Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Images

Hammocking with dogs

So I know a few of you hike with your dogs. I recently had to put my dog down after 7 loving years. Now I am wanting to get another and would like to be able to take him hiking with me. So my question is where do you guys/gals let them sleep I have always used a tent until recently so my dogs have always been in the tent with me. Also just for the sake of knowing what breed dogs does everyone have. My old hiking buddy was a Black Lab. My most recent dog that I just lost was a mutt but was woderful and will be missed.

Mike

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I've got a Black Lab/ Border Collie mix(actually two of them male and female)who is just a wonderful dog. I'm going to make him a trail dog this year. On my test hangs in the backyard he slept right under the head end of my hammock on the ground. When I start taking him out I will get him a pad to sleep on under the tarp with me, he's a big baby. He was a Humane Society dog, so I'm glad I got rescue him, the female is also a rescue dog, but I don't think she will do well on the trails, she has became very mean since we put our Golden Retriever down 3 years ago.
    Chris

Images
    So glad you mentioned this! I was just bragging to my GF today about how it will be nice to camp with my dog, Bella under the tarp. I have always been a tent camper, and the thought of Bella shredding the floor on one of our high-dollar tents is no bueno!

Here's a picture of us: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...hp?i=3256&c=10 (sorry about the bad lighting...) What the hey: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...hp?i=3257&c=10 (better lighting, less obediant pose! )

So, my plan is to bring my large tarp, so I can batten down the sides in inclament conditions and still have a nice space for her. I imagine she will be sleeping right next to me, that is how she does it when I nap on the couch at home. I will put a large stake in the ground on the foot end of the tarp, and have a short cable to her collar.

I also plan on trying to bring some sort of bedding for her, which I will thicken as conditions get colder. Does anyone have any good suggestions for car-camping bedding? How about some blue CCF pads?
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 05-03-2008 at 14:51.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I have a Golden Retriever that hikes with me sometimes. I got her when she was still a puppy as a rescue dog, but she still has a problematic hip. So, her hikes are limited to trips where I do less than 7 or 8 miles per day, but she's full of life and has a great disposition...the only hiking partner I've ever had who doesn't complain at all.

When she hammock camps with me, I carry a pad for underneath the hammock, but depending on the temps she often prefers the ground.

Blaze - posing

Blaze - retrieving

“I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    I hiked with my Newfie, Misto, on our two day from Harper's Ferry to Crampton Gap for the MAHHA Hang. I bought the large JRB tarp so that she would have space underneath to sleep. Before I bailed on Friday night, I had a piece of Tyvek for her to lay on with plenty of room under the tarp. She slept there until I fell asleep. When I awoke about 11:00 that night, she was sleeping outside of the tarp on a pile of leaves in the rain. Go figure...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Be careful about getting a "herding" type dog. I met a guy a few years back with a black and white collie type dog. The breed was developed for heading sheep in Scotland and Ireland. The problem he had was she would run up ahead of him, find a group of deer and herd them back to him. He would find himself with a dozen or so deer running directly toward him!

Images
    Sounds like a good girl to me!

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    Be careful about getting a "herding" type dog. I met a guy a few years back with a black and white collie type dog. The breed was developed for heading sheep in Scotland and Ireland. The problem he had was she would run up ahead of him, find a group of deer and herd them back to him. He would find himself with a dozen or so deer running directly toward him!
    Yeah I already know that I am going to get a Lab or a Golden from one of the local rescues. I am also going to get my daughter a puppy that will possible be a Lab or Golden also. I am excited about a new dog but also feel like a trader becouse its only been a short while since we had to put down our last one.

Mike

Images
    Don't feel that way! Check your PM's.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Images
    Thanks for the support. I know I am not a trader it just feels that way. I'm more cocerned about my daughter, she's taking harder than any of us.
    Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast