Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

My first post & my purchasing experience

Now it’s time to embark on my own version of stimulating the economy with all the gear I will need. I’m not in a big hurry to gear up as it is summer here in Florida, which means sewing season for DIY projects; it’s just too hot, sticky and buggy to be out.

I have a history of dealing with the wonderful cottage industry that supplies our addictions. They create high quality, specifically targeted gear to a niche that cannot be bought from mass producers. It’s also nice to deal with companies that when you call or email, the owner picks up the phone or sends the reply.

So, it is with some regret, that my first post is to lodge a tongue-in-cheek complaint against one of these fine cottage producers ;-)

I casually emailed Brian of OES today to just to see what the prices were running on his new and unadvertised spinnaker tarps, the MacCat Ultra SpinnUL (it even sounds cool)! Well … he not only quickly replied to my email … he told me he was just finishing one up and could have it in the mail to me tomorrow!!

Can you imagine the audacity! He (virtually) dangled that thing in my face and dared me to take it! I couldn’t believe he would resort to such tactics! Of course … I instantly replied with my PayPal account and now have an Ultra SpinnUL on the way to me in the mail! :-)

In all seriousness, I chose this tarp for its ability to protect me from the driving, sideways rains we have here in Florida and to use while snow camping in the White Mountains of New Hampshire where I have a vacation place. I am an advocate of retaining as much ventilation as the conditions will allow. IMO this tarp’s shape and tie-out configuration will allow me to partially close off the ends when needed without the extra weight of “doors” and still provide that ventilation. Needless to say, the spinnaker material is not only light, but also it will save the weight of line tensioners as it won’t stretch like silnylon.

While I wasn’t quite ready to make the plunge, I anticipate being extremely happy with this purchase and I want to apologize to Brian for the jest. As can readily be seen on this and other forums, he is a well-respected member of the community.

Be warned, I will soon be asking many question about those Warbonnet Blackbirds … but that can wait for another paycheck!

Welcome, and congrats on an excellent tarp. The jury is still out on whether SpinnUL needs line tensioners. I'm trying one more trip without them. My SpinnUL was flapping in the breeze one windy night on the BMT. I attributed it to paracord tree ties that got wet and stretched, ditched that for 7/64 Amsteel Blue. We"ll see.

• + New Posts