sld treerunner dl
    Tarp
    toxaway
    Insulation
    hg incubator uq
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies

How much pack space does your

hammock/tarp/quilts take up? Normally, I lash my tarptent to the back of my pack and my sleeping bag and pad goes inside. I just got a hammock and am now looking at tarp (a must) and an underquilt (at minimum).I have tried the CCFpad but it just seems too large/bulky for a backpacking trip.

so, if I choose to hang on the next trip, my pack will now contain a tarp, hammock, UQ and TQ or sleeping bag plus all the necessary rigging Am I going to need a larger pack too? When you pack (assume a spring or fall trip, 4-5 days) what size pack do you use and how much of it is occupied by your hammock system? thanks.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    well i guess it depends on your gear as to how much room it will take up, down is going to compress much more than synthetic for quilts and a asym tarp will take up less room than a winter tarp

my suggestion would be to get the equipment together and take it all to an rei or similar, most places will let you pack up different packs to see what size you need

i myself have a ULA Circuit and my hammock/tq/uq/tarp/ probably takes up 50% or maybe a little less of the main compartment volume

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If your coming from a UL tarp camper background, you will see a difference in pack weight/gear.

But for most, the added weight vs. comfort/better sleep is the deciding factor.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Hard to say accurately since I don't know what you have, but I'll suggest that a hammock and tarp should be about the size of the tarptent, if not smaller... an UQ/TQ combo should probably pack about the same or better than the sleeping bag/pad combo. If you're keeping the sleeping bag, then there's a good chance the UQ is a little more bulky then your pad, possibly a little heavier depending what you have - doesn't have to be, though.

Don't psyche yourself out with the "all this additional stuff" mentality. Just slow down and realize we're not all crazy with what has become a standard hammock setup. There are plenty of hangers out there using small packs, so I'm sure getting the right setup for you will be just a matter of going through the options so that you don't have to get a new pack.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    As others have already stated it is going to depend upon the specific gear you carry. A UQ & TQ combined will take a bit more room than a comparable sleeping bag, but you won't have the pad to worry about either.

For my personal setup, Hammock and quilts takes about half of my pack's internal space, my tarp takes hardly any room in an outside pocket. Most of my stuff is DIY and not with the lightest/thinnest materials available, or even what is used by our wonderful manufacturers.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Having come from a wet climate on the coast, a tarp was always a necessity even if you had a tent. Setting up a tent in a downpour and expecting things to stay dry is a bad idea. So for me a hammock setup was not only more functional and comfortable, but it was as light or lighter than UL tent systems in the end. A tent still needs bottom and top insulation, stakes and lines, poles...
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Depends on what time of year.. almost all of my multiday hiking is done in the summer.

For a tarp, I use a HH sil Asym, it weighs 8 ounces and packs up about the size of a 20 ounce soda bottle. Coverage is good, as long as you hang it with your hammock centered in the tarp. If I'm expecting really bad weather, I'll bring the HH sil hex tarp, which packs down to roughly the size of a 1 liter soda bottle.

For quilts, during warm weather, I use an AMK Escape breathable Bivy that weighs 8.5 ounces, and is about the same size (volume wise) as the hex tarp. It's warm enough to use into the low 50's comfortably.

For a hammock, I'm currently using this: My SL 1.1 10' long hammock with dynaglide suspension

A google Nexus 7 tablet shown for comparison... weighs in at 9.3 ounces with a half bug net

Those three things will fit easily into the lid of my Exos

For a Spring of fall trip, Expecting lows in the low- mid 40's, I'll add in a pair of fleece throw blankets ($3 walmart specials) that I modified.. on I added suspension to for an UQ, and the other I added a foot box to. Those, in conjunction with the escape Bivy has taken me down as low as 42* comfortably. It could go lower, I'm sure.. but I've never tried it..

Edit: As far as pack size, during the summer I use an Exos 34, and I've gone as far as 5 days on it without resupply. For fall or spring, I jump to an exos 46, the longest I've gone with that is 4 days, but that was not limited by pack size, it was simply the planned duration of the trip.
    Last edited by hk2001; 01-06-2014 at 10:54.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    As others have said it depends.

If I am pushing for the minimum possible pack size I can get away with a smaller pack with ground camping gear. But I don't sleep on the ground well. The little bit extra volume that the hammock gear takes up is far made up for in the ability to sleep. For a 4-5 day trip I usually am using a 50 litter pack. For 2-3 days I can cut that down to a 38-40 litter pack.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    Summer 30L

Spring/Fall 55L

Winter 72L

hth

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've actually reduced my pack size following the switch to hammocks. As listed on my profile, my 3 season gear is an UL 6oz hammock, light/highly compressible down quilts, and a cuben tarp. The hammock and suspension packs down to the size of a baseball, the tarp folds up flat to about a 6x8 rectangle, and the quilts compress down to about the size of a football, no larger than any of my down sleeping bags. I have loads of extra room in my Osprey Exos 58. It is possible to reach UL weights and packability based on gear selection.

In contrast, I could pack my 6 lb 90x156 DL tablecloth hammock with heavy weight tree straps, and my ultra cold quilt set, winter tarp and pretty much fill my 85L Osprey Argon pack. In reality I'm more likely I'd be pulking this setup rather than carrying it.

Michael

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast