Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Catenary/Bridge Arc channel without cut?

wondering what happens if one sewed a suspension channel in an arc on a body of fabric, but did not cut the fabric top edge...here's what I am thinking for an insulated bridge hammock....body is rectangle, suspension webbing, 2" seatbelt webbing or similar, or polyester webbing straps..sewn into the hammock body at an arc like a Catenary curve....way I envision it, it would mean the straight edge above the cat curve would be floppy with no tension, right? this would provide me with an easy way to attach a rectangle UQ/TQ/Pod to the bridge hammock by keeping the 56-58" body the same width all the way, but suspension being a bridge type, giving me a bridge hammock effect with a floppy top side edges holding the UQ/TQ/Pod? this is just one idea.... if I don't like gathered end hammock from the same material....

has anyone experimented with this sort of design? I noticed almost all the bridge hammocks, as opposed to the spreader bar hammocks, have a cat cut one way or other...and also noticed that there's integrated bugnets on a few...I was thinking if I needed to add a bugnet, maybe I could just use the floppy top edge on the sides for attaching the bugnet to.....

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    How would you sew it into the hem? Cat cuts are not totally nesasary you could just follow hikingdads or grizz's directions and omit that cat cuts. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    well. the hem would be above the cat arcs; but the suspension would follow the arcs if I sewed the channel in the cat arc area on the blank, while leaving the hem of the blank edges rolled and sewn?

Guess what I am envisioning, is I roll and sew the rectangle hems and then make a cat arc pattern, and sew the suspension channels onto the pattern drawn, but without cutting the fabric to follow the pattern? it would require at the least, double or triple stitching on the channel stitches....would it require reinforcement on the channel if I do not have the hem follow the curve?
    It would be basically have two D shaped areas of fabric on the areas that is normally cut off, which would be the mounting points for either an UQ/Pod system or a bugnet or both....

EDIT: I thought the purpose of the catenary arced suspension was to provide equal tension on the middle and a flatter lay in the middle for a bridge hammock, as opposed to a rectangle spreader bar hammock....

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    How would you sew it into the hem? Cat cuts are not totally nesasary you could just follow hikingdads or grizz's directions and omit that cat cuts. Good luck!
    I thought both of their bridge hammock designs had catenary curves.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I don't understand how floppy edges would "support" an UQ.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    well it would be floppy without support, yes, but I was thinking run a line on the top edge hem to the suspension bridge points, thus supporting both the UQ and the fabric? anyways, just sewn up a channel end gathered hammock; will see how it feels first, and then if I want bridge or something..it's under 9ft right now, due to end channels; so it might end up becoming a bridge....will post pictures when I hang it up for first time

• + New Posts