DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies

Double Pole Mod for Winter Tarp

I've been dabbling with the various ways mentioned on this site to create more interior space in my DIY winter tarp regardless of the wind/weather. Compounding the issue is the extra width required by my bridge hammock. I finally found a configuration that I'm happy with.

I was looking through my old gear and found my Eureka Aspen 2 tent that, although in great shape, doesn't get used for anything (except stuffing down!). I noticed that the poles were some DAC Featherlites that appeared to be close in length to what I might need. I sewed up some reinforced pole pockets and the poles ended up being the PERFECT length for use in a crossed configuration. In fact, I can also remove two sections from each pole and have the correct length needed to span between adjacent corners (instead of crossed). I love when things work out so unexpectedly. I also sewed a grosgrain tie into the ridge line to secure the poles inside.

I've been hanging out the past few nights as the winds have really been whipping and noticed a HUGE improvement in the retention of interior space. Two poles obviously add more weight, but peace of mind is lighter than worry and my total base weight is still a good bit lower than it was when ground camping. Anyway, here's a few pictures:

Last edited by 4estTrekker; 12-30-2013 at 21:26.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks very nice. Great space in there -- should be nice this winter.

Michael

Images
    Nice job. Thanks for sharing your picts.

Hammock
    Camo WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 40*
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    What tarp is that and what's the length of the poles

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Wow...a couple of families could stay in there! . Nice work and thanks for sharing!
    Andy...

"...if Shug didn't make you do it, then it's Dutch's fault!"

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Very cool. I'm thinking of making some folded nylon webbing sleeves, sewn on two long and one short side, with some lash-it sewn into the top open end as a pole receptacle sleeve. I figure that the lash-it loop would allow larks heading onto the tarp d rings. This would allow me to add a pole mod without anything permanent. Your crossed pole mod is what I've been thinking would be ideal as my tarp has a ridge line center d ring where I could add a tie.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

That is the bomb! How hard is it to get that setup. After you hang the hammock, what's the next step?

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    11' DIY sil hex
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Really nice setup. Beside of fact that the poles were the right length are there any advantages to crossing the poles as opposed to running them parallel?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    Thanks, all. The tarp is a DIY winter model built from the pattern at diygearsupply.com. The poles are 128" long. It's really not too difficult to set up in this configuration. It's actually easier for me than the poles I had running over the ridge line and attaching to the side pull-outs. The tarp comes out of the snakeskins with the doors velcroed together. This makes it easy to stake out the four corners and then insert the poles from the inside. I've found doing it this way doesn't allow the wind to lift it like a sail. Then I hang my hammock and adjust it horizontally to fit correctly under the tarp. A little backwards from most folk's approach, but setup stays the same regardless of the weather that way and there's more than enough room on he inside to get things situated.

As far as benefits go, I can generally get a tighter pitch across the entire surface of the tarp and greater resistance to wind and snow load (although I've only had 3" of snow or less on each test). I think this has to do with the fact that the X-pattern breaks each face of the tarp into three smaller, more equal sections. This is different than the traditional double pole mod that created a much larger rectangular center panel that was a bit unruly in wind and snow.

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDmoo View Post
    Really nice setup. Beside of fact that the poles were the right length are there any advantages to crossing the poles as opposed to running them parallel?
    That's a good question. Looking at the picture it looks like its secured at the base and once uptop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast