Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Images
    My side sleeping test went well last night.
    Report:
    It only went down to 26F but for some reason it felt colder.
    I'm guessing it was the 56% humidity. Very high for Colorado.

I was using a WL 15F full UQ and my 2QZQ UQP on top a WL 20F TQ & exped pillow.

Went to bed about 10:30 fell asleep right away.
    No colds spots anywhere. Quilts warmed up quick. I did get up to put on a full face balaclava. The high humidity air was really making my face cold. I slept in 01 fleece tops and bottoms, light down jacket with hood( it's a top quilt plug for drafts), possom down gloves, thin pair of woolsocks.

I woke at 3:30am for a bathroom break.
    I was generally chilled. No specific area just chilled all over and in a moment of weakness I decided to climb in the bed rather than going back out and try to warmup the quilts again. I know lame :-(

General first impressions of the BMBH UL.

I had no trouble sleeping on either side my back or stomach, a medium size firm pillow is a must.
    The hammock feels great and I could find many sweet spots with excellent body support.
    That said, the hammock also feels small I am 5'9" 205#, it kind of fits like a glove.
    I get the sensation there is no extra room.
    This feeling might be coming from my usual winter hammock is an 11x60 covered gathered end with tons of room to move around inside.

Plan to sleep out again tonight.
    I want to checkout the UQ fit to make sure that was not my issue with being chilled if it is adjusted correctly I will swap this quilt out with my heavy winter quilt.
    I will also have a summer TQ at the ready to lay over the 15F TQ.
    I can already tell I am missing a covered hammock in this cold.
    Yes I know 26F and you need a hammock cover... what a lame-O.

This morning I did the Shug bugnet mod on the BMBH UL picture below and as best I could tell the UQ was adjusted correctly so i will be swapping it out.

Conclusion: This hammock is a keeper it's just too comfortable. Will I use it for winter I don't know.
    You can't remove the bugnet (dead weight) and my current winter hammock is a covered Dream (pun intended)

Couple comments on the Shug Net mod.
    I made a removable RL 108" long and used a tarp grip clip and 6" piece of shock cord.

Last edited by OutandBack; 01-07-2014 at 17:28.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    My side sleeping test went well last night.
    Report:
    It only went down to 26F but for some reason it felt colder.
    I'm guessing it was the 56% humidity. Very high for Colorado.

I was using a WL 15F full UQ and my 2QZQ UQP on top a WL 20F TQ & exped pillow.

Went to bed about 10:30 fell asleep right away.
    No colds spots anywhere. Quilts warmed up quick. I did get up to put on a full face balaclava. The high humidity air was really making my face cold. I slept in 01 fleece tops and bottoms, light down jacket with hood( it's a top quilt plug for drafts), possom down gloves, thin pair of woolsocks.

I woke at 3:30am for a bathroom break.
    I was generally chilled. No specific area just chilled all over and in a moment of weakness I decided to climb in the bed rather than going back out and try to warmup the quilts again. I know lame :-(

General first impressions of the BMBH UL.

I had no trouble sleeping on either side my back or stomach, a medium size firm pillow is a must.
    The hammock feels great and I could find many sweet spots with excellent body support.
    That said, the hammock also feels small I am 5'9" 205#, it kind of fits like a glove.
    I get the sensation there is no extra room.
    This feeling might be coming from my usual winter hammock is an 11x60 covered gathered end with tons of room to move around inside.

Plan to sleep out again tonight.
    I wamt to checkout the UQ fit to make sure that was not my issue with being chilled if it is adjusted correctly I will swap this quilt out with my heavy winter quilt.
    I will also have a summer TQ at the ready to lay over the 15F TQ.
    I can already tell I am missing a covered hammock in this cold.
    Yes I know 26F and you need a hammock cover... what a lame-O.

This morning I did the Shug bugnet mod on the BMBH UL picture below and as best I could tell the UQ was adjusted correctly so i will be swapping it out.

Conclusion: This hammock is a keeper it's just too comfortable. Will I use it for winter I don't know.
    You can't remove the bugnet (dead weight) and my current winter hammock is a covered Dream (pun intended)

Couple comments on the Shug Net mod.
    I made a removable RL 108" long and used a tarp grip clip and 6" piece of shock cord.

OK, OB, the comfort thing is great to hear!
    I'm surprised you didn't stay toasty IF quilt fit was good, because for me in general all bridges are extremely easy to insulate.

This may not apply to you because different quilts and all, but I'll toss it out there anyway:
    With my original ( 09 model? ) full size BMBH, the JRB MW UQs fit (lengthwise) like a custom design, which they probably were. Just clip it on and nothing to adjust, it was snugged nicely against my back head to heel.

Only negative was there was a very slight gap at the sides of the hammock, right in the middle. Never could figure out if this actually decreased warmth or not, but I fixed it anyway by connecting a piece of shock cord from loops on the quilt from right to left. Always toasty warm at 10F upwards(my coldest test).

When I got the UL, even though it was supposed to be the same length, it did not work out that way. The directions for putting on an MW quilt was simply to clip the quilts biners to the spreader bar rings on the hammock. But with the hammock set to a 108" RL, the quilt seemed too long and would have a major gap at the sides. I think Acer had the same problem.

I never really worked at fixing this, because about the time I got it I switched to using the torso segment of my JRB MWs convertible. You may have seen the threads where I do a foot end criss cross connection with the JRB shock cord suspension, and it is the best quilt fit I have ever had with any quilt/hammock combo. No gaps at all anywhere. But, I had been wondering if having the hammock suspension adjusted for a greater RL length would have got the quilt to fit better, even if I needed to leave the net unzipped so as not to stress it. I never checked that out, you might make sure you are not getting any of that side gap and that your UQ is not too long for 108" RL. If you have not already. EDIT: I think Acer always hung with a RL a good bit longer than 108"

And I know what you mean about humidity and face cold. In my HHSS test last night, I could not find my neck gator. 85% humidity and 6-8F gave me a cold nose/face that I somewhat fixed with the fleece frost catcher that I hung from my RL. I was glad I was inside the HH overcover also. Face hurt a lot worse when I would get out.

Images
    I don't understand why the UQ was not keeping me warm either.
    It's 3 years old maybe it just doesn't loft as much these days.

I have swapped it out for my full winter quilt and using two 2QZQ breathable UQP's
    One over the top as a make shift sock we will see how tonight goes.
    Both of my WL full quilts fit perfectly. I have nothing sticking out the ends and just a little
    coming up the sides which I like since I lean against the side with my back. No
    hooks are used just the quilts shockcord hook at the rings and up to top ring.

The V opening at the head is my makeshift vent for condensation.
    There is one on each end. Neither of theses UQP'er are for a bridge hammock.
    The top one is supported with a 108" RL that is not tight. The sides are just tucked in.
    Which would not work in wind.
    If there were snaps or a zippers along the sides this would make a pretty nice simple bridge sock.

Last edited by OutandBack; 01-07-2014 at 17:58.

Images
    2nd nite report.
    What a difference a quilt and top cover makes.

22F last night. Went to bed 11:30 and woke 6:30 perfect night.
    Not to hot or cold. Slept on both sides.

Changed what I slept in. No cotton sweats this time.
    Cabelas light silk with 1X micro fleece, light down jacket with hood,
    possom down gloves. No facemask was needed. A top cover is really nice.
    @22F there was no condensation.

This kit is ready for the woods.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-08-2014 at 09:24.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Very nice OutandBack..glad your enjoying your bridge hammock..and they are so easy to modify and sleep in with a variety of gear that is also easy to modify to it. Keep the reports coming.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Very nice OutandBack..glad your enjoying your bridge hammock..and they are so easy to modify and sleep in with a variety of gear that is also easy to modify to it. Keep the reports coming.
    Thanks Acer,
    Have you ever tried your WBRR sock on the BMBH UL?
    If so, any picts?
    I was thinking it would be quite baggy since the RR is so much larger.
    thanks,

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    No,,,I have not,,but will get it out and see how it fits and update with pics tomorrow. Need to definitely find out. Will set up a RR with pics,,and a BMBH UL with pics for you.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    I lobe this thread ,ad I just got a BMBH. I have not had a chance to really test it overnight . But I enjoy reading your posts I think it will help as I get more familiar with the bridge. Thanks
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    No,,,I have not,,but will get it out and see how it fits and update with pics tomorrow. Need to definitely find out. Will set up a RR with pics,,and a BMBH UL with pics for you.
    Wow thanks Acer that would be great. Since no one makes a sock or top cover for the JRB bridge hammocks the WB spindrift is all we have to choose from. Unless you are a DIYer and I am not. I love designing thing but can't sew.

Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    I love this thread ,and I just got a BMBH. I have not had a chance to really test it overnight . But I enjoy reading your posts I think it will help as I get more familiar with the bridge. Thanks
    Cool. The original question for this thread is about sleeping on your side.
    If you get a chance to use your new bridge please let us know how it went
    maybe what you used for quilts, etc and if you could post a pict or two of
    your setup that would be excellent.

side sleeping in a WBRR

It only took two nights to realize that a RR would not work for me even though I am a side sleeper.The problem is I side sleep in a fetal position and there is no way to bend your knees.For me the RR is like sleeping in a coffin,and the sides are like steel rods.The WBBB allows me to side sleep in any position.I will say if you sleep with your legs straight you are good to go in the RR.Just my 2 cents.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast