful!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Here's an example of three hammocks under two tarps over lapped at the top to make the ridge line.

One concern than can arise w/ that high of a tarp peak is blowing rain coming in the ends. If I think this might happen, I add extra protection at one or both ends using plastic, rain jacket, poncho, umbrella, etc.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    I've tried the 3-trees thing and you just can't count on getting that one side of the triangle to be short enough so that both hammocks have coverage. And the side-by-side is tough to get to work too. The best way I've found is to stack our hammocks, bunk-bed style. I put one really low to the ground. Great for conversation.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Hey guys, I want to take my son backpacking this summer, and would like to have it rigged up so we are both under the same tarp. (I have a rayway silnylon tarp, and lots of silnylon if mods are needed) Any suggestions? How many trees are needed? I am going to use 2 speer style hammocks with webbing supports , Do I need longer straps? Any advice will be much welcome!
    A couple of other people have mentioned the method using three trees, but I thought I would send you this link to a thread with an illustration of how one person does it. I use this method, and it works great. Good luck. FWIW, I purchased a SpinnUL 12x10 tarp from Brian at OES, and it is excellent for double-hanging. I had Brian add additional tie-outs that allow some creative adaptation at the head-end of the two hammocks. Here's the link: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6624

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Stevebo,

Welcome to HF! You're gonna love it. How old is your son? Has he slept in a hammock before?

I live in NJ now but grew up in Palmetto and Newnan. Dated a girl for a while who lived in Moreland. Did a bit of camping around various places - we used to just walk out the back door with a sleeping bag under one arm and some matches in a pocket. Sometimes we were smart enough to take an axe or saw, usually we didn't. Good times.

JayS

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    My Son is 11, and no he has never slept in a hammock before. I thought we would try it in the back yard a few nights to see how he does. I think its going to be great! (I really dont enjoy ground sleeping!) Thanks for all the great info---------love the forum! Right now I'm in the process of putting my second "speer style" hammock together. Hopefully it will be done in the next few weeks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast