DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Traveler question... Feet fall out?

A buddy and I both own WB Traveler double-layer hammocks. I believe both are 1.7, we're purchased early 2013. Suspension has been changed to Whoopies on both, structural ridge is the length it came from WB.

Both of us use sleeping bags. I'm about 6' 3", 250 lbs and I'd put my buddy at about 6' and closer to three bills.

My issue is my feet tend to want to fall out of the hammock. The more I go diagonal, the more this happens. I end up sleeping pretty much parallel to the hammock to stay in. Not a problem I've had with other hammocks like a DD Travel hammock, GT ultralight, or tttm double. I mentioned this to my buddy and turns out he has the same issue.

Otherwise I really like using this hammock. Anybody else run into this? Any tweaks or fixes?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Are you using a structural ridge line?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Are you perhaps hanging it a bit too tight? I've had the foot of my sleeping bag (before my quilt) want to fall out of the hammock, but never my own feet.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    Are you using a structural ridge line?
    Yes, per the website the Warbonnet Traveler comes with a 98" long structural ridge. I did use the search function to look for hints and did find posts about that length having varied in production a couple times.

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/no-...ers-travelers/

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Maybe get one that's adjustable and see if you need more or less.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    They're really easy to make, videos on YouTube and dyi gear supply sells 1.9mm cord by the for really cheap

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I had this problem as well with the Traveller (I'm 6'2"), but it was my daughters hammock so I didn't do anything about it. It was also back when I was new to all this, so maybe it was a rookie mistake.

You could consider putting a knotty mod on them.
    Or going with something like a Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owl that has the knotty mod built in.

Knotty mod

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    A google search found the following https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4&postcount=12

Trosen said "Just back from a 3 day trip with the traveller. I found that less slack in the ridge line keeps the sides more vertical, and contains me and my sleeping gear better. The traveller fabric is so slippery that setting the ridge line closer to horizontal reduces sliding towards the ends.

Ted"

I don't really follow what he meant by "setting the ridge line closer to horizontal" but "less slack in the ridge line" I think I can follow... A shorter ridge, right?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    A google search found the following https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4&postcount=12

Trosen said "Just back from a 3 day trip with the traveller. I found that less slack in the ridge line keeps the sides more vertical, and contains me and my sleeping gear better. The traveller fabric is so slippery that setting the ridge line closer to horizontal reduces sliding towards the ends.

Ted"

I don't really follow what he meant by "setting the ridge line closer to horizontal" but "less slack in the ridge line" I think I can follow... A shorter ridge, right?
    Brandon at Warbonnet says that you should set the hammock lower at the head end. He says to do this by observing that the ridge line is lower on one side. Sounds like making the ridge line more horizontal goes against that.

Also everything I've read and experienced says that any one over 5 10 should be in an 11 ft not a ten. I am 5 10 and my 11ft is more comfortable then my wife's 10ft

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    Brandon at Warbonnet says that you should set the hammock lower at the head end. He says to do this by observing that the ridge line is lower on one side. Sounds like making the ridge line more horizontal goes against that.

Also everything I've read and experienced says that any one over 5 10 should be in an 11 ft not a ten. I am 5 10 and my 11ft is more comfortable then my wife's 10ft
    Ok, THAT I follow.

Brandon also says (on his website) that his Traveler is comfortable for someone up to 6'-8. I'm with him on hanging with the head at the lower end though, I've done this for a long time. If I hang the hammock level, my center of gravity wants to slide down to the low point of the hammock, and now my feet are out FOR SURE.

Anyways the WB is a lot longer than the DD Travel Hammock, which I've used successfully even upside-down (bugnet underneath) without falling out of it... makes me think overall length isn't the only answer?

Maybe I should try the WB Traveler with the structural ridge removed, and hung the way I would normally hang one of my other hammocks?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast