Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Great job - I like the storage! Creative and well finished! Where did you get the spreader bars, and (drum roll please......) how much does the rig weigh?

My reasons for asking are purely selfish, I assure you....
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Sweet rig X.

I am the proud owner of a GrizzBridge, and it is by far the most comfy hammock I have ever slept in, so I understand your feelings there. I just wish it wasn't so heavy, if I could get the weight close to my current set-up (within 5oz or so) I would very much consider carrying it on my trips.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brancher View Post
    Great job - I like the storage! Creative and well finished! Where did you get the spreader bars, and (drum roll please......) how much does the rig weigh?

My reasons for asking are purely selfish, I assure you....
    Thanks Brancher. I got the spreader bars from questoutfitters. Check the OP for all the weights.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Sweet rig X.

I am the proud owner of a GrizzBridge, and it is by far the most comfy hammock I have ever slept in, so I understand your feelings there. I just wish it wasn't so heavy, if I could get the weight close to my current set-up (within 5oz or so) I would very much consider carrying it on my trips.
    Thanks.
    Yeah the spreader bars add that extra ~10oz. There is a way to get the hammock much lighter using hikingdad's version of the BH; but the problem still remains in the spreader bar weight. But I may have a solution for that soon without having to use hiking poles for the spreader bars. What is the weight of your current hammock without suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Thanks.
    Yeah the spreader bars add that extra ~10oz. There is a way to get the hammock much lighter using hikingdad's version of the BH; but the problem still remains in the spreader bar weight. But I may have a solution for that soon without having to use hiking poles for the spreader bars. What is the weight of your current hammock without suspension?
    I believe mine weighs about 10oz. Thats hammock with bug-net (attached net with a zipper), two continuous loops, ridgeline with organizer and cuben double ended stuff sack.

I know the weight can be gotten close by using lighter material for the bars (carbon fiber), but I don't think it's possible with a full zippered bug-net. I had some talk with Grizz about this and we came to the conclusion (well he did) that the only way to accomplish this was to get rid of the spreader-bars and use my hiking poles in it's place. So it is possible to get it within 5oz or so but not with a complete package (bars included).

Although I use fixed length poles so I would have to get some adjustable one's to accomplish this.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    The triangle at the foot end is where my feet go but the triangle at the head end is not used as part of the lay area. It will be where i store some of my gear.

Stole some stills from some test footage I recorded. Uploaded one of them for ya..Quality is poor but I will get better pics soon.

This pic makes it look like a camo canoe. Very nice hammock, wish I could sleep in a bridge.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    This pic makes it look like a camo canoe. Very nice hammock, wish I could sleep in a bridge.
    Haha..It doubles as a canoe cover..lol
    Think you just named it for me...The Canoe...lol
    Cant sleep in a bridge?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I had a BMBH and a WBRR and I loved to nap in them, but when it came to sleeping, I just didn't sleep as well as I do in a gathered end hammock. I like to sleep with a leg up against the side of the hammock, and you can't do that in a bridge. I still have a DIY bridge I got off a member here, and it has a synthetic UQ made for it. I slept in it friday (woke up several times), but Saturday night slept in my WBBB 1.1 DL and slept so much better.
    I do love how you can see out of a bridge much better than a gathered end, and I can nap nicely in a bridge. It will be a yard hammock for me.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I had a BMBH and a WBRR and I loved to nap in them, but when it came to sleeping, I just didn't sleep as well as I do in a gathered end hammock. I like to sleep with a leg up against the side of the hammock, and you can't do that in a bridge. I still have a DIY bridge I got off a member here, and it has a synthetic UQ made for it. I slept in it friday (woke up several times), but Saturday night slept in my WBBB 1.1 DL and slept so much better.
    I do love how you can see out of a bridge much better than a gathered end, and I can nap nicely in a bridge. It will be a yard hammock for me.
    I hope I don't have trouble sleeping in mine. I haven't gotten to test it yet. I had alot of trouble sleeping in my hammocks the first 5 or 6 times using them and still do occasionally so I wouldn't be surprised if I have trouble with the bridge the first few times. Hoping it works out good for me.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I believe mine weighs about 10oz. Thats hammock with bug-net (attached net with a zipper), two continuous loops, ridgeline with organizer and cuben double ended stuff sack.

I know the weight can be gotten close by using lighter material for the bars (carbon fiber), but I don't think it's possible with a full zippered bug-net. I had some talk with Grizz about this and we came to the conclusion (well he did) that the only way to accomplish this was to get rid of the spreader-bars and use my hiking poles in it's place. So it is possible to get it within 5oz or so but not with a complete package (bars included).

Although I use fixed length poles so I would have to get some adjustable one's to accomplish this.
    I'd be interested in this, too. My modded BMBH is about 24 oz w/o bars - haven't finished modding yet. I want to get rid of the WB cinches I have on there and maybe shrink the bug net, but those 9-oz spreaders remain. Trimming the foot end bar (as Griz suggests) will knock off a little, but that's not the real solution in my mind. The real solution is either to adapt the hiking poles or get a lighter weight material (like Carbon). I like both ideas, but I think the pole solution may be more doable (and more quickable).
    Last edited by Brancher; 01-06-2014 at 10:09.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast