WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies

Exclamation Supershelter vs UQ

Im considering buying a supershelter insulation kit for my HH Expedition Asym. My main question is, will it be warm down into low temps? My sleeping bag is very lofty, and hard to stuff, so it dosent flatten much anyways. But how low of temps will i be able to get in. my bag is rated -20 degrees farenheit. will this supershelter keep me warm into the single digits?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Supershelter, MSS
    Single digit is really stretching it, I'd say no for myself. Ymmv

This is at sunrise 28deg with a SS, SB, ccf foam mat, MSS intermediate bag on top of me, spandex/fleece top and bottoms and good clean socks. I was very warm.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Boroffski; 01-01-2014 at 14:06.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I've had mine down into the mid 30's in the backyard. I was wearing a base layer and using a 0 degree top quilt. Nothing beneath me but the SS foam pad and the Hennessey under cover. I slept well.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I've had mine down to 22 degrees with added space blanket an 0 degree bag. I slept very warm. Had to ventilate the bag during the night and no cold spots.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    I dont seem to cold recently, but last year it got to -25 degrees outside, and me (being a tent camper at the time) just had a +20 degree bag. so i dont seem to get really cold that easily, so i think this should work quite well

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobertson View Post
    Im considering buying a supershelter insulation kit for my HH Expedition Asym. My main question is, will it be warm down into low temps? My sleeping bag is very lofty, and hard to stuff, so it dosent flatten much anyways. But how low of temps will i be able to get in. my bag is rated -20 degrees farenheit. will this supershelter keep me warm into the single digits?
    I dont seem to cold recently, but last year it got to -25 degrees outside, and me (being a tent camper at the time) just had a +20 degree bag. so i dont seem to get really cold that easily, so i think this should work quite well
    Is your minus 20F bag synthetic, or down, and do you sleep inside it, as opposed to quilt style?

If a poorly compressing synthetic and if you sleep inside it, then you should get significant back warmth from the bag. How much( good with bag alone to 65? 45? any idea? ) is hard to say. But however much it is will be added to by the HHSS or whatever quilt or pad you decide to use. So it is possible you could reach single digits and do OK with the base HHSS with space blanket(SB), also depending on your individual tolerance ( see Cryofthewild posts, he has done below zero with base HH).

But most folks consider it good to about 30-40F would be my guess, and that goes for me. But if you are not warm enough and have anything you are not sleeping in, like fleece jackets, pants, down/syn parkas/vests etc etc, just throw them in the UC under the HH pad(light stuff like wool socks on top of the pad) and everything under the SB. You can easily add 15-30F or more this way, to whatever it is good for by itself. It is amzing what you can do this way. One person has been warm to minus 26.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    BillyBob58 is probably the forum's greatest authority on the Super Shelter. Listen closely when he speaks on the subject.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH D-Explorer Asym, ENO D-nest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas
    I've just finished my first night in the HSS (with foam pad and SB). It was about 39F outside when I went into the woods.
    I slept nice and warm through the night using nothing but my long underwear, and an old synthetic 5kg sleeping bag as over quilt (T-Lim rated ca.5-10F).

I normally pull the tarp well down around me to limit airflow through the hammock, but not last night. I slept with it totally off as I had a wooden roof above me

One thing that made me wonder is that the inside of the under cover and the corresponding outside if the pad was moist. Anyone have a good explanation for this? No rain came to me, but the humidity was extreme - ca.90% - which could be the cause.
    I love a good nights sleep as well as anybody - I just love mine elevated...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by skilleman View Post
    I've just finished my first night in the HSS (with foam pad and SB). It was about 39F outside when I went into the woods.
    I slept nice and warm through the night using nothing but my long underwear, and an old synthetic 5kg sleeping bag as over quilt (T-Lim rated ca.5-10F).

I normally pull the tarp well down around me to limit airflow through the hammock, but not last night. I slept with it totally off as I had a wooden roof above me

One thing that made me wonder is that the inside of the under cover and the corresponding outside if the pad was moist. Anyone have a good explanation for this? No rain came to me, but the humidity was extreme - ca.90% - which could be the cause.
    I'm curious...did you have a space blanket/emergency blanket on top of the pad, under the hammock, as recommended by Hennessy?

Condensation isn't unusual, and often seems to be worse when the blanket is not used.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    You could probably get into the single digits if you add extra insulation to the HHSS on top of the UC pad, but under the space blanket. Or even potentially under the pad, but still inside the undercover.

My youngest son and I have been out as low as 18F with some pretty strong winds with the base system and sleeping bags (synthetic)...I'm trying to remember if I'd added an extra fleece blanket to the under insulation or not on that run.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast