Hello from Ontario!

Hi all. I've only been using a hammock for a few trips now, but am hooked. I've converted my two buddies after they saw how much better it is than the ground! I feel like there's so much out there I still need to learn. I only even stumbled across hammocking through Shug's videos. I'm using a stock Hennessy, but actually started out in the snow using a grand trunk and diy plastic tarp. I was so warm and comfortable i was blown away. I mostly backpack (whenever I can get away) and am trying to get my wife and kids into them. I look forward to talking to everyone here!

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi JKeatsy,

Let me be the first to welcome you to HammockForums! I'm a former Hennessy'er myself, although I switched over to the Warbonnet Blackbird in 2013.

If your interested in getting together with some other Ontario hammockers, keep an eye out for an EGL hang (links on my signature notes below). We have one coming up this month in Valen's Conservation Area and another at the tail end of February.

Cheers man, welcome aboard!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums! The number of Ontario hangers is steadily growing. As my friend Chard alluded to, there is an active group here that gets together for trips so keep an eye out. Hope to meet you at a future hang.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hi JKeatsy,

I thought I was the only person in Peterborough area with a hammock. I have been sleeping in the back yard for the past 2 nights. I am going to chicken out tonight with the wind. If you are thinking of going to Valen's Conservation near Hamilton let me know and we can car pool. At this point I haven't decided to go by myself. I don't want to miss a weekend of fat biking although I could ride there.

Hey thanks everyone! I'm always looking to get out and I'd love to get together. My time is limited right now as I have 6 and 4 year old girls and a 3 month old boy and I've promised to take my brother-in-law out in April for his first crack at hanging. But I'm going to make sure I get out to a group hang in the very near future!

rofo, great to meet you! I don't blame you at all heading inside with this weather. My first time hanging was in last Aprils' snow/ice storm. There was no wind then and temps were down to 0C...not like -30C they're calling for tonight! That being said, what does everyone use for insulation? I've been sleeping on a 3/4 piece of Reflectix and a sleeping bag and have stayed warm. Just a lot of shifting and sliding around. It seems like UQ are more comfortable, but I don't want to spend too much $ just yet.
    Last edited by JKeatsy; 01-06-2014 at 21:25. Reason: one more thing

All the info. you are asking about is on this forum, just search. I have done a lot of reached on this stuff and have purchased a few things, PM (personal message) me and perhaps we can get together and I can bring you up to speed faster and show a few things it have.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rofo View Post
    Hi JKeatsy,

I thought I was the only person in Peterborough area with a hammock. I have been sleeping in the back yard for the past 2 nights. I am going to chicken out tonight with the wind. If you are thinking of going to Valen's Conservation near Hamilton let me know and we can car pool. At this point I haven't decided to go by myself. I don't want to miss a weekend of fat biking although I could ride there.
    Pleeeaaase bring the fat bike to Valens! I've been dying to check one out. Also, if you can get down to the 401, I can drive the rest of the way.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Oh, and welcome to the forums, JKeatsy
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's