WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

What kind of down?

I am having a real difficult time trying to decide between two top quilts at two different very reputable companies.

The company # 1 TQ has 750 Duck Down and the company # 2 TQ has 850 Goose Down that is treated to be water resistant. The one with 750 Duck Down is much cheaper ($235 vs $295) but is also only .25 oz. heavier than the goose down TQ.

So is goose down really that much better or will I likely be just as happy with the duck down TQ?

Please help me!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    I am having a real difficult time trying to decide between two top quilts at two different very reputable companies.

The company # 1 TQ has 750 Duck Down and the company # 2 TQ has 850 Goose Down that is treated to be water resistant. The one with 750 Duck Down is much cheaper ($235 vs $295) but is also only .25 oz. heavier than the goose down TQ.

So is goose down really that much better or will I likely be just as happy with the duck down TQ?

Please help me!
    Something doesn't sound right with only 1/4 oz difference.
    Are both TQ's rated for the same temp and are they the same length and width?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Links would help keep us from having to ask questions in addition to OutandBack's and get you better answers....such as what are the shell materials of the two TQs?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Something doesn't sound right with only 1/4 oz difference.
    Are both TQ's rated for the same temp and are they the same length and width?
    The sizes are the same and the 850 GD would actually be a little heavier than I stated because I would be getting a larger custom version to match the size of the 750 DD TQ. I didn't include that extra weight because I don't know exactly what it would be. But both would be 78" X 58".

The 750 DD TQ is rated to 30* and the 850 GD TQ is rated to 40* but then I am adding 2 oz. of extra fill to get it closer to 30*. I do know the manufacturer of the 750 TQ uses a fabric that is a little lighter than the 850 GD TQ.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Links would help keep us from having to ask questions in addition to OutandBack's and get you better answers....such as what are the shell materials of the two TQs?
    In respect to the two companies I didn't use their names. Both are excellent companies and post on this site quite often. Company # 1 just has a bit better price point for what I am looking for.

Here is some more info:

TQ # 1:
    78" X 58" 30 Degree Top Quilt
    750-Fill Untreated Duck Down
    10D Fabric
    12.45 fill wight/20.25 total weight

TQ # 2:
    78" X 58" 40 Degree Top Quilt w/2 oz. overfill
    850-Fill Treated Goose Down
    15D Fabric
    12.0 fill weight (with overfill)/20.0 oz total weight (not including adding 3" width to standard wide size)

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python
    If you can save a little longer and get the 850 Goose Down I think that it would be best. My understanding is that Goose Down is lighter and more compressable. I have the Goose and my brother wanted to cut costs and go Duck i talked him out of it and he has no regrets now about paying the little bit more. When it come to Hammock equipment i say get the best that you can afford. If you are going to also be out in the elements alot, ie rain that treated Down is going to be a bonus I'm thinking.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Goose Down......while you can still reasonably do so, and let's hope it doesn't end up costing Eider price points in another 5 or 10 years.

The water resistant treatments seen to be working out, so that's just another plus.

The 850fp, Goose Down quilt, even with additional 2oz overfill should still weigh less than the 750fp Duck, or something is terribly wrong. Pricing on the duck, not sweet enough IMO, but just give it time
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I'm beginning to think that we are all victims of clever and long term marketing programs conducted by the suppliers of goose down.

Fast foward to 2 minutes 11 seconds in this video to see goose and duck side by side.

*Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I'm beginning to think that we are all victims of clever and long term marketing programs conducted by the suppliers of goose down.

Fast foward to 2 minutes 11 seconds in this video to see goose and duck side by side.

I wonder myself. Reading on some duvet sites, they say that their really is no difference except that goose down is more expensive just because there are fewer geese to harvest down from.

I don't know if that is true but don't want to pay a big difference if I am not getting a significantly better TQ.

Get the best you can afford. The 850 treated down is a big deal. Fill Power is the same for either duck or goose. The 10d material is probably the lightest woven material available, I find it interesting that is being used with 750 FP down.
    The quilt should last for many years. I would want it with 10d and 850 treaded down.....But that is me

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast