Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Single layer vs Double layer

I'm planning my first DIY hammock.
    I'm 200 lbs. I'm leaning towards SL of 1.1 rip stop for weight, simplicity, a little cost savings, and am planning on a TQ an UQ. What other things should I consider?

How much more durable is a DL than a SL?

Has anyone busted through a SL?

Has anyone busted through a DL?

Since I'm planning on a TQ and UQ. Does it make sense to go ahead with the second layer just in case I need some insulation in a pinch?

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Jeremy

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 321jer View Post
    I'm planning my first DIY hammock.
    I'm 200 lbs. I'm leaning towards SL of 1.1 rip stop for weight, simplicity, a little cost savings, and am planning on a TQ an UQ. What other things should I consider?
    For 200lbs I would probably go for a double layer of 1.1 or single layer of 1.7. Buy quality fabric. Do you have a sewing machine? How are your sewing skills? Buy extra fabric to practice on.

How much more durable is a DL than a SL?
    Depends on what you mean by durable. If something punctures your hammock body all bets are off.

Has anyone busted through a SL?
    I'm sure of it.

Has anyone busted through a DL?
    Probably somewhere.

Since I'm planning on a TQ and UQ. Does it make sense to go ahead with the second layer just in case I need some insulation in a pinch?
    You can use a pad with a single layer but the pad typically stays in place better in a DL. Have you used a UQ or pad in a hammock before?

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

2 cents

Papasmurf has posted a bar graph showing the general rule of what different layers, single and double will hold. You can do a search and track it down ... I will try to attach it later.

There have been a few ... more or less ... that have busted through hammocks. I believe that most of the causes have been due to holes started by items snagging the material; zippers, pointy items left in pockets, etc.

I went with a DL just in case I wanted to use a pad for insulation. While I do watch weight, the extra layer wasn't going to bust my scale.

STinGa
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by STinGa; 12-31-2013 at 17:23. Reason: added pic
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

@ Octo I do have a sewing machine though I'll probably use my mom's. The quality of mine is questionable. Skills are reasonable. I slept one night in a borrowed SL hammock with a thermarest pad. It worked pretty good but I'm a wiggly sleeper and figure the UQ would keep the insulation from moving with me, but have never used one.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    @ Octo I do have a sewing machine though I'll probably use my mom's. The quality of mine is questionable. Skills are reasonable. I slept one night in a borrowed SL hammock with a thermarest pad. It worked pretty good but I'm a wiggly sleeper and figure the UQ would keep the insulation from moving with me, but have never used one.
    Make sure you have quality thread, the right stitch density and appropriate needle. If cost is an issue for you a DL with CCF pad will still be cheaper than a UQ. How are the bugs in your area?

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Make sure you have quality thread, the right stitch density and appropriate needle. If cost is an issue for you a DL with CCF pad will still be cheaper than a UQ. How are the bugs in your area?
    Thanks for the tip on the thread quality.
    Bugs can be bad in the day and dusk but usually die down at night.

Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Papasmurf has posted a bar graph showing the general rule of what different layers, single and double will hold. You can do a search and track it down ... I will try to attach it later.

There have been a few ... more or less ... that have busted through hammocks. I believe that most of the causes have been due to holes started by items snagging the material; zippers, pointy items left in pockets, etc.

I went with a DL just in case I wanted to use a pad for insulation. While I do watch weight, the extra layer wasn't going to bust my scale.

STinGa
    So with 1.1 im right at the threshold. I'll probably do a DL for the durability and the just in case.

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    I've done 350 bouncing pounds in a tablecloth and was surprised it held cuz I was trying to break it. still havnt but am sure trying

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I went with DL for 2 reasons - one so that if I ever get a warm night that the UQ isn't needed but bug protection is, then I'm good. The other is so that if I want to use a pad instead of UQ, I can slip it between the layers and it will stay put much better than inside the hammock with me.

Extra sewing is negligible as is the weight as compared to the versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I went with DL for 2 reasons - one so that if I ever get a warm night that the UQ isn't needed but bug protection is, then I'm good. The other is so that if I want to use a pad instead of UQ, I can slip it between the layers and it will stay put much better than inside the hammock with me.

Extra sewing is negligible as is the weight as compared to the versatility.
    At what temp do you go without the UQ?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast