Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Solo Overnighter; Amidon Memorial Conservation Area, SE Missouri

Well, it was a great solo overnighter! I didn't think anyone would be able to join me on such short notice. As much as I enjoy the company, I also enjoy solo hikes. It's a good chance to mess with gear and relax a little. You go at your own pace.

This trip was about clearing the head and messing with some gear. First off I planned the hike so I had to cross the Castor river at the very begining of the hike. This was a test of my new shoes, Sportivia Ultra Raptors. I wanted to try hiking in shoes that aren't waterproof. So I just plowed into the river up to my knees and hiked across. It was FREEZING COLD but within 5 minutes after crossing i was warm enough. I did have to stop and tighten my laces up a bit but it wasn't uncomfortable hiking in the wet socks or shoes. By the time I made camp, my feet were only slightly damp and not uncomfortable at all. Changed into dry socks at night; by morning my other socks were almost completely dry.

This is a conservation area so there aren't really a lot of trails; going in I just hiked north along the eastern bank of the Castor river; at times it was more like climbing rocks and hills. So I didn't hike much, just wandered around and explored the river; spent a lot of time in camp reading a book, messing with equipment.

Next I changed out my tie outs on my hammock. I used a shock cord loop at each tie out to secure a tiny line lock. I ran my line up through those. There's a thread on the site that shows it and I attached a picture. I have to say, it's the best thing since sliced bread I can't believe how well it works, makes adjusting your tie outs ultra simple and it's still ultralight weight. I know some purists only want knotts but these line locks work far better than the pursac's I was using. Seriously, it's the best set up for tarp tie outs that I've ever used or seen. Even after it rained at night they held securely. I added only a few grams to my tarp weight by adding them. If you're not 100% on your setup you owe it to yourself to consider this way of doing it.

Next I tested out my new cook kit; it worked wonderfully. Also, I HIGHLY recommend Ramen Rescue from Packit Gourment. Add that to your Ramen noodles and it makes them so much better. I also add 1/2 a cup of parmesan cheese! I also enjoyed Mac and Cheese cooked in, and eaten from the pot; didn't taste like a rehydrated meal; instead it tasted just like it does off the stove top!! Used and REI camp spoon that won't melt if you stir boiling food in the pot and I used a homemade cozy for the pot after cooking to keep my food warm.

Tested a set of hammock gear 20 degree top and bottom quilts. These have their new suspension; all I can say is "perfect". My base weight on this trip was about 8.32 lbs; for that weight I love having the benefit's of full lenght quilts; no pads or fussing with anything!

Used my new Black Rock Gear Hadron-S hat; it's a dream to sleep in. In fact, it was almost too warm for this trip; it only got down to around freezing. Another benefit of the Hadron is that it doesn't itch as bad as my wool watchcap did.

I did decide that from now on I'll skip my Gossamer Gear Murmer Pack when I'm packign the full length quilts. The weigh isn't a problem but stuffing them into the Murmur seems to put a lot of pressure on the stitching; from now on I'll use my Gossamer Gear G4 when I'm carrying full length quilts and use the Murmur when I drop down to 40 degree 3/4 quilts.

So it was a great trip; ate well, rested, read a really good book, and even enjoyed a light rainfall at night; I like the sound it makes on the tarp.

Lesson; when you get a chance to go...go.

Here's a link to a short video that shows a part of the river.

Gideon

http://youtu.be/cHPBBqiyNw8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gideon; 01-02-2014 at 12:14.

Sounds like you have a great trip out, always wonderful to hear. Thanks for the report and pic's.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Good tinkering time. Love it!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the adventure. Always nice to get out and just hang, tinker and relax on your own schedule.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Amidon

Looks like you had a good time . Been to the conservation area many times through the years and have had some good trips of my own . Relatively unknown area right there in your own backyard . Hope to get up that way sometime this year to meet up with you guys on a hang .

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Enjoyed your trip report & pics, Gideon.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Gideon,

Nice trip report, thanks. Always nice to get out whether it be solo or otherwise. I do a fair amount of solos and always enjoy the undistracted tinker time that it affords.

That conservation area looks nice. Bet that river is fun to play in when the weather is a little warmer.

Sounds like your gear held up great.

All the best and Happy New Year !
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    You're right about how nice that place is SemperFiGuy. In the summer it can be quite crowded and it's better known as the Castor River Shut-ins. Solo is the perfect time to tinker and I too enjoy a good solo hike now and then.

My kit is almost completely optimized; nothing really major to do to it/for it; anything I do from this point on is just fine tweaking or adapting it to a specific hike.

Missouri has a lot of these conservation areas. They can be busy during hunting seasons but if you steer clear of those times, you can have these places to yourself. They don't affort a lot of "trail time" but if you just want to get out in the woods and hang, or poke around, then they're ideal!

Gideon

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That solo time is mighty good time. I enjoyed your briefing.
    Carry forth and head clear.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator, UGQ
    Thanks for sharing.

• + New Posts