Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thread Injecting Essentials?

Hey folks, got a thread injector for Christmas and getting some practice in. I've made some passable stuff sacks, a dog leash & collar, etc. My question is what techniques are essential to learn for us gear makers? For instance, I've already spent hours trying to do longer rolled hems and have largely been defeated (they may work but are ugly and uneven.)
    My local seamstress mentioned that this is a pretty advanced technique to start with, especially on lightweight ripstop nylon. But, is it really needed for hammock hems and channels? What about bartacks, french seams, etc?
    Ultimately I want to be able to make my own tarps, add/repair straps, maybe graduate to a TQ, etc.
    So, what are the essentials I should be learning before taking on these projects?
    Thanks for any feedback.

For rolled hems, I iron the folds first. Especially on silnylon. The fold won't remain but the creases will. I also don't do 1/2" rolled hems, mine are 1/4". I find this easier to do when working on a curved line.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20deg Incubator
    Suspension
    WWBB stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    For rolled hems, I iron the folds first. Especially on silnylon. The fold won't remain but the creases will. I also don't do 1/2" rolled hems, mine are 1/4". I find this easier to do when working on a curved line.
    That is a great piece of advice. Thanks
    Scoutmaster troop 4312 Jackson, MI

If it's not fun, don't do it

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    If you're trying to do hemming on cat cuts it's usually necessary to put little slashes in the edge of the fabric to ease the tension on the curve. If you're doing 1/4" folds then use little scissors (I like thread scissors for the job) and cut just maybe 3/16" of an inch (short of the fold mark) into the fabric. Depending on the severity of the curve that you're working on you may have to do it every inch or so. A lesser curve will be okay with 2" or more between the cuts.

As always, practice on either cheap fabric or scraps before you try using it on the real job.

I also taught a couple of pre-teens who had trouble pressing folds consistently to use a piece of file folder marked with the 1/2" from the edge as a guide. Folding fabric over evenly consistently takes practice.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The single most important technique to master is to be able to sew a straight line. Everything else springs off of that one skill. And I do mean everything. If you can control the fabric to sew straight you can adjust control to sew a curve. After all a curve is nothing more than an infinite series of straight stitches offset to each other. Folded hems, french seams, flat felled seams all rest on an advanced level of fabric handling but that is just learning by doing. There are shortcuts and special tricks like snipping curves but the basis of all that is a straight line of stitching. Get there and the world is your oyster.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The single most important technique to master is to be able to sew a straight line. Everything else springs off of that one skill. And I do mean everything.
    Sounds like good advice. I'm beginning a series of classes tomorrow at the shop that sold me the machine. They asked me to bring some materials and a list of what I want to learn beyond the basic machine set-up and said they will help me get started right. I knew enough to tell them I wanted to learn to properly hem lw ripstop nylon and bartack webbing but was at a loss beyond that. Thus, the question about what are the essential thread injecting skills for a DIY gear maker.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Look at Ramblinrev's signature. He's got some thread injection stuff right there.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    ...Thus, the question about what are the essential thread injecting skills for a DIY gear maker.
    One skill that is critical, but still escapes me, is the willpower to never, and I repeat never turn the hand wheel backwards while you are sewing. Sometimes I stop to make a turn and think I can get by turning the hand wheel backwards "just 1/8th of a turn" to get the needle back in the fabric. It invariably causes a lockup and having to cut thread and start again.

So don't forget to ask at the class "what shouldn't I do".

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I have learned that even after replacing many many needles over the past year and a half, I still occasionally put one in backwards which tends to ruin my day until someone points it out or I finally figure out what I did.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Sometimes I stop to make a turn and think I can get by turning the hand wheel backwards "just 1/8th of a turn" to get the needle back in the fabric.
    Stop the needle just before you want to turn the corner. The reason for this is to set up for a very slick and little known trick to get nice sharp corners.

Your turn stitch will cut across the corner like the bottom of a triangle. _Just one stitch._ Then when you turn the project right side out you can use a corner tool or letter opener or some such other nice blunt tool to push that corner out and make it nice and sharp. That one stitch allows the fabric to poke through and make a sharp point as opposed to being up against a stitch which prevents it from shaping nicely. Remember to "cut that corner" and you'll stop early enough to not have to move the needle back into position.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast