Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Just posted this review of a super light weight 4 season stealthy set-up. If you need to go light, compact, breathable, waterproof, and get into low temps, check out my recent project...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83114

Cheers and best!~
    Last edited by 2Trees; 01-08-2014 at 11:57.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Heading out tonite.

HH Deep Jungle XL w/o reflectix pad
    HH Overcover#2
    HH Hex with doors
    DIY Ray Jardine Top Quilt
    Prototype Hammock Underwoobie, 5.0 Climashiled Apex, Multicam 1.5 Epsilon outer shell, 1.1 Marpat inner shell. Quilt is 58" x 82"

Polar Edge merino wool zip front shirt w/long underwear, long sleeve button front cotton tee shirt, sweatshirt hoodie and pants, cotton sox with DIY down stockings made from sleeves of JCP puffer jacket and a Carhart beanie and a JCP puffer jacket.

Three thermometers, one outside tarp, one inside tarp, one inside hammock/overcvover. Temp of all 3 at 2100 was 29*, clear sky, calm wind. At 2114 placed a Smartwater bottle full of hot (not boiling water) inside hammock under top quilt. Time now is 2149 and am consuming hat beverage. Will retire at =/- 2200 with alarm set for 0630.

Baled at 2430. Just finished that quilt and its a new suspension idea which I set up in the dark, probably not the best course of action on a night like that.

OK, some indoor testing to see where the tweaks need to be.
    Update:

Repeated test inside with heat off.

Conditions: Temp was 46* at 1930. No wind.

Hammock: Channel end 12' long 1.1 Marpat DIY

Clothing: Cotton Jammies (don't judge)

No overcover, no hot beverage, no hot water bottle

Preliminary results: Snug as a bug in a rug. Got out at 2130 to check e-mail and make this post.

Preliminary conclusion: Underwoobie doesn't work well with Hennessey Asym Hammocks. Previous attempt was abandoned due to cold air intrusion. HHDJ was hung without using the side tie outs for maximum sag, but the shape possibly allowed air in. I wore the cotton pajamas in order to be more sensitive to cold air coming in and where it might be coming from, and with the channel end hammock there was a perfect fit with absolutely no cold air intrusion. I began feeling warm immediately upon getting in the hammock.

Future development: Will continue experiment tonite to see if hammock stays warm, and if so, will look at adding loops on side of Underwoobie to allow use of side tie outs and re-test to see if that will make it suitable for Hennessy hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow! I have to put you down as a contender for :"mostest with the leastest" category, a thread I was considering starting. This would not include Cryofthewild as a contestant though, just to give some of the rest of us a chance.
    Being it was in the backyard, it's fun to just play. Had I been out for real, I would have had the luxury of my pulk to pull behind me on snowshoes with more proper gear I'd actually be out with.. I was actually out just long enough to settle in good and realize that I would have slept a few hours. I was never toasty warm from underneath, just cool, but not uncomfortable cool. Very uniform so I know I had no drafts or cold spots.

However....one simply can not pass up a chance at testing this low and I've been in this game for years. I remember the Hanging Holy Grail to be at 10* and me and mataharihiker testing out some of the first crude underquilts that guys were making for her to test. Those were some fun and rather chilly days. But she made them work even with her being 6' tall and just 115 lbs due to the illness that took her life eventually. She would have loved to see us now regularly out in sub-zero temps with no problems. I really miss that sweet lady.

All that being said. If I had to be out in those elements, I would really prefer a snowcave of Quinzee. They stay a lot warmer, are simple to make with some skill and practice.

I would have no problems being out in -15 with my set up and my performance clothing and look forward later this week to a full night out now that i know the true limits of the UQ. My bag rocks and I've been good to -10* a few times in it.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Pappy, If you have a zippered chest pocket on your shirt, that would be the spot for your alcohol and batteries. Also, go with lithium batteries. They work closer to -40*F rather than NiCad batteries. I believe they go to around -5*F to 0*F or something like that.
    Thanks! I'll arrange to have a pocket. I was thinking of replacing the NiCad batteries so might as well try Lithium.

Appreciate the advice.

Pappy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post

However....one simply can not pass up a chance at testing this low and I've been in this game for years. I remember the Hanging Holy Grail to be at 10* and me and mataharihiker testing out some of the first crude underquilts that guys were making for her to test. Those were some fun and rather chilly days. But she made them work even with her being 6' tall and just 115 lbs due to the illness that took her life eventually. She would have loved to see us now regularly out in sub-zero temps with no problems. I really miss that sweet lady.

I only knew her from HF and she did seem like a sweet lady!

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I only knew her from HF and she did seem like a sweet lady!
    She along with a few others like myself, got into it quite a while ago. long before hammocks were mainstream. She was more into pushing the limits while some of us others got frustrated in the cold. She was hooked up with all kinds of people in the gear game and they would send her out to test their stuff.

She had a hard time taking in calories because of her surgeries, the radiation treatments and the fact that she couldn't produce saliva. It took her hours to eat what can only be described as "goo". It was very hard for her to take in the calories she was expending in her forays outdoors, but we always got her out there.. It was painful to watch. But, even in a weakened state, she tweaked the components of gear, clothing and physical preparation to help others learn how to do it.

To this day, she is the only person I know to have a major hammock manufacturer name a piece of accessory gear after her.

I would have loved to see her be around long enough for fb and the explosion of YouTube videos. No doubt, her and Shug would have hooked up on the trail (they were close enough) and delivered some really great stuff as she was just as much a character as he.

Those two people have done more for hammocking than anyone.

Images
    Wow!............

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Extremely cold sleeper here. Knowing this about myself when I purchased my under quilt I purchased a 0°. I also purchased a 20° top Qulit both very well-made. My problem is staying warm below 40°, I freeze all night.
    I have been struggling now for months trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have watched Shugs videos. They are great btw . I have read a lot on this forum and made changes to the way I hang my qulit and the clothing I wear. This past weekend in Ocala at the Buck Lake hang .The temperature dropped to 31°. I was freezing all night.
    This is the list of gear I was using:: 0° UQ down
    20 deg TQ down
    WBB single layer
    Super fly tarp with doors closed
    I was wearing long thermals
    Hiking pants over them
    Two pair of wool socks
    Thermal undershirt
    Down jacket
    Gloves
    Fleece beanie
    One hot water bottle
    My feet were freezing, the rest of my body stayed cold.
    Am I missing something? Am I supposed to have something between me and the Qulit. Would a under quilt protector increase the temperature? Would a travel sock work better? Should I use closed cell foam padding? Could it be the wind? Could the material my under quilt is made with be to thin? I truly would appreciate any helpful input. I am also trying to keep all of my gear light enough for backpacking.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Something isn't adjusted right. Your best bet is to lie in the hammock while someone else adjusts the UQ to fit properly. Preferably someone who is experienced with them. When I got my deep winter setup ready, it went from feeling a slight cool spot under me when hanging inside, to overheating in about 30 seconds after my wife adjusted it properly.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Ironhic Is there air space between you and the topquilt?

If there is, try filling the space with a fleece blanket of take off your down jacket and lay it on top of you.

Bottom quilt adjustment is critical

I would suggest starting by hanging in the house, or basement if possible. Only wear thermals and one pair of med weight wool sox, and beanie. you can easily tell where the cold spots are and in small steps eliminate them.
    Move to outdoors or colder temps after you have mastered setup perfectly
    It is all about the practice
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast