UT>Official 2014 Utah Hang Flaming Gorge

Flaming Gorge 2014 Hang Date June 12-15 Check In 1400 Check Out 1300

At SkullCreek campground.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ashle...72177&actid=29
    Reservations Recreation.gov
    http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Sk...ex=CampingSpot
    Ashley National Forest Information
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5276871.pdf

The beautiful scenery and wildlife at Flaming Gorge Reservoir will leave you talking for years to come. From High country meadows and plains, to rich valleys and deep terrains this area will simply amaze you. Red Canyon is over 4000 feet across, and over 1400' deep. With numerous overlooks and paths you can get out and see nature as it was intended.
    Abundant wildlife can be seen at every elevation. At the higher elevations elk, moose, white tailed deer, brown & cinnamon bears, Bighorn sheep, and some Mountain Lions have been seen.
    The Flaming Gorge Reservoir has a history of being known as one of the west’s greatest fisheries. From the world record German Browns caught throughout the 70’s and early 80’s to the state record lake trout, rainbow trout and brown trout, Lake Flaming Gorge is known for holding big fish. This 91 mile long reservoir holds numerous trophy species, including rainbow trout, brown trout, lake trout (Mackinaw), kokanee salmon, tiger trout, small mouth bass, largemouth bass, carp, channel catfish and burbot.
    Red Canyon is a fantastic gorge carved over the years by the mighty Green River. In 1964, the floodgates of Flaming Gorge Dam were created from the waters of the Green. The color contrast between the red walls of Red Canyon and the green/blue color of the lake is indeed photo worthy. This route follows the south side of the canyon rim and provides many spectacular overlooks of the lake below.
    And more bike riding, hiking, kayaking, fishing or just laying around the campsite.
    For the kids in us.
    http://www.dinoland.com/

Fishing the Green River
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by arczeneb; 01-07-2014 at 23:34.

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    I will be at site #14 check it out unavailable. My dates are Wednesday thru Sunday #of occupants I put 8 with 2 vehicles, tent (typo should read hammock). Site #15 and #12 are open. Site #15 max length 45 need to secure this one and #12 is a pull out both full shade. Hopefully when I arrive one of the two walk in sites will be claimed by me. Nine sites available.
    Why #14 if the photos are true this area is more open for a hang plus I can get farther back away. Four days of hiking, camping and kayaking.
    Set you time off or vacation and come enjoy the Flaming Gorge.

At the rim canyon overlooking the gorge.
    http://www.flaminggorgecountry.com/m...dCanyonRim.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by arczeneb; 01-07-2014 at 23:28.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Site #12 secured for Thursday 6/12 - Saturday 6/14. Booked for 2 cars & 10 people. This is a pull through site, so I'll bring my trailer with my fishing cat & maybe a touring kayak. Float & fish section A one day, and do a little kayak touring another?
    Let's go hang at the Gorge!
    KJ
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Images
    Looks wonderful. Thanks for the picts.
    Any suggestions for the best town to pickup an outofstate fishing licence?
    I plan to bring my 14' Kayak.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer Hammock
    Tarp
    9x12 Tyvek
    Insulation
    Wool Blanket
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My family of 5 is in. Do I need to reserve another site of have enough been reserved and we can split one with someone?
    Keep it simple. The more crap you have and the more complicated it is, the more likely it is to break. Get back to basics man!

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Is this what you are looking for.
    http://wildlife.utah.gov/licenses/

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Trout Creek Fly shop in Dutch John should have everything you need. But getting it ahead of time will save time. Looks like Red Canyon lodge is at the end of the road past Skull Creek CG and they will have the recreation passes that we'll need if we float the river or paddle the lake.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    For those that are going to be driving around Dino Land. Jones hole is a very good hike for the whole family and is amazing. It is a bit remote, but is accessed on a paved road.
    If you have young kids, just hike part way down and turn around. Lots for kids to see.

http://www.nps.gov/dino/planyourvisi...sholetrail.htm

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    For the fisherpersons in the group..... here's the Trout Creek Fly website. Has good info & a hatch chart.
    http://fishutahsgreenriver.com/

Section A is 7 miles long and goes from the dam to Little Hole. It's a gorgeous canyon just to float, but it's also a blue ribbon fishery. There are 10 named rapids in section A. They are rated II - II+. Mother-in-law rapid is the trickiest one (II+), but if you can read water remotely well you should be fine. There is also a good trail along the north side of the river all the way, so you can hike, wade and fish. I'll be bringing my mini-cat on my small trailer, so if others want to float section A, we can shuttle my rig down to Little Hole to pick us up. I should be able to fit a few small boats on the trailer. Shuttle takes about 45 minutes if I remember right??? I do know that speeding on the Little Hole road is a bad idea (ask me how I know that ). River requirements are.....PFDs at all times, spare oar or paddle, bailing device if not a self -bailer, and floatation in canoes.

I've never done any kayak touring on the main Flaming Gorge res. but would love to if I have a touring SOT by then. I know there are lots of boat launches. I do know that there's a nice swimming beach over at Mustang Ridge that might make a nice launching spot?

Red Canyon Lodge near the Skull Creek CG has an amazing overlook of the reservoir. It's a must see. Tons of fun stuff to do. I'm not a hiker, but I'm sure there are lots of good hikes to do.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I reserved #15. 10 hangers, 2 vehicles.
    Last edited by SnrMoment; 01-08-2014 at 11:40.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast