Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Asym Exp.
    Insulation
    TR Pad w/IX Liner
    Suspension
    Huggers/quick rel.

Hennessy Hammock Pros and Cons

Looking for opinions on the Pro and Cons of the Hennessy Hammock original bottom entry vs. the newer side zip version? Debating on which one to go with.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I prefer the convenience of the side zip, but my husband who has bad knees loves the bottom entry. I had my DJ XL modded with the 2QZQ #4 zipper mod to make it easy to adjust the UQ, or get in and out of either side of the hammock.

Bottom entry good when it is buggy, easier to get into and keep the bugs out.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I originally purchased the HH Explorer Deluxe with bottom entry only. After several outings, I sent the hammock to 2QZQ for their mod #4 to give me zip off access with respect to the bug net.

IMO, the only advantages of the bottom entry is access in/out with minimal exposure to insects, and arguably easier entry/exit for those with limited mobility. While I liked the bottom entry features, I found that re-positioning my UQ and/or HHSS pad every time I got in/out was too much trouble. In addition, I kept wanting to reach "through" the bug netting to pickup something outside the hammock, or to adjust my underquilt. With the 2QZQ mod, I now have the best of both worlds.

The room and comfort of the HH ED is very good, but this is the only hammock I own so I have limited comparison. If forced to choose between your HH options, I would recommend getting the zip version, or send it to 2QZQ for their modification.

Good luck!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    I originally purchased the HH Explorer Deluxe with bottom entry only. After several outings, I sent the hammock to 2QZQ for their mod #4 to give me zip off access with respect to the bug net.

IMO, the only advantages of the bottom entry is access in/out with minimal exposure to insects, and arguably easier entry/exit for those with limited mobility. While I liked the bottom entry features, I found that re-positioning my UQ and/or HHSS pad every time I got in/out was too much trouble. In addition, I kept wanting to reach "through" the bug netting to pickup something outside the hammock, or to adjust my underquilt. With the 2QZQ mod, I now have the best of both worlds.

The room and comfort of the HH ED is very good, but this is the only hammock I own so I have limited comparison. If forced to choose between your HH options, I would recommend getting the zip version, or send it to 2QZQ for their modification.

Good luck!
    What he said!

I would add...the bottom entry is also great in those blasting storm conditions where you've got the tarp pitched steep and tight, and getting in through the side entry means pressing your body up against the tarp to get in/out.

Given a choice of ONLY one or the other...I'd recommend the side zip as well. Not being able to reach easily in/out of the hammock for items or to adjust under-insulation was the primary reason I sent mine in for the 2QZQ mod #4.

But...if you think you'd have the money to send it in for a mod in the future...I'd recommend a bottom entry with the mod done. Best of all worlds that way, and worth the price for me at least.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'd definitely go with a side-zip. No question. More options for underquilts, the ability to access the hammock from the outside (e.g. throwing your clothes/soft-gear into the hammock while packing). Ability to escape from the inside.

Case-in-point: My first trip using a bottom-entry Hennessy in conjunction with a tightly hugging DIY underquilt became a nightmare when I found myself urgently, frantically, desperately, trying to claw my way out to answer a rather unforgiving call of nature in the dead of night. I was on the verge of pulling out my penknife and slashing my way out when I somehow managed to extricate myself from that nylon shell from hell. Within a day of getting home from that trip, I was already halfway through my DIY zipper conversion.

Personally, I'd only recommend the bottom entry for someone hanging in remote locations without access to repairs, where a broken zipper and compromised mosquito netting could mean the difference between disease/disaster and a good night's sleep. So basically for anyone doing an Amazon river trip.

But that's only my 2 cents.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post

Good luck!
    I did all the same things for all the same reasons. Good advice all around. If you ultimately intended to use a UQ go zip from the start. I didn't picture myself winter camping. Now I'm out in the cold every chance I get.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    I have both. The bottom entry is great in the summer. When you are using uq, pads, ss it can be tricky getting in and out when using these. With the zip it is easier using these things.
    I do recommend the 2qzq mod4. It will give you the best of both worlds. I have not used a zip model in the summer. I do know I had no problems with bugs with the bottom entry last summer.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You may want to research the prices of the different Hennessey bottom entry hammocks and add in the cost of the 2QZQ zipper mod, then compare that to the hammocks with the zipper, and see what your cost savings would be either way. I do love my 2QZQ #4 zipper mod on my DJ, but it was a zip model to begin with, and now it has a zip on both sides and the net can be completely removed and stored in the peak bag. Love it!!!
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH Asym Exp.
    Insulation
    TR Pad w/IX Liner
    Suspension
    Huggers/quick rel.

Thank you

Thank you for all of the input….I feel like I am starting as a rookie wilderness explorer again. This will be my first go around with a hammock and it seems like the zip/mod is the general consensus….thanks again to those who replied.

Happy trails

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I prefer the bottom entry. I like the quick in and to keep insects out and with some limited mobility it makes entry much easier. But, I just sent both my HH out for a mod 4 to make adjustments easier . That way I have best of both worlds, zip and bottom entry

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast