Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

weight limits to the marlin spike

So apparently using pencils as spikes is not such a good idea!!! Granted it could have been my setup? I was hanging from the ceiling so the woppies are not tight Or I'd be to high but They are spread apart so that the ridgeline is pulled a little. So I make sure I'm "on the knot" and lay down no problem. Then my pretty little wife walks by and I say jump in. "H%&& no" is her response. Well with much coaxing she finally agrees and ever so gingerly sits down and raises her feet. About that time I say "see I told" and we hit the ground! Upon inspection the pencils on each end where broke as well as my pride and my wife's trust so anyway I am sure I was on the knot why would this have failed? Loose angle of knot to woopie? The woopie was ON the knot should I have made sure it was above the knot? Or is a pencil just not strong enough? I would think it is as strong as a aluminum arrow. Thanks I advance I'm planning on a 90x156 DL tablecloth Hammock for us to share with 1/8 amsteel woopies and straps but don't want to use carabiniers or anything like that

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    You may want to make sure the sling was over the knot without touching the toggle. The way this read it sounds like the sling was on the pencil.

I have used a pencil before, in a pinch and it was ok.

Good luck...
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    What was the angle created between the whoopies and attachment points on the ceiling? I wonder if the whoopies slid off the knots, breaking the pencils.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    I would use something that can take the load itself as insurance.
    Will a pencil take shear load of 400lbs (guess)?
    A lot of the load ends up on the knot, but as things shift, it can end up on the spike.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    If you were hung correctly. I would think the problem would be compression on the pencil damaging it and leading to failure. In terms of a pencil being stronger than an arrow shaft, bite a pencil then bite a piece of tubular aluminium, see which dents more, you can mark a pencil will your finger nail, I woild also bet it will snap much easier as well.

I managed to crush a set of carbon toggles made from an old fishing rod, I presume because of the way the fibres are aligned, they did not snap, so I was not dropped.

I am currently usong some toggles made from some large oak branches that had been blown down behind my parents house and they are doing well, they have been compressed a little in the centre but there appears to be no structural damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    You may want to make sure the sling was over the knot without touching the toggle. The way this read it sounds like the sling was on the pencil.

I have used a pencil before, in a pinch and it was ok.

Good luck...
    It was on the knot right where the strap and knot meet but not above it on just the strap. AndYes it worked all weekend for single people 150-240lbs even After the mishap but didn't try to get it over 400 again!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    What was the angle created between the whoopies and attachment points on the ceiling? I wonder if the whoopies slid off the knots, breaking the pencils.
    Ya I'm wondering this too I will set back up after work and take some picks so you can see the setup
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    I would use something that can take the load itself as insurance.
    Will a pencil take shear load of 400lbs (guess)?
    A lot of the load ends up on the knot, but as things shift, it can end up on the spike.
    Solid advice I have a bit of 3/8 aluminum rod I think I'm going to try

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    It sounds like the pencil was strong enough to hold you before your wife got in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratrodder69 View Post
    ...The woopie was ON the knot should I have made sure it was above the knot? Or is a pencil just not strong enough? ...
    You may want to ensure the sling is "above" the knot and not "on" the knot. Putting it above the knot will let it slide down and settle between the knot and suspension "locking" it in.

If you make the MSH(marlin spike hitch) and lift the knot in one hand while putting on the sling, you can pull on the sling and let it settle into(above) the knot while lowering the knot.

Not saying to the strength of the pencil, just on how to maximize the MSH holding strength.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    If you were hung correctly. I would think the problem would be compression on the pencil damaging it and leading to failure. In terms of a pencil being stronger than an arrow shaft, bite a pencil then bite a piece of tubular aluminium, see which dents more, you can mark a pencil will your finger nail, I woild also bet it will snap much easier as well.

I managed to crush a set of carbon toggles made from an old fishing rod, I presume because of the way the fibres are aligned, they did not snap, so I was not dropped.

I am currently usong some toggles made from some large oak branches that had been blown down behind my parents house and they are doing well, they have been compressed a little in the centre but there appears to be no structural damage.
    It does compress tighter than I thought then. That was the weird thing is the pencils where in half not thirds with the middle still in the knot. Both halves ( all 4) were scattered around the room a couple feet away and The strap was hanging straight down with no knot

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    It sounds like the pencil was strong enough to hold you before your wife got in.

You may want to ensure the sling is "above" the knot and not "on" the knot. Putting it above the knot will let it slide down and settle between the knot and suspension "locking" it in.

If you make the MSH(marlin spike hitch) and lift the knot in one hand while putting on the sling, you can pull on the sling and let it settle into(above) the knot while lowering the knot.

Not saying to the strength of the pencil, just on how to maximize the MSH holding strength.
    That's what I was wondering I just didn't want to pinch my new woopie

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If your using 1" straps, the diameter of the strap created by the knot that the whoopie will be in contact with should be equal to or larger than the diameter of the whoopie if your using 7/64 amsteel. You should be ok.
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 01-06-2014 at 18:58.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast