Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

my machine is down, need some help.

Ok so I have a singer 476. Made in 1960. It looks great. Even after opening it the parts seemed new like maybe some did some work on it. All except the vertical gear. The other gear were white. This gear is yellow orange and snapped while I was working on the other problem. I just order the gear, but does anyone have knowledge of replacing this gear? Its in the middle of the machine. I am not sure if I can remove it in place or if I need to remove half the components.
    Second issue and the one that started this deal. I believe I am stuck in reverse. Or forward, but the reverse button is stuck in. I have opened the panels and can see where the button comes out and in contact with a bracket. I will take pictures if needed, but my questions are as follows. If the reverse button suppose to spring loaded? The metal bracket that the button pushes to is that suppose to move? I guess the ultimite question is how is the reverse engaged? How does it reverse?

I am sorry for the long story, but I finally had time to sit down and try and start some practice for making some gear, got bobbined, threaded and broken. Spent all my time trying to figure out why it wasnt working. I guess the good news is I am getting a full view ofnthe machine and how it works for future issues too.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is my understanding that this gear is the most likely to suffer a catastrophic failure. And it is a critical gear. You are in good company. Others will have a better handle on the realities, but it is my understanding from the mechanics I have talked to that the machine must essentially be disassembled in order to effect a proper replacement.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    We shall see. I ordered the part and will look into it from there. Gmcctr pointed me towards tnt repair and they have a no dissasemble fix but I would haveto pay 11 or so to download it. It also helps reset the timing. I was hoping someone had done something like this on a machine similar to this and had words of advice. My bigger issue ( in terms of not knowing) is the not reversing.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultra Light
    Tarp
    Old Tent Fly
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Hi there,

If you're even a teensy bit mechanically minded (and it sounds like you are) disassembling and reassembling the machine is a good idea. You will really get to know the machine, and this offers the perfect time to really clean it up and give everything a good oiling.

If the above is old hat to you, please disregard.

Could you post a picture of the reverse button assembly from inside the machine where the guts are located? Seeing it will help eliminate some issues, and possibly point to others.

Make sure to check for rust all around the reverse button and all along the linkages, if there is no rust, it is likely that something has broken and bound up the mechanism.

--g

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylina View Post
    Hi there,

If you're even a teensy bit mechanically minded (and it sounds like you are) disassembling and reassembling the machine is a good idea. You will really get to know the machine, and this offers the perfect time to really clean it up and give everything a good oiling.

If the above is old hat to you, please disregard.

Could you post a picture of the reverse button assembly from inside the machine where the guts are located? Seeing it will help eliminate some issues, and possibly point to others.

Make sure to check for rust all around the reverse button and all along the linkages, if there is no rust, it is likely that something has broken and bound up the mechanism.

--g
    I am already into this machine, I figured I would be at some point, but thought it was working and would be able to do some stuff. No biggy. Yes I have been taking things apart since I was 2. The biggest difference is its my stuff. I will take pics tomorrow and post them.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    I've had 'reverse stuck' problems on a couple of older machines I've bought.
    In both cases it was gummed-up 'lubricant' that was years old that was the problem.

In both cases a targeted spray of solvent, along with repeated 'working' and some time for the solvent to do its job (overnight) freed up the reverse control.
    I've found the same problem with the needle position control as well.

I wouldn't rush to assume something was broken until I'd tried the solvent technique.

re: solvent - wiser heads than mine have recommended isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. I'm a bit impatient and generally resort to something stronger (brake cleaner). Even WD40 (which IMO is solvent+a bit of oil) can work.
    Don't forget to oil the machine properly (with SEWING MACHINE oil) after you get it freed up.
    Also, remember that the stronger solvents can affect the paint. Definitely not a job to be done on the dining room table, either!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    I've had 'reverse stuck' problems on a couple of older machines I've bought.
    In both cases it was gummed-up 'lubricant' that was years old that was the problem.

In both cases a targeted spray of solvent, along with repeated 'working' and some time for the solvent to do its job (overnight) freed up the reverse control.
    I've found the same problem with the needle position control as well.

I wouldn't rush to assume something was broken until I'd tried the solvent technique.

re: solvent - wiser heads than mine have recommended isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. I'm a bit impatient and generally resort to something stronger (brake cleaner). Even WD40 (which IMO is solvent+a bit of oil) can work.
    Don't forget to oil the machine properly (with SEWING MACHINE oil) after you get it freed up.
    Also, remember that the stronger solvents can affect the paint. Definitely not a job to be done on the dining room table, either!
    Did my work today on the kitchen table, but I had 2 santa mats under it. I will resume my work tomorrow upstairs in the loft. I oiled well today, but maybe not this part or at least enough. It says only one drop... I will try to free it first then re oil.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I oiled well today, but maybe not this part or at least enough. It says only one drop... I will try to free it first then re oil.
    A word to the wise... Please do NOT over oil the machine. One drop is all that is needed. Over oiling can lead directly to the build up and hardening of lubricant suggested above. I am not a fan of WD40 (kerosene in a can) for lubricating a machine. But as a solvent to clear away the gunk it has its place. Just make sure you get it all good and clean and then oil sparingly with a high quality sewing machine oil. I am not a fan of 3-1 oil for sewing machines. I know others disagree with me and that's fine. For my $0.02 it is not the stuff to use.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    One suggestion-----take a picture of the inside of the machine before you disassemble it!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    i usually have an excellent memory with the doing and undoing, with the occasional dyslexic laps, but i photograph often just in case. it also helps when i need help to be able to send pics. i will explore later and send pics

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast