Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around

Cutting TQ Down A Size

Hi All,

I am currently using my Mt Rogers as my top quilt, and thinking about trimming it a little to shave some weight and size it more appropriately to a hammock TQ. The quilt is in great shape (like, perfect), but at 62" wide and 84" long, it tends to pile up on top of me in my hammock. Then, too, when I'm on the ground there seems to be more quilt than I need.

So, I'm thinking of trimming it to around 52-54" wide, getting rid of the full-length velcro, and maybe keeping the length intact - or maybe taking 4 inches off length (but probably not).

First, is this a dumb idea? It'll save me a few hundred bucks on a new TQ, and I frankly never have used this quilt on my home bed. Even the UQs out there are only 48" or so, so in its present state my Mt Rogers seems to want to be trimmed a little. But might I do better to just sell this and pick something else up?

Second, what is a really good width? Seems everybody makes their quilts to be between 48-55" for slim to XL. Even the long/wide ones are only 55" or so and 78-79" long.

Third, with the full-length velcro on both long edges, I figure I can trim at least 5 oz from the quilt, establish more loft (since the down will be in a skinnier area), and a better fit for my 6' 190 lb frame in my gathered-end rig.

I'd like to get a sanity check from some smart people before I fall into my 'Sweeney Todd' persona and go to town on it.

THANKS!!!
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm sure this can be done...I feel that it would be very messy. I'm 5'11'' , 190 and I made my TQ finished 50 x 78. its perfect for me. If I were to attempt this I think I would shake all the down to one side, sew a line of stitching where I wanted, and then cut and hem. I have a thing about modifying perfectly good gear....I'm scared to do it. If you do it, make sure to post some pics....I want to see the finished product!
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I am not a great DIY'er, so I wouldn't attempt it. I would sell it and get what I needed, or try and trade it for what I need. Just my $.02 for what it's worth. Good luck to you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    I'm sure this can be done...I feel that it would be very messy. I'm 5'11'' , 190 and I made my TQ finished 50 x 78. its perfect for me. If I were to attempt this I think I would shake all the down to one side, sew a line of stitching where I wanted, and then cut and hem. I have a thing about modifying perfectly good gear....I'm scared to do it. If you do it, make sure to post some pics....I want to see the finished product!
    I agree - I've already shaken the down to one side and it is very clean there, so I don't think it will be a terribly big job. But you're right, there's a little angst. Thanks.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I am not a great DIY'er, so I wouldn't attempt it. I would sell it and get what I needed, or try and trade it for what I need. Just my $.02 for what it's worth. Good luck to you.
    I have thought about that as well....still on the fence. It's a $300 piece of kit, though, and I cannot hope to get even close to what it is worth, especially to order a new TQ with adequate fill and treatments. Thanks.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I'd see what you could sell it for. Gear here often sells for close to retail.

Think of it this way: if you screw the pooch, there's no going back.

Have you made/modified gear before? How are your sewing skills?

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I'd see what you could sell it for. Gear here often sells for close to retail.

Think of it this way: if you screw the pooch, there's no going back.

Have you made/modified gear before? How are your sewing skills?
    Yeah, I know about the pooch part. I'm pretty good at sewing (not perfect) - made tarptents, tarps, bivies (goretex and non-gore), and planning a UL rain shell right now. Never done down from scratch, but this isn't from scratch.

I know a little bit about the process, since I've made about every mistake known to man...... But this one is't all that hard - just a double-rolled seam on each side with either a straight or curved taper top-to-bottom. Just need to make sure I don't blow up the drawstring channels at top and bottom. But you're right -- risk/reward, etc, etc.

Maybe I'll throw i on the FS board to see if it goes quickly. Just hate to get rid of it, since it's part of the family....
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    I went back and forth on this whole 'to cut or not to cut' thing, weighing the cost of new or used vice cutting the Mt Rogers, and after considering that the uber-large MtRogers is bigger than I need even if I'm on the ground - and after a pretty lively conversation with my wife during which she said - and I quote - "No, we won't put that quilt on our bed..." (she said it twice ), I decided to do the deed.

Here it is, with pics. The only thing left is for me to decide is footbox finish - cinch or sewn, snapped or hooked, etc, etc. I'm open to suggestions on that, but right now I am thinking I'm gonna sew some triptease loops and secure with either mitten hooks or buttons or something (maybe just a long shoestring). Open to suggestions there.

BTW, the Mt Rogers / FrankenTQ is still 84" long, but is now 53" at top to 42" at bottom. I may chop one down cell out to cut 6" or so from the top, but I won't make that decision until after my next trip. It also went from 31 oz to 22.3 oz in the process , has a touch more loft, and seems easier to manage. Below are 'before pics. Next post are 'process/after' pics.

Enjoy the pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brancher; 01-12-2014 at 09:55.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around

After

'Process / After'...

For now foot box is cinched and pinned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Looks great and sounds like it will now be exactly what you want.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast