Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Safari Deluxe Asym Classic
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

First Time Hang Trip Report (Juniper Springs Campground, Ocala National Forest, FL)

First Time Hang Trip Report (Juniper Springs Campground, Ocala National Forest, FL) 12/14/2013 – 12/15/2013

I arrived fairly late in the afternoon (around 16:30) on December 14th, 2013 with a plan on staying for a quick overnight equipment test. I chose site 77 at Juniper Springs Campground, specifically because I knew it had the perfect trees for hanging). Unfortunately, as I arrived at the campground, it began to rain.

I decided that no matter what, I was going to stick it out and hang regardless of the weather. I chose two trees with about 12’ between them (perfect for my tarp). I had previously purchased ENO Atlas tree straps and two carabiners from REI and also had a Noah’s Tarp 12 (12’ x 12’) handy.

After hanging my hammock (a Hennessy Hammock Safari Deluxe Asym Classic), I set my tarp up in a modified lean-to configuration, staking it to the ground on one side and then up and over dual ridge lines (one on each side of the trees) I made from 550. I climbed into the hammock for a quick test and was pleasantly surprised that everything seemed to be nearly perfect the first time around. I was a little worried, because I'm a big guy (300 lbs.), but everything held up very nicely.

Around 20:00, a lone raccoon wandered into camp across the firepit from me, I proceeded to clap my hands and yell until it turned around. About 30 seconds later, the ******* had flanked me and was about 2 feet from the back of my seat. I proceeded to attempt to scare the thing away again, only to have it climb a tree in the middle of the campsite and look down at me, laughing…

Around 22:00, I decided to call it a night and prepared to spend my first night in my new hammock. At 22:30, the raccoon decided it had enough and came down the tree and wandered off. At 03:40, I was awakened by heavy rain and lighting/thunder. It was then that I noticed my rear end was wet. Not having wet the bed in around 30 years, I suspected something was not quite right. I could feel the rain splashing up from the ground.

I grabbed my headlamp and turned it on to assess the situation; I then accidentally knocked my iPhone from its precarious perch in the HH gear loft and almost gained a black eye. After recovering, I looked around the campsite from inside the safety of my hammock fortress and noticed that my formally wet but walkable campsite was now a lake. I also noticed as I attempted to exit my hammock that one of my flip-flops had floated off into the abyss.

I then made the fateful decision to retreat to my truck for the remainder of the night. After waking up at 06:45 with a nice kink in my neck, I made a quick breakfast of BACON on the camp stove. After enjoying the feast, I began the joyous task of packing everything up for the trip back home and made myself a promise to return once again- next time when it's drier.

Post Trip Analysis
    • The hammock was quite comfortable; temperatures were expected to drop to the mid 60’s, so all I needed was my sleeping bag- although I did put a fleece sleeping bag liner inside the hammock in case I became chilled.
    • Secure my flip-flops to the bottom of my hammock; do not leave them on the ground.
    • The “gear loft” in the HH is too small; I will need to upgrade this to something bigger.
    • If it rains on future trips, I will not use the modified lean-to tarp configuration.
    Last edited by omniaparatus78; 12-31-2013 at 11:14.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard and a great trip report.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Welcome to HF. Sounds like all in all you had a great learning experience. Thanks for sharing the trip.

Happy Hangin'
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Welcome from Ocoee, Florida! Timberrr and I camp in ONF often.

If you haven't signed up yet to come to the Fourth Annual Florida Hammock Hang over MLK weekend, you might consider coming by. Its rare for 100+ hammockers to get together but we manage it once a year. You will meet folks with a wealth of knowledge to share and see just about every hammock rig conceivable.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Great report. If I ever need a little extra storing room in the hammock I tie my stuff sack around the ridge line.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Omni,
    Good trip report. Lessons learned are valuable. I learn at least one thing new everytime I go out.
    Regarding your ridgeline organizer, I too have a HH Safari Deluxe (zip model). A couple of months ago, I ordered a ridgeline organizer, with four pockets, from 2QZQ's site. It was very inexpensive, ($14), and provides a much better storage system for my phone, flashlight, keys, etc..... You might wanna look into that.
    Good luck with your hanging adventures. They get better each time.
    All the best and Happy New Year!
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Welcome to the forum. I hope you still enjoyed the trip after all the issues you had. That must have been some rain if your flip-flop washed away.

I usually set up an A-frame configuration for the tarp during the night. I sometimes will unstake one side and flip it over the ridge line during the day for more room.

I utilize a Jacks R' Better Gear Hammock, I don't know if it is bigger than what you have now, but maybe it is something to consider.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Wow...you managed to get wet from underneath with that much tarp? Must've been a monsoon.

Things that could help with that:

Hang the tarp lower, close to your hammock's ridgeline, and stake it out as far as possible from your hammock on the sides. With the Kelty 12x12, it can be closed off on either end with a couple of extra stakes, allowing a completely enclosed shelter. You can get the sides of the tarp almost touching the ground with that tarp and hammock; you just need to hang the hammock low enough that the ridgeline isn't in the way of hanging the tarp low enough (which seems counterintuitive at first glance, but it makes sense when you think about it).

As far as your flip flops go, yep, a decent gear hammock will help with that. I'm honestly surprised that your cell phone fell out of the stock Hennessy one, though. Did you have it in the center pocket of the organizer or one of the diagonal side pockets (or did you have other stuff in the center pocket that prevented the phone from sitting low in it)? I've never had a phone fall out of the center pocket on my Hennessy's organizer, and I've had a couple of phones larger in size than an iPhone. Either way, though, an organizer is a good first DIY project to cut your teeth on: simple, cheap, and unlikely to hurt you if you do it wrong the first time.

Also, I definitely second Gumbo's invitation to the Fourth Annual Hang. It's going to be great!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL, DIY 12'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glides
    Welcome from Jax!! I think one of the things I enjoy most is the trial and error of it all. Of course, everything works a little different for each person. You could also look into a TQ protector to keep the rain from splashing up and soaking ya.
    If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse. Proverbs 27:14

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Chuckle,chuckle.....these little 'incidents' are all part of the process,
    it's what makes our trips memorable in one way or another.
    Hammock On, omniaparatus78
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast