Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Condensation Problem??

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are new to hammock camping and find it very interesting. We have made our own hammocks (plain and simple, yet comfortable and effective). They are made with ripstop nylon.

We were itching to give them a try, so we set them up in the back yard. We had our hammocks set up with a 1/2" CCF pad and then our lightweight sleeping bags. It was a beuatiful night so we decided we would sleep without tarps. By the way we live on the Coast of B.C.(Canada) so the temps. at night hover around 5-6C. We went to crawl in and they were damp(top of sleeping bag and sides of hammock). We stayed the night out anyways.

The next night it was clear again so we decided to set up with a temperary tarp, because we haven't made our lightweight ones yet. We purchased some poly tarps and set them up. We were checking on the outside of the tarps and they were dry. Thinking we were going to have a dry night we went to crawl in and low and behold they were damp again.

As I said before, we are new to this and we are not experienced when it comes to hammock camping. Is there something we are doing wrong? Does anyone have a suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Were the quilts/sleeping bags a lot warmer, maybe stord inside a warm house, before you set them up?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    B.C., so it is probably the "rolling fog" issue. So much condensation in the air, almost all the time. The only way I know to combat that is a hammock sock, and even that isn't perfect.

Hammock
    DIY dlb 1.9/1.5
    Tarp
    10x10
    Insulation
    DIY 5oz CS UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBuckles Strap
    Images
    is the material you used breathable? i just recently made a hammock from waterproof material and it condensed quite a bit.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    CCF pad do not breathe,so maybe acombination of humid air and body vapor moving upward condensing on the sleeping bag...
    just thinking aloud
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    He said it was on the top of the SB, and the outside of the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelove View Post
    We went to crawl in and they were damp(top of sleeping bag and sides of hammock). We stayed the night out anyways.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    He said it was on the top of the SB, and the outside of the hammock.
    good point..didn't notice it was before they even got in

Very humid, rolling fog (like FF suggested) seems the most likely culprit
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I deal with humidity, like 110% most of the time. Not as bad as rolling fog because I've dealt with that too, but it is consistanty wet air. Best thing I've found to keep from having all your gear wet is to keep it covered. And whatever you're using for that cover is going to be wet!!! So if you're setting up your hammock with your sleeping gear, all the outside layers will get wet. If you've got any of that ripstop that you made your hammocks out of, use a piece of it to cover the top of your hammock. Like putting a small ridge line above your hammock and laying that piece of ripstop over it to cover your hammock. The bottom of your hammock will still get wet but at least your quilts inside will be dry.

Thx everyone!

The SB were outside most of the day, and the bottom of the hammocks were not damp only the sides and the top of my SB so I was a little puzzled. I guess we are going to try to make a sock to cover the hammocks and try that. As far as I know the ripstop that we used not coated or anything, but I could be mistaken because I am not experienced with this type of fabric. We are going to try a few things out and see if we can deal with this issu, or we will not be able to use hammocks on our backpacking trip. Hopefully we'll solve this issue, because I had one of the best 'outdoor' sleeps of my life when using the hammock.

P.S. Fishinfin, I'm a woman...lol...just thought I would point that out...hehe

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelove View Post
    P.S. Fishinfin, I'm a woman...lol...just thought I would point that out...hehe
    I guess that is what happens when I make a quick post from work, where I can't see user details. Something about user details and member forums that won't let me open them while at work, and since it isn't that big of a deal usually, I have let it slide. Now I'll have to make an effort to see what is being blocked.

I should have known from the name, but...... Ya' just never know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast