Custom Trail Lair; Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator/Bandit 0
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

SOL Sport Utility Blanket

I searched the forums threads and haven't found any devoted to this product, so I thought I would ask.......

I am looking at UQ options and my funds are extremely limited. I currently use a fleece sleeping bag liner that I converted to a UQ and it does pretty well in cool temps (50's) but isn't warm enough to get me through the night at 40 and below (even with a ccf pad between the UQ and my ENO DN). I use my 30* sleeping bag as a TQ, but my size (girth) limits my ability to cocoon into it and be comfortable in the hammock. I tried putting the pad directly under me in the hammock, but made for a very uncomfortable night and still felt cold on backside. I want something that will keep my backside warm in colder temps. I know that the best set-up would be to bite the bullet and get a UQ, but I am still a season or two away from this option.

I saw this SOL SUB
    (http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com...y-blanket.html)
    and thought it might work as a UQ. It has grommets for hanging and isn't going to be super noisy like a mylar emergency blanket.
    I've read the post's on vapor barriers, but I'm still confused about possible negative affects from hanging this kind of blanket under the hammock.
    I was thinking that I could add a few more grommets to the blanket and attach to my biners with bungee cord.

Any thoughts on this proposed set-up or other ideas are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    At 11.3 oz, and not really being insulation (it's a heat reflector and vapor barrier, not dead air insulation), it's a fairly poor choice for an under insulator.

Now, I do use a space blanket (one of the cheapo Coghlin's ones) as part of my under insulation, but that's more to prevent air movement than anything else. I crumple it up into my poncho/undercover as a semi-Garlington Insulator (minus the trash bag that a Garlington normally goes into). I wouldn't recommend it for most folks below ~55* F, and I personally don't like to use it below ~50* (though I've survived a night at 41*) even though I'm an human furnace when I sleep.

For the weight and cost of that space blanket, I'd spend on another CCF pad and double up on 'em in the hammock. That will offer you more insulation and be more likely to keep you warm.

If (and this is possible; I've had this happen with Insultex, which is CCF in all but name) it's condensation that's causing you to be chilly overnight, try placing an absorbent material over the CCF. That fleece you have might just be the right thing for it; it'll absorb some of the condensation and prevent you from being too chilly.

Otherwise, if you're looking for an underquilt that isn't super expensive (but is somewhat heavy; I don't know if you're hiking or not), check out Dejoha's wonderful threads on Poncho Liner UnderQuilts (PLUQs):

No-sew version (scroll down to post #7 for the corrected directions)

Sewn version

I've used the no-sew version down to ~40* F; I'd recommend it for most folks down to ~45*. The sewn version that I made with a square of InsulBright inside has taken me, comfortably, as low as 24*. I'd recommend it to freezing for most folks.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator/Bandit 0
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Thanks Rider! I'll definitely look more into the PLUQ's more closely. I have skimmed the threads before, but didn't really take the time to read about them in depth.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator/Bandit 0
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I watched the video by FLRider on his PLUQ and read some more about them. Seems like it might be a perfect solution for the foreseeable future. I got so excited that I went to the local Army Surplus at lunch and picked up a gently used PL for $18.

FLRider showed in his video how he folded the PL in half. I'm curious about the benefits of folding the PLUQ, essentially doubling it up. Was there a noticeable difference in warmth by folding the PL? Has anyone tried the PL both ways? Pro's and con's?

Thanks for the suggestions, posts, and video's.

• + New Posts