Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies

At camp pack storage

In my tent days, I always kept my gear under a vestibule. I've watched probably 30 of Shug's videos and I know he carries some kind of ground covering and puts his stuff under his hammock.

So my questions. What are the options? If rain isn't expected, can I hang my pack from my tarp ridgeline (on the tree) or the hammocks tree strap with a a-biner? I'm not sure if that makes sense. But thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I hang my pack from my hammock ridgeline (1.75 mm Zing-It). Since I sleep head right, feet left, there's all that unused space on the feet right side. I don't even notice it's there.

I used to put the pack on the ground under my hammock, but a red squirrel stole my Bahco folding saw and tried to take it up the tree with him - not sure what he was gonna do with it. After that, no more pack on the ground.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I usually use a piece of tyvek for a ground cloth under my hammock and store everything there, but if you know that you're not going to have rain, you might just take your pack, put the straps facing toward the tree, wrap both straps around and clip the sternum strap together. That way you won't be adding any stress to your tarp line nor your hammock suspension. You also have a convenient way of putting stuff in your pack and taking things out of it. Be warned not to do this on a pine tree, still trying to clean off the sap from my last adventure....

EDIT: Great, not only do we have to contend with bears, now we have armed Red Squirrels!!!

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I either bring an extra tree strap and hang my pack wrapped in CF liner....or use a gear hammock. Agree that I don't like leaving anything on the ground.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/jef...ockpack-cover/

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    I can't say that I use any one method. Depending on weather, terrain, if I'm going to need anything while in the hammock like clothing (mostly socks). I'll use all methods to store my pack. I generally don't like to hang from my tarp ridge lines though, I feel that it tends to make the tarp sag.
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Since hawghanger mentioned gear hammock... I bought Jeff's pack cover/gear hammock from JRB. Then I couldn't figure out how I could make it work with my SB Pro without making it more like a gear bag instead of a hammock. Anyone know if I'd need to add side tieouts? I added the grosgrain for the ridgeline addition, so I'm more comfortable sewing now.

And I wasn't sure how much weight I'd be able to throw in there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Treyuca View Post
    Since hawghanger mentioned gear hammock... I bought Jeff's pack cover/gear hammock from JRB. Then I couldn't figure out how I could make it work with my SB Pro without making it more like a gear bag instead of a hammock. Anyone know if I'd need to add side tieouts? I added the grosgrain for the ridgeline addition, so I'm more comfortable sewing now.

And I wasn't sure how much weight I'd be able to throw in there.
    I use a small biner to clip one loop to my hammock suspension and the diagonal loop to my hammock side pullout. The gear hammock suspends parallel to my hammock. I really like being able to reach misc clothing or gear without getting out of my hammock.

With my tarp/shelter/cook kit/water out of my pack, I've never had a problem stowing remainder of my gear in the gear hammock. They advertise it as being able to be used as a water bladder - as such the only weight limit is probably restricted by what you're attaching it to rather than the gear hammock itself.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok. Thanks. I have to wait for my UQ to get here before I can figure out where to add the side pullouts. I had given up on the pack cover also being a gear hammock. Do you have any photos of it hanging parallel? The only photo I've seen is the JRB photo where it's up pretty tight to the hammock bottom. Is that what you mean?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Treyuca View Post
    Ok. Thanks. I have to wait for my UQ to get here before I can figure out where to add the side pullouts. I had given up on the pack cover also being a gear hammock. Do you have any photos of it hanging parallel? The only photo I've seen is the JRB photo where it's up pretty tight to the hammock bottom. Is that what you mean?
    I don't have any good pics but this one from JRB website is what it looks like:

I've always clipped mine to the whoopie on one end of the hammock. The clip slides down and rests against the hammock.
    I like the idea of hanging it on the hammock ridge line. I too have had issues with squirrels rooting through my bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast