sld treerunner dl
    Tarp
    toxaway
    Insulation
    hg incubator uq
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies

A ? for the gear heads here...

after Santa brought the hammocks for me and my better half, I am now in the market for 2 tarps and 2 UQ's. Will use our existing sleeping bags as TQ's for the time being. I am reading, researching, etc. on the various forums here.

so the ? is, back around Black Friday and through Christmas, many of the vendors offered holiday coupons or discounts. is there any other time of the year to expect these type of promotions? I hate to ask but the gear I mentioned will be a significant investment for us. as always, many thanks.

btw, I do look at the for sale forum here also and will continue to do so.
    Last edited by 4shot; 01-06-2014 at 21:16.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Until I find what I really want or "need" in tarps, I chose a 12' Kelty Noah off Amazon, which does go on sale once in a while. Once I've been through a few weather trials and know what I want from a tarp, I'll spend the money for a good one from a vendor here. Probably custom, and very large as I bike, not hike (motorcycle).

In the past couple years there have been some advances in poles and pockets that hold the tarp away from you leaving lots more usable room inside, and I imagine removing the pole and lowing the ample sides would give excellent bad weather protection as well. The tech keeps improving as creative entrepreneurs keep having better ideas. At some point you have to pull the trigger and make a choice, but if it turns out there's a better widget, the for sale area is a great place to buy or sell.

Glad Santa was good to you!

Oh yeah, I haven't met the other vendors personally yet, but Paul of UGQ does top notch work and has innovated new down technology in his products. Makes some great tarps too! I met him at the First Annual Black Hills Hang a couple Summers ago. He's got a great work ethic, and the cajones to ride a 250cc scooter across country! I've been enjoying my 20F Zeppelin underquilt.

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python
    Not that I was able to find. I was wishing and thinking the same as you. However Underground Quilts is running a 2014 special of 5% off on an order of both a Topquilt and Underquilt which is something they didn't do last year. I tried, tried, to get my brother to order on thanksgiving / Black Friday. He didn't listen so he had to take the 5% deal instead of the approximately 12-15% deal that they were running . Only other thing you could do is try and buy used on this forum the key is spotting a True Deal.
    Last edited by _jstevens2010_; 01-06-2014 at 21:36.

• + New Posts