Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnbull Outfitter View Post
    Would you post a link or pics to that wood heated hammock tarp? Sounds interesting.

Would you be able to post or link to a summary of your sock testing? It sounds like your data could help a lot here.

From my experience last night, I am inclined to agree with you given that under certain weather conditions, socks are likely going to exceed a threshold where they can suffer performance problems. That said, a lower humidity might have allowed the sock to manage the condensation. I believe that the full wind break and increase in internal sock temp was enough last night to make the sock worthwhile even with the frost buildup. You could really appreciate the difference when you got out of the sock. I still want to compare it to a Hennessy Typhoon tarp sock mod I made to see how a tarp in sock formation compares as an all in one tarp/sock option.
    I don't want to derail your excellent topic of a Gortex Sock but if you would like to look thru some random picts during the design of my backpack hot tarp here a link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outandb...7639442800244/

As for posting condensation data it is mostly hand written in a note book.
    Sorry oldschool engineer here.
    I have several picts but once you've seen frost on the inside it all kind of looks the same, haha

I really like your winter socks design and the material used.
    I believe if it was modified with adjustable vents you would see a huge improvement.
    These vents would need to be at the RL so when it was snowing a tarp would be required.

These picts are the closes example I've got for my suggestion on venting your sock.
    Shug had the right idea he just needed to make his vent larger and adjustable.
    The colder it gets the bigger the vent has to be.
    Yes you will lose some heat radiating out the top but your hammock and quilts
    are still protected from blowing snow and wind.

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    If frost will form on bug net, I see no reasonable expectation of a sock, any sock, being free of condensation issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed77 View Post
    Love it, Perfect Spring and Fall sock. However entry and exit look tricky.
    I don't believe SLD is selling this sock for winter. I have to concure with oldgringo. Even netting will frost up and block any further venting.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-05-2014 at 14:14.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I'm working on a new sock with a roof of Momentum 90, but I plan to put an overhead zipper along part of the ridge so I can vent moisture on those 32° high-humidity nights to prevent morning rain showers.

Meanwhile, I spent last night in my old faithful sock-tent, quite warm inside with outside temp in the mid-teens. I awoke in an ice palace, but thanks to the cold temp and the Pertex fabric, the ice stayed in place while I gently slipped out of the hammock and out the door. The heavy frost inside was no doubt due to the large dog sleeping under the hammock (her first night in a sock-tent). The bottom half of this sock-tent is silnylon, and there was no frost on it at all. I expected to see some because Freia was down there.
    Would this sock have the tie outs on it and connectors for inside tie out attachment points for hammock?

I am working on design for my hammock sock to work w/ WBBB XLC and am debating on how much room to have underneath, room for feet, gear, place to stand up, dog, etc. Also any thread links.

Continuing to use XLC Top Cover with moderate frost/condensation under varying conditions. Frequently will find frost on the underside of my tarp before even getting in the hammock.

Using a CPAP so was hoping to develop some way to vent exhale through an auxiliary tube outside of the hammock.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Condensation occurs when moist air contacts a cooler surface. All the ventilation in the world won't eliminate contact. Minimize, maybe, but not eliminate.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Soft Tyvek Simple Sock (16G Soft Tyvek – simple fun DIY no-sew project):
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...&cutoffdate=-1
    Made and Used this winter (1/2 season only).
    Set-up: 8.5 up to 11 ft gathered end hammock, Jarbridge ¾ length 30F UQ, cheapo 20F mummy sleepingbag with hood, jacket over my feet (inside sock), and this sock - no pads.
    Clothing worn: knit hat, loose socks and synthetic PJ/longjohn bottoms/tops
    - Temp range +25F to +40F outside, +65F inside test (almost 20 nights so far, 50/50 in/out).
    Warm at these temps – sock adds 10 to 15 degrees thus reduces TQ requirement. No TQ is required ubove 65F (inside tested only).
    - Worst Wind - 30MPH with 15MPH gusts at 28 degrees – feet pointed toward wind and had no drafts inside. My nose/cheeks got cold so I rolled hat/hood down over eyes/nose/cheeks.
    - Water – snow rolled right off, no rain/sprinkler tests until springtime. Suspect it is Water resistant, not water proof. Plan to use with a small tarp.
    - Condensation – none at all – zero, dry throughout these temps.
    - Cost - $31 for 16feet of 16G soft tyvek, $5 tape (includes shipping) - I had excess.
    - Weight – little under 9 oz
    - Durability Ground cloth material and seems very durable
    - Pack size – moderate bulk (3X to 4X sil nylon bulk, weight about the same)
    - Pros/cons – Quiet material like cloth but only in white, no-sew - just cut and tape, breath (and view) is outside, draw cord snugs sock to top of UQ (shoulders), exaggerated ‘U’ top opening allows breath to stay outside sock, requires pre-planning because it goes under ridgeline, you need a detachable ridgeline (or no RL), sock was made for 8.5 foot hammock but works on 11 ft hammock with a ‘cone’ extension on foot end for weather protection, 2 parts are main sock and optional head cover with shoe box.
    Sock scrunched to end of hammock – easy to deploy while in hammock as needed. https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...&cutoffdate=-1
    Day storage with hood keeps all secure and dry. https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...&cutoffdate=-1
    All in one pack up, just roll sock/hammock/UQ up (compared to a 10 1/2 shoe). TQ is separate. https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...hp?i=22758&c=2

Summary: exceeded my expectations for wind protection and heat retention. I’d say easy extends my range to 20F - 70F using my 30F UQ and 20F mummy bag. Add a hot water bottle and it will go well into the lower teens. (I used hot water on 2 nights in high 20Fs and had to vent in the early part of the night.)
    I don’t think I’ll ever use the hood (I always carry a small tarp), but the sock is great.

Original Link: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...0&postcount=17
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123